[comp.text] GNU doc generates font checksum error for Tex with dvi2ps

tom@tnosoes.UUCP (Tom Vijlbrief) (01/13/89)

When I format GNU documentation (TeX C version 2.93)
and print it with dvi2ps I get the following:

dvi2ps *.dvi > /dev/null
 [/usr/local/lib/tex/tex.ps]Substituted font cmr10 at mag 219 for cmb10 at mag 219.
 font = "/usr/local/lib/tex/fonts/cmr10.329gf",
 -->font checksum = -770990554,
 -->dvi checksum = 1274110073

The output looks fine and the error message is not produced for
other files. I tried recompiling the cmr10.329gf file with METAFONT
which produces a file which differs in size from the cmr10.329gf file
loaded from the TeX distribution tape, but still produces the errormessage.

We run SunOs 3.5. What am I doing wrong ? Is it a bug in dvi2ps ?
We have version "2.10gf"

Any help is MUCH appreciated !

Tom

Tom Vijlbrief
TNO Institute for Perception
P.O. Box 23				Phone: +31 34 63 62 77
3769 ZG  Soesterberg			E-mail: tnosoes!tom@mcvax.cwi.nl
The Netherlands				    or:	uunet!mcvax!tnosoes!tom

keie@cs.vu.nl (Keizer E G) (01/17/89)

I have had the same error some time ago, and solved the problem.
I sent mail to Mr. Mackay, but somehow my remarks never showed up in TexHax.
This next attempt is to post it to comp.text.

Date:     Mon, 2 May 88 15:34:13 MET DST
From:     Ed Keizer <keie@cs.vu.nl>
To:       mackay@june.cs.washington.edu
Subject:  TFM checksums and dvi2ps.

I have been playing around with Metafont and dvi2ps to generate
PostScript-TeX output for the AGFA P400PS. I found a bug in dvi2ps
that caused messages for checksum errors, while no error was present.
This happened when dvi2ps found a checksum in the dvi file (from tfm)
for a font for which no gf file was present. Dvi2ps subsequently
found a replacement font and compared its checksum to the checksum in the
dvi file. They always differ, as they should.

I have made the following changes:
dvi2ps.c:
1777,1787c1777,1779
<     switch ( findfile(&PXLpath,1,"",tfontptr->n,tfontptr->font_mag,tfontptr->name,
<                 nname, &nmag)) {
<     case 0 :
<       Fatal("no font %s.%d",tfontptr->n,mag);
<       break ;
<     case -1 : /* Found an exact match */
<       break ;
<     case 1 :
<       tfontptr->c=0 ;
<       /* Found an alternate */
<     }
---
>     if (!findfile(&PXLpath,1,"",tfontptr->n,tfontptr->font_mag,tfontptr->name,>                 nname, &nmag))
>       Fatal("no font %s.%d",tfontptr->n,mag);

findfile.c:
186,188c186,188
<             nname,bestmag,