[comp.text] Need to textify phone-book yellow-pages with an optical scanner

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (01/22/89)

Does anyone know of an optical scanner that can read phone-book pages
and turn them into text?  How about something messy like Yellow-pages,
with mixtures of graphics and text of different sizes?

I'm not very interested in owning such a beast, since I'm certain it'll
cost too much.  I'd rather pay for a service that will scan a hundred
or so pages and give me a floppy disk with the results.
-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (01/24/89)

In article <13143@duke.cs.duke.edu>, gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) writes:
> Does anyone know of an optical scanner that can read phone-book pages
> and turn them into text?  How about something messy like Yellow-pages,
> with mixtures of graphics and text of different sizes?

Here is an alternative: buy the info on mag tape from the phone company.
I don't know what you expect the scanner to do with the graphics but if
what you really want is just the name, address and phone, it is available.
I looked into this for a project.  Locally US West will let you select
by various categories and they just charge you per name.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl