[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V88 #104

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (11/30/88)

TeXhax Digest    Monday,  November 28, 1988  Volume 88 : Issue 104

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%
%%%
%%%                         SPECIAL NOTICE
%%%
%%%              First Announcement and Call for Papers
%%%                   TeX Users Group Annual Meeting

Today's Topics:

                   Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #95
                        A reasonable DeTeX
                         A new MS-DOS TeX
                      \hbox causes a \break
                 New LaTeX environment, subeqnarray
                        Possible LaTeX bug???
                       Yet another LateX bug?
                    LaTeX--\includeonly with \cite
               Including a MacDraw file in a LaTeX document
                    Math fonts in a LaTeX document
              Needed: Bold math symbols in script style
                     Bold Math Symbols Obtained
                    LaTeX--the small caps command
                   A new and improved LaTeX manual?
        Separate chapter bibliographies with LaTeX and BibTeX
                    Needed: a public domain dvi2ps
           Needed: a \special for dvi2ps that will invert text

                First Announcement and Call for Papers
                    TeX Users Group Annual Meeting
                    Ten Years of TeX and METAFONT
                         August 21--23, 1989
                       Stanford University, USA

Conference

   The 1989 TeX Users Group Meeting marks the tenth annual meeting
   of  TUG. The  theme of  this year's  meeting  is "Ten  Years of
   TeX and  METAFONT" and  many more  to come.   Our  attention is
   no longer  on how  to get TeX  to work,  but is now  focused on
   how TeX should co-exist  with other applications such as report
   generation and office automation.
        The keynote  speaker for this  year's meeting  will be Don
   Knuth.   He will  present his  paper about the  history of TeX,
   entitled "The Errors of Tex".  This year's 3-day annual meeting
   in  August will  be  conducted  as the  highlight  of  a 2-week
   conference  during which  courses will  be  offered in  TeX and
   TeX-related subjects.

Call for Papers

   In  order to publish  a preliminary  program announcement  in a
   timely  manner, it  is requested that  you contact  the Program
   Coordinator  (at  the  address  listed  below) not  later  than
   January 30,  informing him of the paper  you intend to present,
   and with a  short abstract of the proposed  paper.  Papers will
   be selected by February  20, and authors notified as to whether
   their paper  may be  presented or not.    The finished abstract
   is due  by March  27.   The  first draft of  the paper  for the
   proceedings will be  due by April 24.   The finished paper will
   be due shortly after the conference.

        Depending on  the number of  requests to  present a paper,
   the conference may have  some parallel sessions.  Following are
   some suggested topics, though papers are not limited to these:

      * TeX from the manager's viewpoint
      * Production Uses of TeX; unusual situations we overcame
      * Integration of graphics, half-tones, and scanned images in
        TeX output; software, hardware, or methods
      * METAFONT fonts:  font construction
      * Non-METAFONT fonts:   availability  and how  to cope  with
        them
      * LaTeX: Examples of success with difficult jobs;  how to do
        them
      * TeX and Postscript:   hardware or software; what  is used;
        what is needed
      * TeX Training:  beginning,  advanced, manuals;  what works,
        what doesn't
      * TeX Adjuncts:   Design,  integration of  the pieces,  user
        interfaces, problems
      * Using TeX  as part  of a  larger system  (such as  desktop
        publishing); extensions to TeX; subsets of TeX
      * Call for problems; inherent limitations of  TeX. Why don't
        you use TeX?

Calendar

   Preliminary Notification & Abstract . . . . . . January 30
   Papers Selected . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . February 20
   Finished Abstract Due . . . . . . . . . . . . . March 27
   First Draft of Paper Due  . . . . . . . . . . . April 24
   Annual Meeting  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . August 21--23

Program Coordinator

   Preliminary Notification and Abstracts should be directed to:

                  Dean Guenther
                  Washington State University
                  Pullman, WA 99164-1220, U.S.A.
                  Phone:  509-335-0411 or BITNET: GUENTHER@WSUVM1

TeX Users Group

   Questions  concerning  any  other  aspect  of the  meeting  (or
   conference) should be directed to the TUG Office:  401-751-7760
   (Eastern Time) or electronic mail:  TUG@MATH.AMS.COM

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 15:33:31 EST
From: shashi@E.MS.UKY.EDU
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #95

 If you use dvialw the dvi to apple laser writer driver from Beebe Nelson
 it will recognize pk, gf and pxl files. The sources are avaiable from
Beebe Nelson for the price of  a tape.

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 15:44:00 CST
From: Marcus Brown <MEBROWN%UA1VM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: A reasonable DeTeX

I have a copy of TeXTools 1.0, dated 1/25/87 from Stanford, but
I would like to extend the DeTeX program so that instead of
simply stripping out all command sequences, it replaces the
appropriate ones with their translations, eg. `\TeX' becomes `TeX'.
This would allow better results from `spell', `style' and other
Writer's workbench type tools.

Obviously, I am not anxious to do this if someone else has already
done it. Is anyone already working on this?

Thanks for your help.
- Marcus Brown        mebrown@ua1vm.ua.edu

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 11:01:05 GMT
From: "Wayne G. Sullivan" <WSULIVAN%IRLEARN.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: A new MS-DOS TeX

SBTEX.ARC will be available from VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU from 16th Nov by
anonymus FTP. This version of TeX developed using Turbo Pascal 4 has a
smaller EXE file and is slightly faster on some but not all my test files
than other MS-DOS versions to which I have compared it. It does not have
quite the memory space as some other versions, but on a 640Kb PC it will
handle LaTeX and AMSTeX. Though it has been tested on TRIP and numerous
other files, no doubt there are lingering bugs. More widespread use will
help to find these. For those unable to FTP, perhaps some other sources
will obtain the archive and make it available elsewhere. I shall not reply
to individual requests. My thanks to James A. O'Brien for setting it up
at VENUS.
                                 Wayne

Date: Wed, 16 Nov 88 01:29 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001%IRUCCVAX.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: \hbox causes a \break

I want a macro which says:

     \def\x #1: {\par\hbox to1in{{\bf #1:}\hfil}\quad}

in order to do some automated memo generation, saying eg \x To: fred
and getting all the headers lined up. When I run it, I get the "To:" part
on one line and the "fred" on the next. I rememeber having this prob
with \hboxes a long time ago when learning TeX and I thought I'd gotten
out of it. What am I doing wrong? Why doesn't the \TeX macro do a line
break: *it* is a \hbox itself, isn't it?

...Peter Flynn

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 10:54 N
From: <BRAAMS_S%HLSDNL5.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU> (Johannes)
Subject: New LaTeX environment, subeqnarray

    Hi all,

        We have defined a new LaTeX environment, subeqnarray. This
        environment behaves like eqnarray except that it number the
        equations 1a, 1b etc. In order to be able to refer to these
        subequations the command \slabel had to be defined. I enclose
        a sample file and the file subeqnarray.doc

    Regards,

        Johannes Braams

        PTT Dr Neher Laboratories,      Phone:        +31 70 435172
        P.o. box 421,                   BITNET/EARN:  BRAAMS@HLSDNL50.BITNET
        2260 AK Leidschendam,           SURFnet:      DNLONE::BRAAMS
        The Netherlands.                              (48229::BRAAMS)
                                        PSImail(X.25):PSI%2041170358::BRAAMS

----------------------------------- Cut here ----------------------------------

\documentstyle[a4,11pt,subeqnarray]{article}

\begin{document}

This document shows an example of the use of the {\em subeqnarray} environment.
Here is one:
\begin{subeqnarray}
\label{eqw}
\slabel{eq0}
 x & = & a \times b \\
\slabel{eq1}
 & = & z + t\\
\slabel{eq2}
 & = & z + t
\end{subeqnarray}
The first equation is number \ref{eq0}, the last is \ref{eq2}. The eqation as
a whole can be referred to as equation \ref{eqw}.

To show that equation numbers behave normally, here's an {\em eqnarray}
environment.
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{eq10}
 x & = & a \times b \\
\label{eq11}
 & = & z + t\\
\label{eq12}
 & = & z + t
\end{eqnarray}

These are equations \ref{eq10}, \ref{eq11} and \ref{eq12}.

\end{document}

----------------------------------- Cut here ----------------------------------

%+
% Subeqnarray DOCUMENT-STYLE option -- Version 1.0 released 15 November 1988
%    for LaTeX version 2.09
%
% Copyright (C) 1988 by Johannes Braams, Dr Neher Laboratories
%
%    This style option defines the subeqnarray and subeqnarray*
%    environment, which behaves like the eqnarray environment,
%    except that the lines are numbered like 1a 1b 1c etc.
%    To refer to these numbers an extra label command \slabel
%    has been defined.
%
%    Many of this code was taken from LaTeX.TeX and modified for
%    this purpose.
%
% Revisions:
%-
\typeout{Documentstyle option `subeqnarray' V1.0;  Released 15 November 1988}
%
%    A new counter for he subequations
%    and a command to generate the number
%
\newcounter{subequation}[equation]
\def\thesubequation{\theequation\@alph\c@subequation}
%
%  \@subeqnnum: Produces the equation number for the
%     subeqnarray environment.  The following definition is for
%     flushright numbers; for flushleft numbers, see leqno.doc.
%     The {\rm ... } puts the subequation number in roman type even if
%     an subeqnarray environment appears in an italic environment.
%
\def\@subeqnnum{{\rm (\thesubequation)}}
%
%    A new label command to refer to subequations. It works
%    like the \label command and was taken from LaTeX.TeX
%
%  \slabel{FOO} then writes the following on file \@auxout :
%        \newlabel{FOO}{{eval(\@currentlabel)}{eval(\thepage)}}
%
\def\slabel#1{\@bsphack\if@filesw {\let\thepage\relax
   \xdef\@gtempa{\write\@auxout{\string
      \newlabel{#1}{{\thesubequation}{\thepage}}}}}\@gtempa
   \if@nobreak \ifvmode\nobreak\fi\fi\fi\@esphack}
%
%    Here's the subeqnarray environment,
%        it steps the equation counter,
%        sets the subequation counter equal to 1
%        and behaves much like the eqnarray environment.
%
\def\subeqnarray{\stepcounter{equation}
\let\@currentlabel=\theequation\global\c@subequation\@ne
\global\@eqnswtrue
\global\@eqcnt\z@\tabskip\@centering\let\\=\@subeqncr
$$\halign to \displaywidth\bgroup\@eqnsel\hskip\@centering
  $\displaystyle\tabskip\z@{##}$&\global\@eqcnt\@ne
  \hskip 2\arraycolsep \hfil${##}$\hfil
  &\global\@eqcnt\tw@ \hskip 2\arraycolsep $\displaystyle\tabskip\z@{##}$\hfil
   \tabskip\@centering&\llap{##}\tabskip\z@\cr}

\def\endsubeqnarray{\@@subeqncr\egroup
                     $$\global\@ignoretrue}

\def\@subeqncr{{\ifnum0=`}\fi\@ifstar{\global\@eqpen\@M
    \@ysubeqncr}{\global\@eqpen\interdisplaylinepenalty \@ysubeqncr}}

\def\@ysubeqncr{\@ifnextchar [{\@xsubeqncr}{\@xsubeqncr[\z@]}}

\def\@xsubeqncr[#1]{\ifnum0=`{\fi}\@@subeqncr
   \noalign{\penalty\@eqpen\vskip\jot\vskip #1\relax}}

\def\@@subeqncr{\let\@tempa\relax
    \ifcase\@eqcnt \def\@tempa{& & &}\or \def\@tempa{& &}
      \else \def\@tempa{&}\fi
     \@tempa \if@eqnsw\@subeqnnum\refstepcounter{subequation}\fi
     \global\@eqnswtrue\global\@eqcnt\z@\cr}

% Here's the subeqnarray* environment:

\let\@ssubeqncr=\@subeqncr
\@namedef{subeqnarray*}{\def\@subeqncr{\nonumber\@ssubeqncr}\subeqnarray}
\@namedef{endsubeqnarray*}{\nonumber\endsubeqnarray}

Date:  Wed, 16 Nov 88 10:37:54 est
From: Bill Alford  ACSnet: bill@phys0.anu.oz
Subject: Yet another LaTeX bug?

The following small piece of LaTeX code is not producing the desired result.
    \documentstyle{article}
    \begin{document}
    then column $i$ is the vector
    \( \left(
             \begin{array}[t]{c}
                 \xi_1 \\ \vdots \\ \xi_l \\ 0 \\ \vdots \\ 0
             \end{array}
       \right).
    \)
    \end{document}
Above the \xi_1 is an undesired large box containing nothing which appears to
be the same height again as the desired box containing the array, all of which
is contained in big bracketing delimiters which appear to be twice the size
that they should be. The code works correctly if the optional vertical
positioning argument [t] to the \begin{array} is removed, but the default
centering vertical positioning is not what is desired. Is this a bug, or does
anybody know how to overcome this problem (without using a negative \vspace)?

Bill Alford  ACSnet: bill@phys0.anu.oz
SCU RSPhySc, ANU, GPO Box 4, Canberra ACT 2601, Australia

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 08:36:24 CST
From: RHLHELP@venus.tamu.edu
Subject: LaTeX--\includeonly with \cite

Here is a problem I have been working with no good results. The problem
as the user describes follows:

To:	RHLHELP
Subj:	help on latex

The problem is the following.
I have a main file that is of the form,

\documentstyle...

\includeonly{file1,...,filen}

\begin{doc..}
\tableofcontents
\bibliographystyle{..}

\include{file1}
\include{file2}
\include{file3}

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (12/04/88)

Date: Thu, 17 Nov 88 15:33:31 EST
From: shashi@E.MS.UKY.EDU

Date: Thu, 10 Nov 88 08:36:24 CST
From: RHLHELP@venus.tamu.edu

To:	RHLHELP
Subj:	help on latex

The problem is the following.
I have a main file that is of the form,

\documentstyle...

\includeonly{file1,...,filen}

\begin{doc..}
\tableofcontents
\bibliographystyle{..}

\include{file1}
\include{file2}
\include{file3}
 .
 .
\include{filen}

\begin{thebibliography}

\bibitem{one}....

etc

\end{thebibliography}
\end{document}

and here is what happens
1. if in the \includeonly command, I use (any) ONE file only, it works
fine in the sense of being able to find all the references and cross
references.
2. if the \includeonly command is commented out, it cannot find ANY
of the references (that is, after LaTeXing main.tex twice).
3. if in the \includeonly command I use MORE THAN ONE file, it again
does not work right in the sense of being able to find the references.
4. commenting the \includeonly command out, and substituting \input
for \include again screws the referencing up.

Any help would be appreciated.
regards,
i.s. ayoubi

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 09:37:20 pst
From: rusty%garnet.Berkeley.EDU@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Including a MacDraw file in a LaTeX document

How can I print (include) a MacDraw file in a latex file?  I did the
command-K thing and couldn't even get that to print from a sun using
lpr.  I also have some software that I think I got from
sally.utexas.edu, called macfilter, which prepends the correct
laserprep file from a file generated from command-F, but that doesn't
print either.  E.g., I used

	macfilter PostScript0 | lpr -Plw

I feel that if I can just get the file to print using lpr then I can
get it to print in my latex document (I'm already including postscript
stuff in my latex file that I made with Poskanzer's pbm programs).

Phone-Number: (415) 643-9097

Date:     Wed, 9 Nov 88 08:40:56 EST
From: RS & IL Gibson <guelph2%watdcs.UWaterloo.ca@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Math fonts in a LaTeX document

I am typesetting a scientific text book with LaTeX.
Three minor typographic questions:

A. The running text contains repeated entries like:

 ...the weight is $>$45.7 kg, but ......

When this is set in CMR or Postscript 10 point, the
mathematical symbol (greater than) falls below the
baseline for the line of type. The problem is the same
for \pm, \leq, \geq, and others.  What I cannot understand
is that the overall height of most of these symbols is
about the same as for the numbers - but they are all placed
below the baseline for 45.7

B. Should the space between "45.7" and "kg" be a thin space,
thick space, no space??!!

C. By default when I set the abbreviation for microgram

            $\mu$g

the mu is in itallics and the g in Roman. I have seen examples
where the mu has been set in an upright font.  What is the
preferred style?.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I normally
use the standard Adobe postscript fonts on both a laser
printer and a photo-typesetter.
                                     Ian

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 88 18:30:57 -0500 (EST)
From: Douglas Bradley Meade <dm2w+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Needed: Bold math symbols in script style

Is there a way to get  symbols in \scriptstyle (and \scriptscriptstyle)?

According to the LaTeX manual, text typeset in script and scriptscript style is
not emboldened by \boldmath.  Is there an alternate method of obtaining bold
math symbols in script and scriptscript style?

It is very easy to get bold face roman symbols in script style, but I really
need bold math symbols.

Thanks in advance,

Doug Meade
dm2w@andrew.cmu.edu

Date: Sat, 19 Nov 88 13:29:31 -0500 (EST)
From: Douglas Bradley Meade <dm2w+@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bold Math Symbols Obtained

I was directed to a TeX hack for bold math.  If any others are interested, I
have enclosed a copy of my final version of  "Poor Man's Bold".

\def\pmb#1{\mathchoice%
%  Poor Man's Bold (modification of p.386 of TeX book)
        {\hbox{\boldmath $#1$}}%
        {\hbox{\boldmath $#1$}}%
        {\setbox0=\hbox{$ \scriptstyle #1$}%

\kern-.01em\copy0\kern-\wd0\kern.02em\copy0\kern-\wd0\kern-.01em\ra
ise.01em\box0\kern.02em}%
        {\setbox0=\hbox{$ \scriptscriptstyle #1$}%

kern-.01em\copy0\kern-\wd0\kern.02em\copy0\kern-\wd0\kern-.01em\rais
e.01em\box0\kern.02em}}

This comes from ideas found on p. 386 of the TeX book.
If anybody has a better(i.e. cleaner) solution, I am still very interested.

Doug Meade
dm2w@andrew.cmu.edu

Date: Sat, 12 Nov 88 16:11:15 PST
From: Rich Wales <wales@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX--the small caps command

I would like to define a "\caps" command in LaTeX that would work as
follows:

(1) If used in a "Roman" (\rm) context, \caps{abc} would mean the same
    as {\sc abc}.

(2) If used in any other context (italics, boldface, etc.), \caps{abc}
    would mean the same as \uppercase{abc}.

Stated another way, \caps{abc} would generate either small capitals or
regular capitals, depending on the type style of the surrounding text.

I want to do this because there are acronyms (DARPA, TCP, etc.) that I
would like to appear normally in small capitals (instead of regular,
full capitals).  But when one of these acronyms appears in, say, itali-
cized text, I don't want to mix italics and small capitals -- and so I
want LaTeX to switch automatically to italic capital letters.  (I wish
there were such a thing as "italic small capitals" -- but there isn't.)

Some of these acronyms appear in such things as bibliography entries,
where it may be bothersome to figure out whether a given piece of text
is ultimately going to appear in regular type or in italics.  I'd like
to just type in *all* the acronyms with my "\caps" command, and then let
LaTeX decide what type style to use in any given situation.

I would prefer, needless to say, a solution that is not tied to specific
font names and sizes (e.g., it should work even if I switch from 10- to
12-point type, or use Times Roman instead of Computer Modern).

Is there any way to do this?  (I do have some background in plain TeX.)

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
   "No, the name of my ship is the _Lollipop_.  It's a good ship."

Date: Mon, 14 Nov 88 18:04:34 PST
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: A new and improved LaTeX manual?

You all may be interested to know that the LaTeX manual has sold almost
60,000 copies.  Addison-Wesley would like to publish a revised edition,
and I'm considering whether it's worth doing.  There are three
possibilities: expanding the book with new material, writing a second
book, or doing nothing.  I would like to find out how LaTeX users feel
about this.  What additional material would people find useful?  Should
it be a new book to supplement the manual or an new version of the
current manual?  I'm particularly interested in hearing from users who
do not have a technical background.

Please reply directly to me at `lamport@src.dec.com'.  If this address
doesn't work, tell your mail wizard that he's probably using obsolete
network software and try resending to `lamport@decwrl.dec.com'.

Leslie Lamport

Date: 18-NOV-1988 15:37:22 GMT
From: RM028A%CDVA.CRANFIELD.AC.UK@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Separate chapter bibliographies with LaTeX and BibTeX

Looking through back issues of TeXhax, I've seen various requests for macros
to allow separate chapter bibliographies using LaTeX and BibTeX. It happens
that I needed just such a facility, so here's a LaTeX style file which
seems to do the job. It only works if the chapters are \include'd but it
should provide food for thought.

--------------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------

%**************************************************************************
% CHAPTERBIB.STY    17-NOV-1988
% ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
% Allow LaTeX & BibTeX to produce separate bibliographies for each
% chapter.
%
% Each part of the document requiring its own bibliography must be
% \include'd (not \input'ed) by a `master' file. For example, consider
% the following trivial example:
%
%=======================================================================
%   main.tex    \documentstyle[chapterbib],article-
%               \begin,document-
%                 \include,ch1-
%                 \include,ch2-
%               \end,document-
%=======================================================================
%   ch1.tex     \chapter,The First Chapter-
%                 \cite,citation1-
%                 \bibliographystyle,ieeetr-
%                 \bibliography,mybibliography-
%=======================================================================
%   ch2.tex     \chapter,The Second Chapter-
%                 \cite,citation2-
%                 \bibliographystyle,ieeetr-
%                 \bibliography,mybibliography-
%=======================================================================
%
% 1. Run LaTeX on main.tex, producing main.aux, ch1.aux and ch2.aux as
%    expected, but the \bibliography commands will try to read in ch1.bbl
%    and ch2.bbl NOT main.bbl.
% 2. Run BibTeX on ch1 and ch2, producing ch1.bbl and ch2.bbl.
% 3. Run LaTeX on main.tex twice more to resolve cross references.
%
% At the end of chapters 1 and 2 will be a bibliography listing formatted
% in accordance with the document and bibliography styles. If you are
% fortunate to have the Unix MAKE utility or an equivalent (e.g. DEC MMS
% for VAX/VMS), produce a Makefile. It will save a lot of time later!
%
%**************************************************************************
% AUTHOR:       Niel Kempson,
%               School of Electrical Engineering and Science,
%               Royal Military College of Science,
%               Shrivenham, SWINDON, SN6 8LA
%               United Kingdom
%
% Telephone:    Swindon (0793) 785687   (UK)
%               +44-793-785687          (International)
% JANET:        rmcs-tex@uk.ac.cranfield.cdvc
%**************************************************************************

