[comp.text] Options for getting Postscript from troff

jorgnsn@qucis.queensu.CA (John Jorgensen) (01/13/89)

I'm exploring the various ways to print troff files on a
Postscript printer.  I have seen tpscript on an archive server
and since we do have ditroff we could use tpscript.  What
experiences have people had with tpscript?  The makefiles for X
Windows manuals use something called ptroff; does anybody know
what that is and where I can get it?  Are there other
alternatives entirely?

You can mail replies to any of:
jorgnsn@qucis.queensu.ca    jorgnsn@qucis.bitnet    jorgnsn@qucis.UUCP

Thanks

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (01/16/89)

|experiences have people had with tpscript?  The makefiles for X
|Windows manuals use something called ptroff; does anybody know
|what that is and where I can get it?  Are there other

ptroff is just a shell script supplied in Transcript to call
ditroff, then psdit (ditroff to PS) and optionally send the
result to the spooler (lpr). You can probably cook up a simple
minded sh script to replace ptroff in 10 mins.

pag@tcsc3b2.UUCP (Philip A. Gross) (01/18/89)

In article <144@qusunb.queensu.CA>, jorgnsn@qucis.queensu.CA (John Jorgensen) writes:
> I'm exploring the various ways to print troff files on a
> Postscript printer.

[...stuff deleted...]

> what that is and where I can get it?  Are there other
> alternatives entirely?

An excellent product that we use is a package called TranScript by
Adobe Systems, Inc.  (the authors of PostScript)

Their address is:
ADOBE Systems, Inc.
1870 Embarcadero Rd.
Suite 100
Palo Alto, CA  94303
1/800/344-8335

The TranScript product can take standard ascii files and convert
the following into PostScript output for a PostScript printer:

	ascii
	ditroff (device independent troff)
	troff
	nroff
	TEK4014
	diablo 630 print files
	plot(5) files   (May not exist in newer Unix releases)

There are also several programs which are supplied which provide the
ability to print ascii files rotated, different font sizes and styles
and a neat program called psrev which will reverse the output so that
the last page comes out first and the first page last (ie, no collating)
required.

As part of the installation of the software, it will go ahead and set
up a lp destination that understands the PostScript printer so that all
you have to do to print a file is type:

	lp <file...>

Licenses are available for both binary and source.

** PostScript and TranScript are trademarks of Adobe Systems, Inc.

========================================+======================================
Philip A. Gross				|
The Computer Solution Co., Inc.  	|  I haven't heard what I have
1009 Sycamore Square, P.O. Box 716	|  to say about that yet.
Midlothian, VA  23113-0716	   	|
Voice: (804)794-3491		   	|
INTERNET:	pag%tcsc3b2@wb3ffv.ampr.org
USENET:		...!ames!haven!aplcen!wb3ffv!tcsc3b2!pag
UUCP:		tcsc3b2!pag		(804)794-1514
ATTMAIL:	attmail!tcsc3b2!pag
	The opinions expressed here are strictly mine and nobody elses.