Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 88 14:23:08 PDT
From:    harrison@renoir.Berkeley.EDU (Michael Harrison)
Subject: X11 previewer, PS previewer and VorTeX

I started out to answer Micah Beck's request about an X11 dvi previewer,
but it is time to give an update on the VorTeX prioject.

The VorTeX project has dvi2x11, written by Steve Procter which has been
operational
for a couple of weeks.
This is a nice previewer similar to dvi2x but it is
not yet as fast as the latest version of dvi2x.
Some of you may have the old dvi2x which had not beeen optimized.
The latest one is very fast under X10.
We will probably release the X11 version soon if we find
no bugs.

There is a lot of new stuff to report on what has been happening on the
VorTeX project and perhaps this is not the place for a lengthy report.
Here is an abstarct.

VorTeX is running.  It passed the trip TeX some months ago as well as
what we call the trip^\ast test since an incremental formatter has to be able
to restart from an intermediate point.
More reverse mapping code needs to be added and we are doing it.

In addtion the often delayed PostScript interpreter will be release in the
next few weeks too.  This is becoming much more complete and has
commands not always implemented like setscreen.  This work is
mainly due to John Coker.

The macro packages have been enhanced to give better access and display
of bibliographic information and has hooks for more functionality.

We'll announce a major update on the software release very soon.
Stay tuned.

Credits:  This nice software has been written by a lot of talented
people.  Mainly by, Pehong Chen, John Coker, Ikuo Minakata,
Ethan Munson, and Steve Procter.