%
% Keep track of the file that's currently being used for input. Initially
% it's the main file.
%
\def\currentipfile,\jobname-

%
% Redefine the \include macro (taken from LATEX.TEX of 25-JAN-1988)
% so that \currentipfile is updated whenever a file is \include'd.
%
\def\include#1,\clearpage
\edef\currentipfile,#1-                                      %%% NEW LINE
\if@filesw \immediate\write\@mainaux,\string\@input,#1.aux--\fi
\@tempswatrue\if@partsw \@tempswafalse\def\@tempb,#1-\@for
\@tempa:=\@partlist\do,\ifx\@tempa\@tempb\@tempswatrue\fi-\fi
\if@tempswa \if@filesw \let\@auxout=\@partaux
\immediate\openout\@partaux #1.aux
\immediate\write\@partaux,\relax-\fi\@input,#1.tex-\clearpage
\edef\currentipfile\jobname                                  %%% NEW LINE
\@writeckpt,#1-\if@filesw \immediate\closeout\@partaux \fi
\let\@auxout=\@mainaux\else\@nameuse,cp@#1-\fi-

%
% Redefine the \bibliography macro to read \currentipfile rather than
% \jobname for the .bbl data.
%
\def\bibliography#1,\if@filesw%
  \immediate\write\@auxout,\string\bibdata,#1--\fi
  \@input,\currentipfile.bbl--

--------------------------------CUT HERE--------------------------------

                               C. Niel KEMPSON

Slow (but reliable) Mail:            | Telephone:      Swindon (0793) 785687
  School of Elec Eng & Science,      |  International: +44-793-785687
  Royal Military College of Science, |
  Shrivenham, SWINDON,               | E-mail:
  SN6 8LA,                           |  JANET: rmcs-tex@uk.ac.cranfield.cdvc
  United Kingdom                     |

Date:     Thu, 10 Nov 88 13:37 CST
From: <SWANGER%AUDUCVAX.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Needed: a public domain dvi2ps

I have just installed VAX/VMS TeX version 2.01 (Kellerman and Smith) on a VAX
8200.  We have a DEC LN03R Postscript Laser Printer.  We will be using DEC's
Scriptprinter software.  I need a DVI to Postscript conversion program.  I have
heard that their are several such programs in the public domain, such as dvi2ps
and dvips.  If anyone has a public domain DVI to Postcript converter for the
VAX with VMS, I would very much appreciate it if you would send me a copy. I
would like source code and/or executable (.EXE) programs if possible.  Please
send these files to my BITNET address listed below.

Thanks in advance.

David Swanger
Academic Computing Services
Auburn University, Al  36849
205-826-4813

SWANGER@AUDUCVAX   <-- BITNET address

Date: Sun, 13 Nov 88 14:15 EDT
From: Paul Davis <davis%mauve.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject:Needed: a \special for dvi2ps that will invert text

a) has anyone hacked a \special for dvi2ps that will invert text ?
	I've seen this done, but thought I'd check before duplicating.

	aim:  \invert{some text to be inverted}

	or

	      \begin{invert}
	      some text to be inverted
	      \end{invert}

	(prints "some text to be inverted" in white on black)

b) Has anyone modified dvi2ps's DoSpecial function so as to allow
	non-local PostScript to be inserted (ie; avoid calls to gsave
	and grestore around the inserted text) ?

c) Our Unix distribution (from June '87) doesn't appear to
have makeindex in it. Could someone tell me where it is, or failing that,
send me the source and ancillary files ?

thanks

Paul Davis
Schlumberger Cambridge Research -- "science in a big top"

Snail: PO Box 153, Cambridge CB3 0HG, England
Phone: [+44] (0) 223 325282

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% Current versions now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.93                  metafont  1.5
%%%    plain.tex 2.92                  plain.mf  1.0
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 (10/26/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.8                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    bibtex    0.99c
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest