[comp.text] dvi technical details needed

arenberg@trwrb.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) (11/15/88)

Does any know or have reference to the technical details of the dvi file
format.  I am particularly interested in the definitions of the op codes
and the arguments used.  Any help is appreciated.  Please respond my
e-mail.

Jeff Arenberg
UUCP : ( ucbvax, uscvax ) !trwrb!csed-pyramid!arenberg
GEnie: shifty

gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (11/18/88)

In article <830@csed-pyramid.trwrb.UUCP> arenberg@csed-pyramid.UUCP (Jeff Arenberg) writes:

>Does any know or have reference to the technical details of the dvi file
>format.  I am particularly interested in the definitions of the op codes

"TeX: The Program", by D. Knuth, section 583.  Published by
Addison-Wesley.  This is THE reference on DVI files.

>                                    Please respond my
>e-mail.

I tried, but Rutgers says that "csed-pyramid" is a bad system name.
--
  Gerald A. Edgar                               TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet
  Department of Mathematics                     gae@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

calhoun@m.cs.uiuc.edu (11/18/88)

They are described in detail in Part 31 of the "B" book:

TEX: The Program
By Donald E. Knuth
(Addison Wesley)

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (11/19/88)

|Does any know or have reference to the technical details of the dvi file
|format.  I am particularly interested in the definitions of the op codes
|and the arguments used.  Any help is appreciated.  Please respond my
|e-mail.

The source of dvitype, dvitype.web. Weave it and print it as a TeX file.