[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V89 #3

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (01/14/89)

TeXhax Digest    Friday, January 13, 1989  Volume 89 : Issue 3

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                  Needed: Changebar.sty for PostScript
      Needed: TeX output from Compugraphic 8600 run off VAX under UNIX
                  Re: patch for DVIPAGE (TeXhax V89 #2)
                       HP Laserjet driver and others
              Manual fed paper and ArborText's DVILASER/PS
                          New release of PC-WriTeX
                              New Tex Offerings
                              TeXing Graph Paper
                    Printing enveloped on Apple LW from LaTeX
                           BibTeX 0.99c under MS-DOS
                          Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #111
                    Looking for Old English eth and thorn
            How to get Latex footnotes starting from 1 on each page??
                       Tabs in LaTeX (TeXhax 88 #111)

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 89 09:40:18 PST
From: Phil Farrell <farrell@erebus.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Needed: Changebar.sty for PostScript

In TeXhax Vol 88, Issue 111, Theo de Klerk graciously provided a very
interesting LaTeX macro for producing document change bars.  Unfortunately
for me, this macro is designed to produce "\special" commands for the
dvi-to-ln03 filter.  Any PostScript hacker out there care to provide the
corresponding specials for a dvi-to-PostScript filter?
Thank you in advance,
Phil Farrell, Computer Systems Manager
Stanford University School of Earth Sciences

Date: 4 Jan 89 11:02:00 EDT
From: <book@lcp.nrl.navy.mil>
Subject: Needed: TeX output from Compugraphic 8600 run off VAX under UNIX

Barbara Beeton @TUG suggested that I pass my question on to you.
Do you know any way to get TeX output from a Compugraphic 8600 run off
a VAX operating under UNIX?

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 09:04:35 PST
From: hunt@spar.slb.com (Neil Hunt)
Subject: Re: patch for DVIPAGE (TeXhax V89 #2)

Thanks very much for your efforts - it is always interesting to
see that other people are using dvipage, and to see their comments.

I should draw your attention to dvipage 3.0, released last week,
which incorporates several enhancements over 2.0 which you are using.
In particular, 3.0 reads either GF or PXL font files, (2.0 reads only PXL)
and performs font substitution based upon a heurestic to find the font
with the closest family, size, and magnification to the desired font.
A couple of minor bugs are also fixed.  You can obtain 3.0 from
the Unix TeX distribution (june.cs.washington.edu), and perhaps soon
from the Sun-Spots archive, or comp.sources.unix.

Neil/.

Date: Mon, 2 Jan 89 22:56:22 EST
From: murthy@cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy)
Subject: HP Laserjet driver and others

I was told that there is available a package of DVI drivers (filters)
which work for many, many different printers, among them the HP Laserjet.
I have seen some of the files for this distribution, and it looks like they
were taken from a TOPS-20 machine, from directories APS:<tex.dvi>, and
XPS:<tex.dvi>.  Does anybody know what machine this could have been?

The program supported many different kinds of printers, all in one large
C program with tons of #ifdefs's.

If anybody knows, please Email to me, because I don't read this
group regularly.

  chet
murthy@cs.cornell.edu
murthy%tness7.uucp@cs.utexas.edu

	chet
	murthy@svax.cs.cornell.edu

Date: Sun, 1 Jan 89 15:34:02 EST
From: cld@arbortext.com
Subject: Manual fed paper and ArborText's DVILASER/PS

Dick Brown of Carleton college wrote to ask if ArborText's
DVILASER/PS could specify manual feed any other way than to embed
the command in a \special in the TeX source.

A DVILASER/PS `manualfeed' option that could be specified at run-
time sounds like a useful feature, and I have included it on our list
of hoped-for improvements for the next release of DVILASER/PS.

In the meantime, DVILASER/PS's overlay option can be used to include
the manual feed information independent of the TeX source.  If you
create a file, say `manual.fed', with one line:

        statusdict begin /manualfeed true def end

you can tell DVILASER/PS to include manual.fed like this:

        DVILASER option>  overlay manual.fed

DVILASER/PS's overlay command is described fully in chapter 2 of
the User Manual.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or
need any more information.

Cheri DeRosia
ArborText Technical Support
cld@arbortext.com
(313) 996--3566

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 16:39 GMT
From: Peter Flynn UCC <CBTS8001@IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE>
Subject: New release of PC-WriTeX

Version 2.3 of the PCWRITeX converter driver is now available.

This release has some bug fixes and has been tidied up considerably.
As before, I am supplying this version on request only. The servers run by
Michael deCorte at Clarkson, Peter Abbott at Aston, the LISTSERVs at
Heidelberg and Texas A&M and Jon Radel's repository at Princeton have all
been sent their copies. If anyone knows how to *SEND* stuff to SIMTEL-20,
please let me know.

Please reduce network traffic, and retrieve your copy from your local
repository rather than asking me for it unless you are unable to get it from
them.

Peter Flynn
<cbts8001@vax1.ucc.ie>

Date: 30 December 1988, 11:36:44 PST
From: Moshe Vardi  VARDI%ALMVMA.BITNET@uwavm.acs.washington.edu
Subject: New Tex Offerings

I am trying to obtain information about new Tex offerings that were
announced in the August TUG Meeting.

1. Micro Publishing Systems is offering a new implementation of Tex in
CWEB.
2. K-Talk is offering MathEditor, which allows WYSIWYG input of math.

Does anyone have information about how to contact these vendors?

Thanks,
Moshe Vardi
vardi@ibm.com

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 88 09:20:36 EST
From: th%OCLCRSUN.BITNET@uwavm.acs.washington.edu (Thom Hickey)
Subject: TeXing Graph Paper

Here is a real `hack.' A program that runs under
plain \TeX\ that prints out simple graph paper
with three levels of darkness to the rules.  Nothing
but $1/300$ inch square rules are used.  It's a real
test of your dvi interpreter's ability to handle
a large number of rules on one page and to place
them correctly!  The dvi file is 877,340 bytes
long, and it takes about 3 minutes to \TeX\ on
a Sun 3/110.

Thom Hickey
OCLC Online Computer Library Center
Dublin OH 43017
th@oclcrsun.bitnet

% This TeX program was written by:
% Thomas B. Hickey,  th@oclcrsun.bitnet
% Office of Research
% OCLC Online Computer Library Center
% 6565 Frantz Road
% Dublin OH 43017-0702
% (614) 764-6000
% 1987 September 22
% this is graph2.tex modified to output light lines
\tracingstats=1
\newcount\linesperinch \linesperinch = 5

% You may want to change the offsets (we consider the upper left corner to be 0
+ 0)
% The program is optimized for 300 dpi Canon engines

\hoffset=4.3pc
\voffset=2.2pc
\hsize = 8in
\vsize = 10.5in
\nopagenumbers
\offinterlineskip
\parindent=0pt

\newdimen\pixel \pixel=1in \divide\pixel by 300
\newdimen\srulewidth \srulewidth = 1 \pixel
\newdimen\sruleskip \sruleskip = 3 \pixel
\newdimen\mruleskip \mruleskip = 2 \pixel
\newdimen\bruleskip \bruleskip = 0 \pixel

\newdimen\spacing \spacing = 1.0in \divide\spacing by \linesperinch
\dimen0 = 1.0in
\newcount\highlight \highlight = \dimen0 \divide\highlight by \spacing

\newdimen\ruleheight \ruleheight=10in

\newdimen\rulewidth \rulewidth = 7in

\newcount\hcount
\newcount\vcount
\newcount\n
\newcount\numcols \numcols = \rulewidth \divide\numcols by \spacing
\newcount\numrows \numrows = \ruleheight  \divide\numrows by \spacing

%\showthe\linesperinch
%\showthe\numcols
%\showthe\numrows
%\showthe\highlight

\def\bhrule{\vrule height \srulewidth depth 0pt width 1 \pixel}
\def\ahrule#1{\hbox to \rulewidth{\leaders\hbox{\bhrule\kern#1}\hfill}}

\newbox\bhrulebox \setbox\bhrulebox=\ahrule{\bruleskip}
\newbox\mhrulebox \setbox\mhrulebox=\ahrule{\mruleskip}
\newbox\shrulebox \setbox\shrulebox=\ahrule{\sruleskip}

\def\bvrule{\hrule height 1\pixel depth 0pt width 1 \pixel}
\def\avrule#1{\vbox to \ruleheight{\leaders\vbox{\bvrule\kern#1}\vfill}}

\newbox\bvrulebox \setbox\bvrulebox=\avrule{\bruleskip}
\newbox\mvrulebox \setbox\mvrulebox=\avrule{\mruleskip}
\newbox\svrulebox \setbox\svrulebox=\avrule{\sruleskip}

\hcount = 0 \n = 0
\setbox0=\hbox{
\leavevmode
\rlap{\copy\bvrulebox}\kern\spacing
\loop \advance\hcount by 1\advance\n by 1
       \ifnum\hcount<\numcols
        \ifnum\n=\highlight\rlap{\copy\mvrulebox}\n=0
           \else\rlap{\copy\svrulebox}\fi
      \kern\spacing
 \repeat
\rlap{\copy\bvrulebox}
}
\def\vlap#1{\vbox to 0pt{#1\vss}}
\advance\spacing by -1\pixel % compensate for width of line
\vlap{\rlap{\kern -3.5pt\box0}}%
\vcount = 0 \n = 0
\copy\bhrulebox\kern\spacing
\loop\advance\vcount by 1\advance\n by 1
      \ifnum\vcount<\numrows
       \ifnum\n=\highlight\copy\mhrulebox\n=0
             \else\copy\shrulebox\fi
      \kern\spacing
 \repeat
\copy\bhrulebox

\bye

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 21:47 EST
From: <DLV%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@uwavm.acs.washington.edu>
Subject:  Printing enveloped on Apple LW from LaTeX

Printing envelopes on a Apple LaserWriter with LaTeX is highly non-trivial. It
took me a while to work it out, so I would like to share the macros with other
users. It should be easy to change them for other, better, printers capable of
handling envelopes (note that almost no PostScript is used).

Here is a self-explanatory sample file:

\documentstyle[12pt,env]{article}
\nofiles
\begin{document}
\sf

\from{Dimitri Vulis} %fills the blank in the return address on our stationery

\begin{envelope}
Dimitri Vulis\\
Department of Mathematics/Box 330\\
City University of New York Graduate Center\\
33 West 33 St.\\
New York, NY 10036
\ZipBar{10036-8099}
\end{envelope}

\begin{envelope}
American Mathematical Society\\
P. O. Box 6248\\
Providence, RI 02940
\ZipBar{02940-9943}
\end{envelope}

\begin{envelope}
Acad.\ Stanislav P. Merkuriev, Rector\\
Leningrad State University\\
Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya, 7/9\\
Leningrad 199034\\
USSR
\end{envelope}

\end{document}

Evidently, the envilope environment contains the address, and \ZipBar produces
an optional bar code on the bottom right corner.

Assuming that you are facing the LaserWriter, and the cables are toward the
wall, feed the envelope into the slot on your right (opposite the paper
cassette) face up, so that its bottom is flush with the edge of the slot
closest to the wall. If this is consufing, just try all possible combinations.

When you are printing multiple envelopes, there is an approx. 2 second time
window to feed the next envelope; if you do it too early, or too late, it jams.
Wait about 2 seconds before the previous envelope disappears. Here, practice
only makes perfect.

Manual feeding won't work if your paper cassette is empty, and it's normal for
a blank sheet of paper to be dragged out together with the envelope.

Here are the macros themselves (ENV.STY):

\textwidth9.5in
\textheight6.675in
\pagestyle{empty}
\special{ps: landscape}

\def\@from{}
\def\from#1{\def\@from{#1}}

\newbox\ZipBarL
\newbox\ZipBarS                               %1/64"         1/32"
\setbox\ZipBarL\hbox{\vrule height.125in width.015625in\hskip.03125in}
\setbox\ZipBarS\hbox{\vrule height.05in  width.015625in\hskip.03125in}
%each black bar is about 4.6 dots wide on a 300dpi printer
\newcount\ZipBarm
\newcount\ZipBarn
\newif\ifzipcode
\chardef\ten=10

%Almost like using \ifcase... except `-' is ignored.
\def\ZipBar@@@#1#2{\expandafter\def\csname ZipBar@@#1\endcsname%
{#2\advance\ZipBarn#1\relax}}

