[comp.text] LJ and Doc Workbench

bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) (12/21/88)

If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.  Specifically,
I'd like to know what postprocessors are available, and
where to get font description files for /usr/lib/font/...

BTW, I'm using Microport UNIX SVR3 on a '386 machine.  It came with
postprocessors for only two device types: Autologic APS-5 and Imagen
Imprint-10.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks Much.

--
Bill Michaelson - uh... princeton!mccc!cosi!bill, I think.
also at... Voice 609-771-6705  CompuServe 72416,1026

kaufman@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Lar Kaufman) (12/21/88)

In article <237@cosi.UUCP> bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
>If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
>output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.  Specifically,
>I'd like to know what postprocessors are available, and
>where to get font description files for /usr/lib/font/...

The xroff package, from Image Network, supports HP Laserjet II and
many other laserprinters and is compatible with dwb.

This is a commercial product, of course, for various U*ix forms and
also is available for MS-DOS.

 Image Network
 140 South Whisman Road
 Mountain View, California 94041

I only use xroff. Not otherwise affiliated.
 -lar

 Lar Kaufman   <= my opinions          Fidonet: 1:322/470@508-534-1842
 kaufman@multimax.arpa    {bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!kaufman

kg@elan.UUCP (Ken Greer) (12/22/88)

From article <237@cosi.UUCP>, by bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson):
> If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
> output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.

A perennial question.  Our firm makes such a package called EROFF...

		Elan Computer Group
		410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
		Palo Alto, CA 94306
		Phone: 415-322-2450
		FAX:   415-322-1915

The standard package includes an enhanced DWB tookset, LJ driver, PostScript
Driver, Screen previewer, comprehensive documentation, and a customer
support line, of course.

As a point of reference, Hewlett Packard and Santa Cruz Operations
both have standardized on EROFF to produce much of their documentation.
--
Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (12/22/88)

In article <237@cosi.UUCP>, bill@cosi.UUCP (Bill Michaelson) writes:
> If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
> output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.

I am (somewhat) familiar with two products which link the HP LaserJet
and DWB 2.0.

A. Textware International's TPLUS:

   A commercial package available from brent@textware, has post-processors
   not only for the HPLJ, but for such devices as Compugraphics photo-
   typesetters, etc. Also supports phototypesetter preview on the laser
   printer.

   Main strength in my opinion: "Logical Fonts", the capability to
   construct non-existent special characters from existing characters
   without having to use the \o sequence in troff. This is useful in
   building half a dozen different language fonts using just one set
   of, say, HP Softfonts bitmaps.

   Main weakness in my opinion: poor documentation. I have worked with
   this package as a user for about four years, but every time I try
   to penetrate its mysteries and really figure out how it works, I am
   daunted by the absence of complete documentation.

B. PC Research's JETROFF:

   A shareware package available in source from jetroff@pcrat. Very well
   documented, easy installation. Comes with Computer Modern Roman and
   Sans Serif typefaces.

   Main strengths in my opinion: Price ($50 for individuals, $100 for
   companies), source code availability, good docs and ease of installation.

   Main weaknesses: (these comments refer to the 286 version, some of these
   may be fixed in larger machines): No logical fonts, bitmaps limited to
   (sizeof int) pixels. Of course these can be fixed, if one has the time
   and inclination, since the source is available.
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

ian@sq.uucp (Ian F. Darwin) (12/28/88)

Bill Michaelson (bill@cosi.UUCP) writes:
> If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
> output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.  Specifically,
> I'd like to know what postprocessors are available, and
> where to get font description files for /usr/lib/font/...

SoftQuad Inc provides a much-enhanced version of troff, with
full support (font tables, postprocessor and documentation)
for HP LaserJet family printers, PostScript printers, IMAGEN
imPRESS, and a few others. Our product includes comprehensive
documentation that we've written (not just copies of
the AT&T technical documents), numerous features for
advanced publishing projects, a support hotline, and lots more.
Call or write for information on what makes our product
better.

mail@sq.com
416-963-8227
U.S. Customers call 800-387-2777.

louis@auvax.UUCP (Louis Schmittroth) (01/06/89)

In article <1988Dec28.145905.6854@sq.uucp>, ian@sq.uucp (Ian F. Darwin) writes:
> Bill Michaelson (bill@cosi.UUCP) writes:
> > If there is anyone out there using troff and associated pgms to produce
> > output on a HP Laserjet II printer, I'd appreciate some info.  Specifically,
> > I'd like to know what postprocessors are available, and
> > where to get font description files for /usr/lib/font/...

I am running troff from Elan on my LaserJet II, and I am very satisfied.
It can also include bitmapped graphics files in Macpaint, PC Paintbrush,
TIFF, and raw format.  I bought the AD package of fonts from HP, but
I will be adding third party fonts shortly.  I have no relation with
Elan other than as a pleased customer.  Call them at:

	Elan Software
	415-322-2450

--

Louis Schmittroth, Computer Science, Athabasca University
auvax!louis