[comp.text] graphtool/fig --> LaTeX {picture}??

faigin@sunstroke.aero.org (12/30/88)

Are there any tools out there that can either:

a) Take the direct output of graphtool, fig, or similar Sun based
   drawing tools and convert into into {picture} commands usable under
   LaTeX?

or

b) Translate pic into LaTeX {picture} commands. I know of a tool that
   tries to translate pic into TeX, but I can't get the output to
   produce anything under LaTeX.

Also, does anyone know of any methods, under LaTeX, to get a document
or figure produced in the landscape orientation instead of the normal
orientation.

Thanks for you help.

Daniel
Work : The Aerospace Corp M8/055 * POB 92957 * LA, CA 90009-2957 * 213/336-3149
Home : 8333 Columbus Avenue #17  * Sepulveda CA 91343            * 818/892-8555
Internet : faigin@aerospace.aero.org  +----------------------------------------
Voicemail: 213/336-5454 Box# 3149     |  Take what you like, and leave the rest

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (12/30/88)

In article <43955@aero.ARPA> faigin@sunstroke.aero.org () writes:

>Are there any tools out there that can either:
>
>a) Take the direct output of graphtool, fig, or similar Sun based
>   drawing tools and convert into into {picture} commands usable under
>   LaTeX?

Don't know about this.

>b) Translate pic into LaTeX {picture} commands. I know of a tool that
>   tries to translate pic into TeX, but I can't get the output to
>   produce anything under LaTeX.

There is tpic, which translates pic into "\special" commands, so you can
generate pic output on postscript printers (or others that actually
understand the same special commands). I don't see any efficient way to
translate pic into real Tex, as Tex only knows about fonts and characters.
Even the LaTeX pictures are all generated using characters.

>Also, does anyone know of any methods, under LaTeX, to get a document
>or figure produced in the landscape orientation instead of the normal
>orientation.

Tex (and Latex) doesn't know about orientation. Orientation aspects are
handled by whatever postprocessor you use to turn the dvi-file into something
the printer will understand. So it is clearly not possible to just get
one figure to come out in a different orientation, unless you tell the
postprocessor something about that (through a \special command).

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |