[comp.text] postscript fonts in TeX

eirik@tekcrl.TEK.COM (Eirik Fuller) (04/19/88)

Forgive me if this is a weary topic, but I'm just coming up to speed.

The UW Unix TeX distribution tape has a directory called
dvi2adobe_fonts, which allows the use of Adobe fonts in TeX
documents.  It provides tfm files, and an output filter which
converts .dvi files to postscript.  However, there are pieces
missing.

1) How do I generate .tfm files from .afm files?  This would be
useful if I want to define my own Postscript fonts (like one I
put together for the Tek logo).

2) What is the usual way of dealing with the characters in the cmr
fonts that aren't in the standard Adobe fonts?  My guess: the
equivalent of DIThacks in psdit (Adobe's transcript software).
Does anyone have postscript headers and whatever else it takes to add
the missing characters?

3) The preloaded formats (plain.tex and lplain.tex) know a lot about
fonts, particularly for math symbols.  Unless there is a way of
building Postscript fonts whose tables look just like those of the cmr
fonts, I suspect these formats need to be hacked to know about
Postscript fonts.  Has anyone done this, to the point that the
resulting format gives a complete plain tex in laserwriter fonts?

I have no real interest in commercial packages; I'd rather hack it
myself than pay license fees.

Please, use email rather than following up; I'll summarize if
response warrants.

eirik%crl.tek.com@relay.cs.net

edwards@dogie.edu ( Mark Edwards) (01/21/89)

 Is there a way to use postscript fonts rather than the cmr fonts
 in TeX?

thanks
mark
--
    edwards@vms.macc.wisc.edu
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (01/21/89)

In article <1121@dogie.edu> edwards@dogie.edu ( Mark Edwards) writes:

> Is there a way to use postscript fonts rather than the cmr fonts
> in TeX?

Yes there is, but you need tfm files for the postscript files and a
special version of dvi2ps (ours is called dvips) that knows about
the postscript files (to not go look for pk or pxl files for them).

The version we have (don't know where it came from, but may not be
public domain) has rather small spaces, so you need to increase the
\fontdimen2 and \fontdimen3. The width of a space is based on algorithms
that will only stretch lines, not shrink them like Tex does.

Paul.

|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |