[comp.text] LaTeX "References" title in Portuguese

rosalia@mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (12/15/88)

[]
A friend of mine was typing a paper in Portuguese using LaTeX, and only
noticed after handing it in that when she did \begin{thebibliography},
it gave the References title (section title of the bibliography) in
english!!  Does anyone know how to specify that the title be in another
language?  Thank you very much.
--
						    Mark Galassi
						rosalia@mozart.UUCP
						    Mark Galassi
						rosalia@mozart.UUCP
					      ...!icus!mozart!rosalia
	These opinions are mine and should be everybody else's :-)

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (12/17/88)

Someplace on your system you should have article.doc, book.doc and
report.doc.  At the very beginning of each is a note on how to
make a foreign language version

% PREPARING A FOREIGN LANGUAGE VERSION:
%
% This document style is for documents prepared in the English language.
% To prepare a version for another language, various English words must
% be replaced.  All the English words that required replacement are
% indicated below, where we give the name of the command in which the
% words appear, and the entire line containing the word(s), with the
% actual words underlined.

You should edit the corresponding .sty file (eg. for article.doc edit
article.sty) to make the changes.  It should be pretty obvious what to
do.

Also you should probably call it something other than article.sty.

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet

lang@pearl.PRC.Unisys.COM (Francois-Michel Lang) (12/20/88)

In article <6@mozart.UUCP> rosalia@mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) writes:
>[]
>A friend of mine was typing a paper in Portuguese using LaTeX, and only
>noticed after handing it in that when she did \begin{thebibliography},
>it gave the References title (section title of the bibliography) in
>english!!  Does anyone know how to specify that the title be in another
>language?  Thank you very much.

This is taken from article.sty:
\def\thebibliography#1{\section*{References\@mkboth
 {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}}\list
 {[\arabic{enumi}]}{\settowidth\labelwidth{[#1]}\leftmargin\labelwidth
 \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
 \usecounter{enumi}}
 \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus -.07em}
 \sloppy\clubpenalty4000\widowpenalty4000
 \sfcode`\.=1000\relax}
\let\endthebibliography=\endlist

You should make a copy of the file, call it, say, portuguese.sty,
change "references" and "REFERENCES" to whatever you want it to be,
and use \documentstyle{portuguese} instead of, e.g., \documentstyle{article}.
Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys Corporation lang@prc.unisys.com (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA      lang@cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511