\ZipBar@@@0{\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS}
\ZipBar@@@1{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarL}
\ZipBar@@@2{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL}
\ZipBar@@@3{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS}
\ZipBar@@@4{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL}
\ZipBar@@@5{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS}
\ZipBar@@@6{\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS}
\ZipBar@@@7{\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL}
\ZipBar@@@8{\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS}
\ZipBar@@@9{\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarL\copy\ZipBarS\copy\ZipBarS}

\def\ZipBar@@#1{\csname ZipBar@@#1\endcsname}

\def\ZipBar@#1{%
 \ifx#1\null%
  \let\next\relax%
 \else%
  \ZipBar@@{#1}%
  \let\next\ZipBar@%
 \fi%
 \next}

\def\ZipBar#1{%
 \zipcodetrue%
 \par\vspace{.5in}%
 \hfill\hbox{%
 \copy\ZipBarL% start with a long bar
 \ZipBarn\z@%
 \ZipBar@#1\null%
 \ZipBarm\ZipBarn%
 \divide\ZipBarm\ten%
 \multiply\ZipBarm\ten%
 \advance\ZipBarm-\ZipBarn%
 \ifnum\ZipBarm<0%
  \advance\ZipBarm\ten%
 \fi%
 \ZipBar@@{\the\ZipBarm}% last digit, so that the sum is divisible by ten
 \copy\ZipBarL% end with a long bar
 }\hspace*{1.5in}\vspace*{.375in}}

\def\envelope{
\newpage \zipcodefalse
\special{ps::[asis] statusdict /manualfeed true put}
\raggedright
\vspace*{3.175in} %Fill in the blank on our stationary---change as needed
{\parindent.32in\@from\ \par}
\vfill
\parindent3.5in}
%A fancier way would be to put the street address in a box and to center it
\def\endenvelope{\par
\ifzipcode \else \vspace*{1in} \fi
\special{ps::[asis] statusdict /manualfeed false put}}

There is no warranty express or implied. Use at your own risk. Enjoy!

-Dimitri Vulis

Date: 30 DEC 88 11:01:49
From: Z3000JD%AWITUW01.BITNET@uwavm.acs.washington.edu
Subject: BibTeX 0.99c under MS-DOS

I have a change-file for BibTeX 0.99c for the Professional Pascal-Compiler
from Metware. It is a full implemation of BibTeX with no real restriction.
(If you have not a 640 KByte PC you have to reduce one large array
by 15 Percent). It implements the Environment-variables TEXINPUT(S) and
TEXBIB too.
I can send the change-file and the binaries in ARC/UUE-Format
(approx. 100 KByte).

Johannes Demel
Technical University Vienna, Austria
Bitnet:     Z3000JD@AWITUW01

Date: Wed, 4 Jan 89 10:46:16 PST
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V88 #111

Francois-Michel Lang would like to get tabs to "work right" in a
verbatim environment.  One hopes that whoever is responsible for
including "tab" in the ASCII character set is now roasting in hell for
his efforts.  It has been suggested that building a system that allows
the insertion of tabs into a text file should be a capital offense.
I'm not that extreme; I think that ten years of writing COBOL code in
Novosibirsk would be adequate punishment.  Unfortunately, there are
still unpunished offenders building text editors.  Fortunately, there
exist programs that will replace tabs by the appropriate number of
spaces.  Running them on all your files will save you much grief
in the long run.

Jeffrey Mark Siskind asks several questions

   1) When I include and underscore ``_'' in a verbatim environment
   it prints out OK but when I try to print an underscore using
   the \tt font it comes out funny. It is offset from where it should
   be. I haven't tried it out using \verb but for various reasons,
   I need to use \tt and can't get this to work. Why does this
   happen and how do I fix this?

I presume that he is using the \_ command to produce the underscore in
the \tt font.  The \_ command does not produce a character, but rather
a .3em-wide rule.  This is not the same as the character "_", which
happens to exist in the \tt font.  (This may be regarded as an error
either in the cmtt font or the \_ command, but both came from
Knuth, so I'll let him worry about that.)  To get the charcter "_"
from the \tt font, use the \symbol command.

   2) When I try to print out ``<'' and ``>'' in the \it font, they
   come out as a Spanish upsidedown exclamation mark and question
   mark respectively. Is it supposed to happen this way? Why? How
   can I get an italic ``<'' and ``>'' which is what I want. (Or
   even better, the Eurepean style quotes << and >>.

Looking up "<" or ">" in the index refers to page 12, where it will be
seen that nothing is said to allow one to infer anything about what
happens when a "<" or ">" is typed outside math mode.  I have no idea
what an italic "<" would look like.  However, if you want to print
some symbol that is not described in the LaTeX manual, there are
two possibilities: (a) check the available fonts at your site and, if
the symbol exists, use the \newfont and \symbol commands, or
(b) build the symbol out of existing ones.

   3) In the tabbing environment several thing are not documented
   in the LaTeX manual. First does \pushtabs and \poptabs save and
   restore the value of left_margin_tab in additon to the tab stops
   or does it just save and restore the tab stops.

The manual says precisely what these commands save and restore.  It
does not list all the 47,876 quantities that are not saved and restored
by these commands.  Moreover, it is very easy to set up a test file
to determine exactly what these commands do, rather than bother the
hundreds of readers of TeXHaX with the question.

   Second, how can I clear the tab stop settings and reset the
   left_margin_tab?  What I am trying to do is to create an environment
   for Lisp code fragments which allows the inclusion of math mode such
   that I can set the indentation for successive groups of line.  To do
   this I need to be able to reset tab stops and the left_margin_tab.

I don't understand what "resetting" tab stops means.  If it means
clearing them, then there is never any reason to do this.  If it means
restoring them to their previous values, then use \pushtabs and
\poptabs.  There is no command top restore left_margin_tab.  However,
you can write your macros so they increment or decrement a counter
every time left_margin_tab is incremented or decremented with \+ or \-.
A simple loop will then restore left_margin_tab to 0.  (Search latex.tex
for "loop" to find useful looping commands.)

   4) Why is the width of em in \tt font twice the fixed width of any
   character in that font.

An interesting question; perhaps Knuth has answered it when discussing
the CMR fonts.

   5) LaTeX \> will always tab to the next tab stop, even if that means
   tabbing backwards. Sometimes this is not what I want. I want normal
   behavior where it will tab to the next available tab stop. How can
   I get this behavior?

I presume by "normal" he means "what a typewriter does".  (I no longer
consider use of a typewriter to be normal behavior.) This would require
rewriting the "tabbing" environment.  The changes would probably not be
too difficult for an advanced TeX hacker, once he figured out how the
tabbing environment works.  I cannot imagine anyone thinking it would
be worth the effort to implement this highly dubious feature.

Leslie Lamport

Date: Thu, 5 Jan 89 07:56:03 EST
From: lang@PRC.Unisys.COM
Subject: Looking for Old English eth and thorn

A colleague of mine, who is an Old-English scholar,
is interested in setting the eth and thorn characters
in TeX.  Does anyone have a way to do this?

Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys Corporation lang@prc.unisys.com (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA      lang@cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511

Date: Fri, 30 Dec 88 09:18 O
From: <MAKIVIRT@FINJYU>
Subject:  How to get Latex footnotes starting from 1 on each page??

Hi

  I have a problem. In our history departement we have two criteria for
footnoting. 1) Footnote must be at the bottom of the page right after the
               text.
            2) And all the footnotes must begin form 1 on each page.

So does anyone of you out there have a macro which might do the trick. I need
footnote numbers starting from 1 on each page. If you have a macro, send it
                   texhax@finhutc or
                   makivirt@finjyu
Thank you for your help.

                                                         Mr Joni Makivirta
                                                         University of
                                                         Jyvaskyla
                                                         Makivirt@finjyu
                                                         (in bitnet)

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 89 09:27:17 EST
From: weltyc@fs3.cs.rpi.edu (Christopher A. Welty)
Subject: Tabs in LaTeX (TeXhax 88 #111)

well I don't know any way in LaTeX (that doesn't mean there isn't
one), but I do the same thing often, and I just run the code through
`expand', (which is a standard unix utility that replaces tabs with
spaces) if it is a whole file, or I use Emacs' query-replace (to
replace all tabs with 8 spaces) if it is just a small section of a file.

=====

Christopher Welty  ---  Asst. Director, RPI CS Labs
weltyc@cs.rpi.edu             ...!njin!nyser!weltyc

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.93                  metafont  1.5
%%%    plain.tex 2.92                  plain.mf  1.0
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 4/26/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.8                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c                 dvipage   3.0
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------