[comp.text] OED 2nd edition, compact version

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (11/18/88)

In article <2610018@hpsal2.HP.COM> morrell@hpsal2.HP.COM (Michael Morrell) writes:
>Does anyone know of any plans to print a "reduced" version of the Second
>Edition (similar to the currently available two-volume version of the First
>Edition plus Supplements)?
Yup, there'll be one.  And it'll be at a price that normal people can afford.
If Book-of-the-Month Club picks it up like they do now, that'll be even
nicer.  But it won't be for sale for a couple of years after the big
second edition is published.  I couldn't possibly imagine why...
Tim Bray, New OED Project, U of Waterloo

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (11/23/88)

Michael Morrell's question:
> Does anyone know of any plans to print a "reduced" version of the Second
> Edition (similar to the currently available two-volume version of the First
> Edition plus Supplements)?

...has been answered affirmatively by Tim Bray.  However, there's one
other thing that has not been pointed out.  Namely, that the First Edition
plus all the Supplements makes *three* reduced volumes.  The third volume,
consisting of Supplement-ary matter only, is available on its own
for a price which I don't remember except that it's between $50 and $100.

Mark Brader		   "... there is no such word as 'impossible' in
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto	    my dictionary.  In fact, everything between
utzoo!sq!msb		  'herring' and 'marmalade' appears to be missing."
msb@sq.com	    -- Douglas Adams:  Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency