[comp.text] LaTeX .sty for IEEE Computer Society

betser@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (12/22/88)

****>>  LaTeX .sty for IEEE Computer Society Manuscript

Folks :

I need to submit a paper to INFOCOM, and the author's kit requires
the standard two-column oversize (to be reduced 77%) camera ready
manuscript.  Since my source is LaTeX I would appreciate template
.sty files that some of you must have been using successfully out there.

Please respond via e-mail directly to <betser@cs.ucla.edu>, since
I am not subscribed to the group.
					Thanks in Advance,   Joe B.

vlo@taipei.Princeton.EDU (John Vlontzos) (12/22/88)

In article <19138@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> betser@CS.UCLA.EDU (Joseph Betser) writes:
>****>>  LaTeX .sty for IEEE Computer Society Manuscript
>
>Folks :
>
>I need to submit a paper to INFOCOM, and the author's kit requires
>the standard two-column oversize (to be reduced 77%) camera ready
>manuscript.  Since my source is LaTeX I would appreciate template
>.sty files that some of you must have been using successfully out there.
>
>Please respond via e-mail directly to <betser@cs.ucla.edu>, since
>I am not subscribed to the group.
>					Thanks in Advance,   Joe B.

This is a documentstyle prepared for IEEE ICASP89. Probably it will
fit your needs for other conferences (I wonder why all IEEE conferences
don't have a common format). The file has lots of comments to help
you modify it if needed.

The code is rather ugly  but it works so who cares !

Have fun and don't forget to post any major changes

John Vlontzos
Dep't of EE
Princeton University
vlo@vlsi.princeton.edu

------------------------------- CUT HERE -------------------------------
% ICASSP DOCUMENT STYLE -- released 15 December 1988
%    for LaTeX version 2.09
% Copyright (C) 1988 bt John Vlontzos, except portions
% Copyright (C) 1988 by Max Hailperin, except portions
% Copyright (C) 1985 by Leslie Lamport, or otherwise indicated.
% Modified by John Vlontzos
% Permission to copy all or part of this work is granted, provided
% that the copies are not made or distributed for resale, and that
% the copyright notice and this notice are retained.
%
%
% THIS WORK IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS.  THE AUTHOR PROVIDES NO
% WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE WORK,
% INCLUDING WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
% FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
%
% This is a document style option, for cammera-ready copy for the
% ICASSP '89 conference (and other IEEE conferences???), to be
% used with the article document style and the proc document style option.
%
% WARNING: The visual design of this style is rather poor.  The conference
%          specifications forced some of this, and as a result it didn't seem
%          worth worrying about the rest.  Be forewarned however.

\typeout{Document Style Option 'icassp' -- released 13 December 1988}
% ************************************************************************
%              BRIEF DESCRIPTION
% ************************************************************************
% * This is a documentstyle that will print your paper
%   in a form suitable for ICASSP or other IEEE conferences (hopefully)
% * Just take your {article} file and make a few changes detailed
%   below
% * All columns set to 11truecm
% * The first two pages are 10in long and cover the first mat
% * The title is centered on a wide page so it should be printed in
%   landscape mode
% * If there is only one author use the standard \author macro from {article}
%   if there are 2 authors, use the new macro \authors described below
% * A macro for thanks is provided (\thanksu{thanks text})
% * The second page MUST be identified by placing the macro \thisissecondpage
%   anywhere in the second page
% * The second and subsequent mats are broken into 4 pages each 6.44in long
% * Section titles are centered, Capitalized and numbered (if you don't want numbering
%   just set \secnumdepth{0})
% * Sub(sub)sections are lowercase and boldface, flush left
% * Some notes are included in the macro definitions to make use more clear
%  ****************************************
%  *             KEYWORDS                 *
%  ****************************************

% \keywords{foo, bar, baz} should go at the end of the abstract

\def\keywords#1{\begin{list}{}{\setlength{\leftmargin}{0pt}\setlength{\rightmargin}{0pt}\setlength{\topsep}{\baselineskip}\setlength{\partopsep}{0pt}}\item[]Keywords: #1\end{list}}

%  ****************************************
%  *            SECTIONING                *
%  ****************************************
% Slight modification of the geophysics.sty file,
% Copyright (c) 1987 by Stephen Gildea
% Slight modification of above by John Vlontzos
% Permission to copy all or part of this work is granted, provided
% that the copies are not made or distributed for resale, and that
% the copyright notice and this notice are retained.
%
% THIS WORK IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS.  THE AUTHOR PROVIDES NO
% WARRANTY WHATSOEVER, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE WORK,
% INCLUDING WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
% FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

% Headings:
%   for principal heading use \section
%   for lower rank heading use \subsection
%   for still lower rank heading use \subsubsection
\setcounter{secnumdepth}{3}
%If you don't want section numbers, set secnumdepth to 0
% \section is tricky because we want to both support \section* and have
% the section title uppercased.
\def\section #1{\begin{center} \sectionc{#1} \end{center}}
\def\sectionc{\secdef\@sectionb\@sections}
\def\@sectionb[#1]#2{\@sections{#2}}
\def\@sections#1{\@startsection
  {section}{1}{\z@}{-3.5ex plus -1ex minus -.2ex}{2.3ex plus .2ex}{\large\bf}{\uppercase{#1}}}

% the below is modeled on the above, plus the paragraph def from art10.doc
\def\subsubsection{\secdef\@subsubsectionb\@subsubsections}
\def\@subsubsectionb[#1]#2{\@subsubsections{#2}}
\def\@subsubsections#1{\@startsection
    {subsubsection}{3}{\z@}{3.25ex plus 1ex minus .2ex}{-1sp}{\normalsize\bf}{#1---}}

% the below is less closely modeled on the geophysical stuff, plus art10.doc
\def\subsection{\secdef\@subsectionb\@subsections}
\def\@subsectionb[#1]#2{\@subsections{#2}}
\def\@subsections#1{\@startsection{subsection}{2}{\z@}{-3.25ex plus -1ex minus
   -.2ex}{1.5ex plus .2ex}{\large\bf}{#1}}

% in case people nest more deeply than allowed --- perhaps should be error
\def\paragraph{\subsubsection}
\def\subparagraph{\subsubsection}

% *************************************************
% Abstract definition (centered and capitalized)
% dont forget to \begin{abstract}...\end{abstract}
% *************************************************

\def\abstract{\if@twocolumn
\section*{ABSTRACT}
\else \small
\begin{center}
{\bf ABSTRACT\vspace{-.5em}\vspace{0pt}}
\end{center}
\quotation
\fi}
\def\endabstract{\if@twocolumn\else\endquotation\fi\vspace{.1truein}}
%  ****************************************
%  *            PAGE LAYOUT               *
%  ****************************************
%
% All margin dimensions measured from a point one inch from top and side
% of page.  Lamport claims that for some unspecified device(s) dimensions
% shrink by about 2 percent.

% SIDE MARGINS:
   \oddsidemargin  0pt      %   Note that \oddsidemargin = \evensidemargin
   \evensidemargin 0pt

% VERTICAL SPACING:
                         % Top of page:
\topmargin -48truept         %    Nominal distance from top of page to top of
                         %    box containing running head.
\headheight 0truept         %    Height of box containing running head.
\headsep 10truept            %    Space between running head and text.
% \topskip = 10pt        %    '\baselineskip' for first line of page.
                         % Bottom of page:
\footheight 0pt         %    Height of box containing running foot.
\footskip 300pt           %    Distance from baseline of box containing foot
                         %    to baseline of last line of text.

% DIMENSION OF TEXT:
\textheight 10truein   % Height of text (including footnotes and figures,                          % excluding running head and foot).
\textwidth 10.5truecm        % Width of text line.
                         % For two-column mode:
\columnsep .92truecm       %    Space between columns
\columnseprule 0truept       %    Width of rule between columns.

%    ****************************************
%    *            PAGE STYLES               *
%    ****************************************
%
%  The page number is printed in the top center, in "n of m" form.

\def\@oddhead{\rm\hfil \thepage\ of \pageref{@last-page} \hfil}
\def\@evenhead{\@oddhead}
\def\@oddfoot{}\def\@evenfoot{\@oddfoot}

% This is from latex.tex, except for-vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
\def\enddocument{\@checkend{document}\label{@last-page}\clearpage\begingroup
\if@filesw \immediate\closeout\@mainaux
\def\global\@namedef##1##2{}\def\newlabel{\@testdef r}%
\def\bibcite{\@testdef b}\@tempswafalse \makeatletter\input \jobname.aux
\if@tempswa \@warning{Label(s) may have changed.  Rerun to get
cross-references right}\fi\fi\endgroup\deadcycles\z@\@@end}
%    ****************************************
%    *               TITLE                  *
%    ****************************************
%
% This @maketitle is from proc.doc, except for the uppercasing
%    ****************************************
%AUTHORS is a macro for more than one authors
% used as \authors {name 1\\ dept1 \\ univ1}{name 2 \\ dept2 \\ univ2}
%    ***************************************
\def\authors#1#2{\hbox to \hsize{\@tablebox{#1}\hfil\@tablebox{#2}}}

\def\@tablebox#1{\begin{tabular}[t]{@{}l@{}}#1\end{tabular}}
%    **************************************
%THANKSU is a macro that replacing \thanks.
%It permits placing of the \thanks in ANY page
%useful when the first printed page is smaller than the mat provided.
% just define your footnote using \thanksu and then place it
% in the appropriate page by using \putthanks anywhere in the page.
%    ****************************************
\def\thanksu #1{\textwidth 11truecm \newsavebox{\thankw}\savebox{\thankw}[11cm]{\parbox{10.5truecm}{#1}}}
\def\putthanks{\footnotetext{\leftskip=-25truept \rightskip=25truept \usebox{\thankw}\par}}
\def\@maketitle{\textwidth 32.8truecm \vbox to 5.9cm{\hsize\textwidth
  \linewidth\hsize \vfil \centering
  {\Large \bf \uppercase\expandafter{\@title} \par}     % TITLE set in \Large size.
  \vskip .4cm                % Vertical space after title.
  {\large \begin{tabular}[t]{c}\@author \end{tabular}\par}
  \vfil}\newpage\textwidth 11truecm}
%    ****************************************
%     Since the first two pages can be printed in a way that
%     covers the whole mat, mark the second page by
%     placing \thisissecondpage ANYWHERE in the second page
%     ***************************************
\def\thisissecondpage{\textheight 6.44truein}
%    ****************************************
%    *              CAPTIONS                *
%    ****************************************

% This makes captions use a period rather than a colon.  It is a minor
% change to code from article.doc.
\long\def\@makecaption#1#2{
   \vskip 10pt
   \setbox\@tempboxa\hbox{#1. #2}
   \ifdim \wd\@tempboxa >\textwidth   % IF longer than one line:
       #1. #2\par                 %   THEN set as ordinary paragraph.
     \else                        %   ELSE  center.
       \hbox to\textwidth{\hfil\box\@tempboxa\hfil}
   \fi}
% *****************************************
% the following macro produces the references heading in capitals
% and without a section number
\def\thebibliography#1{\setcounter{secnumdepth}{0}\sectionc*{References\@mkboth
 {REFERENCES}{REFERENCES}}\list
 {[\arabic{enumi}]}{\settowidth\labelwidth{[#1]}\leftmargin\labelwidth
 \advance\leftmargin\labelsep
 \usecounter{enumi}}
 \def\newblock{\hskip .11em plus .33em minus -.07em}
 \sloppy
 \sfcode`\.=1000\relax}