Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 13:50:18 EST
From: baldo@ida.org (Jim Baldo)
Subject: Needed: header and footer macro

Not sure if this is the proper place to submit this request?
I have just started using latex and need the following capability:

ability to print both header and footer  information and define
left_head, middle_head, right_head, left_foot, middle_foot,
and right_foot.

Is there a way to do this in latex (beside using /def or
/renewcommand)?  Does anyone have a solution for this
problem?  I am not on the list, so please mail responses
directly to 'baldo@ida.org'.

Thanks,

Jim Baldo

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 17:13:29 +0000
From: Eamonn McManus <emcmanus@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: \outer macros considered painful

Am I alone in thinking that \outer macros are a mistake in the design of
TeX?  There are no macros marked so in plain.tex that I couldn't imagine
wanting to use in the definition of another macro.  About the only thing
I can think of that should be \outer is the end of file, or maybe ^^L as
well.  I can't see why I should not be able to define a macro that makes
use of \newcount, or use \beginsection or \proclaim in conditional text.
The additional diagnostic information provided by \outerness cannot make
up for its painfulness to macro writers (OK, so I'm a macro writer).

I'm inclined to think Leslie Lamport would agree with me, given that the
LaTeX package doesn't define any new \outer macros, and it must redefine
some existing ones so it can use them in other macros.  A \nonouter that
could be placed before \outer macros to cancel their \outerness just for
that occurrence would be enough to make me happy.  Failing that, here is
a TeX source that redefines all of Plain's \outer macros not to be.  Any
better technique that accomplishes this for macros with parameters would
interest me greatly.

Eamonn McManus                          emcmanus@cs.tcd.ie
Distributed Systems Group, TCD          ...!uunet!mcvax!cs.tcd.ie!emcmanus

% unouter.tex - remove the concept of \outer from plain TeX
% By Eamonn McManus Nov 88.  This file is not copyrighted.

% This macro removes the outerness of the control sequence \csname#1\endcsname
% by copying it to \csname un*#1\endcsname and then defining
% \csname#1\endcsname to be a macro that expands to that.  For example,
% after \unouter{proclaim}, we have: \proclaim=macro:->\un*proclaim .
% and \un*proclaim=\outer macro:->[original definition of \proclaim] .
% It would be nice if we could avoid this extra level, but I know of no way
% of doing that short of writing the \meaning to a file and reading that in
% again (yeuch).
\def\unouter#1{\toks0=\expandafter{\csname un*#1\endcsname}%
        \edef\next{\let\the\toks0=}\expandafter\next\csname#1\endcsname
        \expandafter\edef\csname#1\endcsname{\the\toks0}}

% In the case where the macro has no parameter text, we can unouter it
% directly by putting its expansion into a token list and redefining it
% in terms of that expansion.
\def\simpunouter#1{%
        \toks0=\expandafter\expandafter\expandafter{\csname#1\endcsname}%
        \expandafter\edef\csname#1\endcsname{\the\toks0}}

% ^^L is defined as \outer\par
\let^^L=\par

% Change everything else defined as \outer.
\simpunouter{newcount} \simpunouter{newdimen} \simpunouter{newskip}
\simpunouter{newmuskip} \simpunouter{newbox} \simpunouter{newtoks}
\simpunouter{newread} \simpunouter{newwrite} \simpunouter{newfam}
\simpunouter{+} \simpunouter{bye}
\unouter{newhelp} \unouter{newif} \unouter{beginsection} \unouter{proclaim}

% \unouter no longer needed, and remove the offending primitive!
\let\unouter=\undefined \let\simpunouter=\undefined \let\outer=\relax

\endinput

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1989 8:27:36 PST
From: Max Hailperin <mxh@sumex-aim.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: GF/PK->Mac fonts

Does anyone have a program to convert a GF or PK (or even PXL) font file
to a Macintosh font file?

Thanks.

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 16:44:01 PST
From: Leonard N. Zubkoff <lnz@lucid.com>
Subject: Needed: a METAFONT mode def for building CM fonts for DEC LN03

Can anyone recommend a MetaFont mode definition suitable for building CM fonts
for the DEC LN03 printer?  Thanks.

		Leonard

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 89 16:04 CST
From: Mark Roseman <ROSEMAN%ccm.UManitoba.CA@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Needed: some extra PC fonts

I recently downloaded DosTeX from the pc file server and am wondering
about locating some extra fonts, as the standard distribution is a bit
skimpy.  Are there any bitnet file servers, or just any vendor who will
distribute fonts cheaply?  Please respond directly to me as i'm not a
member of this list.

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 01:12:58 PST
From: Donald_Arseneau@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Roman math mode

In TeXhax V89 #1, Gordon Palameta gives some poor advice
about how to get roman math.  He suggests \everymath={{\fam=0}}
which clearly limits the \fam setting to its own little
group.  I use roman math all the time for chemistry, using
\chem defined as \def\chem{\everymath={\fam0 }\fam0 }.
Note the spaces used to end the number; no braces are
necessary.  Thus an \everymath={\fam0 } at the beginning
of a document will typeset all math in roman.

What Gordon probably meant to type is \everymath={\fam=0{}},
which works fine.

                              Donald Arseneau.

Date: Fri, 06 Jan 89 18:31:10 EST
From: Joachim Schambach <JSCHAMBA%KENTVM.BITNET@uwavm.acs.washington.edu>
Subject: Boldfaced lowercase greek symbols in math mode (latex)

This subject might have already been discussed in this forum, so forgive
me for asking again.
Is it possible in latex to create boldface lowercase greek symbols
(for example sigma ) in an equation?
Acknowledge-To: <JSCHAMBA@KENTVM>

Date: Mon, 9 Jan 89 12:37:10 GMT
From: bowen%prg.oxford.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Wildcard keys for BibTeX: Producing a complete bibliography listing

tjo@edsel.siemens.com (Tom Ostrand) writes:
> I'd like to produce a listing of all references in one or more .bib
> files, i.e., produce a bibliography as opposed to a citation or
> reference list.

The attached shell scripts will produce a TeX source file (bib2tex) or
DVI file (bib2dvi) of all the entries in a bibliography by
automatically creating ``\nocite'' entries for all the bibliography
entries. Manual pages are also included.  I am happy for these to be
included in archives in the US and elsewhere. European users may access
them by sending the command "send prog bib2tex.shar bib2dvi.shar" to
<archive-server@prg.oxford.ac.uk> on JANET or
<archive-server@ox-prg.uucp> (...!mcvax!ukc!ox-prg!archive-server) on
UUCP. Send a message of "help" for more information on the archive
server.

Jonathan Bowen, Programming Research Group, Oxford University, England.

        --------------- bib2tex shar file ---------------

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create the files:
#	README
#	Makefile
#	bib2tex
#	bib2tex.1
# This archive created: Tue Nov 15 15:09:55 1988
# By:	Jonathan Bowen (Programming Research Group, Oxford University, UK)
export PATH; PATH=/bin:$PATH
echo shar: extracting "'README'" '(770 characters)'
if test -f 'README'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'README'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'README'
	XThese files relate to the ``bib2tex'' command for converting
	Xa BibTeX format bibliographic database files to a LaTeX source
	Xfile.  The files include:
	X	README		this file
	X	Makefile	make and install files
	X	bib2tex		shell script which does the work
	X	bib2tex.1	manual page
	XWritten by
	X	Jonathan Bowen
	X	Oxford University Computing Laboratory,
	X	Programming Research Group,
	X	8-11 Keble Road,
	X	Oxford OX1 3QD,
	X	England.
	X	Tel: +44-865-272574 (Sec: +44-865-273840)
	XCopyright (C) 1987,1988  by J.P.Bowen
	XPermission is granted to copy these files for
	Xnon-profit purposes, provided this notice is left intact.
	XPlease send corrections, improvements, etc. to:
	X	JANET: bowen@uk.ac.oxford.prg
	X	ARPA:  bowen%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
	X	UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!ox-prg!bowen
SHAR_EOF
if test 770 -ne "`wc -c < 'README'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'README'" '(should have been 770 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'Makefile'" '(302 characters)'
if test -f 'Makefile'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'Makefile'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'Makefile'
	XBIN=/usr/local/bin
	XMAN=/usr/man/man1
	Xinstall:
	X	chmod +x bib2tex
	X	cp bib2tex $(BIN)/bib2tex
	X	cp bib2tex.1 $(MAN)/bib2tex.1
	X	chown root $(BIN)/bib2tex $(MAN)/bib2tex.1
	X	chgrp system $(BIN)/bib2tex $(MAN)/bib2tex.1
	Xshar:
	X	shar -a README Makefile bib2tex bib2tex.1 > bib2tex.shar
	X	compress bib2tex.shar
SHAR_EOF
if test 302 -ne "`wc -c < 'Makefile'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'Makefile'" '(should have been 302 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'bib2tex'" '(2265 characters)'
if test -f 'bib2tex'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'bib2tex'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'bib2tex'
	X#!/bin/sh
	X#
	X#	bib2tex - output list of references given a BibTeX
	X#			database file as a LaTeX source file
	X#
	X#	Written by Jonathan Bowen, November 1987.
	X#
	XPATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb
	XPROGNAME=`basename $0`
	XDEBUG=false
	XSTYLE=plain
	XNAMEDFILES=false
	XALPHABETICAL=false
	Xwhile expr X"$1" : X'-' > /dev/null
	Xdo
	X    case "$1" in
	X    -a) : sort into alphabetical order
	X	ALPHABETICAL=true
	X	;;
	X    -d)
	X	DEBUG=true
	X	;;
	X    -n) : output to named files
	X	NAMEDFILES=true
	X	;;
	X    -s) : bib style name
	X	if [ "$2" != "" ]
	X	then
	X	    STYLE=$2
	X	    shift
	X	else
	X	    echo "$PROGNAME: no bibliography style name given" 1>&2
	X	    exit 1
	X	fi
	X	;;
	X    -u|-U)
	X	echo "Usage: $PROGNAME [ options ] file [ ... ]
	XOutput list of citations from a BibTeX database in LaTeX source
format.
	X-a	alphabetical ordering		(default=$ALPHABETICAL)
	X-d	enable debugging		(default=$DEBUG)
	X-n	output to named files (*.tex)	(default=$NAMEDFILES)
	X-s name	bibliography style name		(default=\"$STYLE\")
	X-u	display usage information" 1>&2
	X	exit 0
	X	;;
	X    -*)
	X	echo "$PROGNAME: invalid option $1 (try -u)" 1>&2
	X	exit 0
	X	;;
	X    esac
	X    shift
	Xdone
	X# If no files given, give usage.
	Xif [ -z "$*" ]
	Xthen
	X	echo "Usage: $PROGNAME [ options ] file [ ... ]" 1>&2
	X	exit 0
	Xfi
	X# Process each input file
	Xfor FILE in $*
	Xdo
	X	BASENAME=`basename "$FILE" .bib`
	X# Check file is there.
	X    if [ -r "$FILE.bib" -a -f "$FILE.bib" ]
	X    then
	X    	$DEBUG && echo "Reading <$FILE.bib>" 1>&2
	X    	INFILE="$FILE.bib"
	X    elif [ -r "$FILE" -a -f "$FILE" ]
	X    then
	X    	$DEBUG && echo "Reading <$FILE>" 1>&2
	X    	INFILE="$FILE"
	X    else
	X    	echo "$PROGNAME: Can't read $FILE" 1>&2
	X    	INFILE=""
	X    fi
	X# If file exists, process it.
	X    if [ "$INFILE" ]
	X    then
	X# Expand and split trailing spaces
	X	expand $INFILE | sed 's/ *$//' |
	X# Get names
	X	sed -n '/^@.*{.*,$/s/^@.*{\(.*\),$/\\nocite{\1}/p' |
	X# Optionally sort into alphabetical dictionary order
	X	if $ALPHABETICAL
	X	then
	X		sort -d
	X	else
	X		cat
	X	fi |
	X# Add header and footer
	X{
	X	echo "
	X\\documentstyle[11pt]{article}
	X\\begin{document}
	X"
	X	cat
	X#	echo "
	X# \\newpage
	X# \\setcounter{page}{1}
	X# "
	X	echo "
	X\\bibliography{$FILE}
	X\\bibliographystyle{$STYLE}
	X\\end{document}
	X"
	X} |
	X# Check for named files
	X	if $NAMEDFILES
	X	then
	X		cat > "$BASENAME.tex"
	X	else
	X		cat
	X	fi
	X    fi
	Xdone
	Xexit 0
SHAR_EOF
if test 2265 -ne "`wc -c < 'bib2tex'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'bib2tex'" '(should have been 2265 characters)'
fi
chmod +x 'bib2tex'
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'bib2tex.1'" '(1992 characters)'
if test -f 'bib2tex.1'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'bib2tex.1'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'bib2tex.1'
	X.TH BIB2TEX 1L "5 November 1987"
	X.UC
	X.ds TX T\v'3p'\h'-2p'E\v'-3p'\h'-1p'X
	X.ds BT B\s-2IB\s+2\h'-1p'\*(TX
	X.ds LT L\s-2\v'-2p'\h'-3p'A\v'2p'\h'-1p'\s+2\*(TX
	X.SH NAME
	Xbib2tex \- convert a BibTeX format database to LaTeX source format
	X.SH SYNOPSIS
	X.B bib2tex
	X[ options ] file [ ... ]
	X.SH DESCRIPTION
	X.I Bib2tex
	Xreads input from one or more files in \*(BT database format
	Xand outputs \*(LT source on standard output with a list
	Xof optionally sorted citations including each of the BibTeX entries.
	XA file called ``file.bib'' will be read by preference if present.
	XIf not a file called ``file'' will be read.
	X.PP
	XThe output may be passed to \fIlatex\fP(1) and the
	Xcorresponding ``.aux'' file may be passed to \fIbibtex\fP(1)
	Xto produce a complete list of references from a
	XBibTeX database.
	X.PP
	XDetails of the \*(BT format may be found in the
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual'' on pp140\-147.
	X.SH OPTIONS
	XThe following options are available:
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-a
	XSort the entries into alphabetical dictionary order by citation name.
	XThe default is to leave the entries in the order found in the
	Xbibliography.
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-n
	XUse the name of the input file(s) to produce output file(s) in
	Xthe current directory with the same base name and extension
	X``.tex'' rather than sending the output to standard output.
	X.TP 10
	X.BI \-s " name"
	XSpecify the bibliography style to be used.
	XThe default is ``plain''.
	XOther standard styles include ``unsrt'', ``alpha'' and ``abbrv''.
	XSee pp74\-75 of the
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual''
	Xfor more details.
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-u
	XDisplay the usage of the command.
	X.SH FILES
	X.PD 0
	X.TP 30
	X*.tex
	X\*(LT source files
	X.TP 30
	X*.bib
	X\*(BT database files
	X.TP 30
	X*.bst
	X\*(BT style files
	X.PD
	X.SH "SEE ALSO"
	Xbibtex(1),
	Xlatex(1),
	Xref2bib(1L),
	X.br
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual'' by Leslie Lamport
	X.SH AUTHOR
	XJonathan Bowen, Oxford University
	X.SH BUGS
	XThe shell script and manual page may change without notice.
	X.PP
	XPlease report problems to \fI<bowen@uk.ac.oxford.prg>\fP.
SHAR_EOF
if test 1992 -ne "`wc -c < 'bib2tex.1'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'bib2tex.1'" '(should have been 1992 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
#	End of shell archive
exit 0

            --------------- bib2dvi shar file ---------------

#! /bin/sh
# This is a shell archive, meaning:
# 1. Remove everything above the #! /bin/sh line.
# 2. Save the resulting text in a file.
# 3. Execute the file with /bin/sh (not csh) to create the files:
#	README
#	Makefile
#	bib2dvi
#	bib2dvi.1
# This archive created: Mon Jan  9 12:26:45 1989
# By:	Jonathan Bowen (Programming Research Group, Oxford University, UK)
export PATH; PATH=/bin:$PATH
echo shar: extracting "'README'" '(794 characters)'
if test -f 'README'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'README'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'README'
	XThese files relate to the ``bib2dvi'' command which
	Xconverts a BibTeX format database to DVI format.
	XThe files include:
	X	README		this file
	X	Makefile	make and install files
	X	bib2dvi		shell script which does the work
	X	bib2dvi.1	manual page
	XThe program depends on the shell script ``bib2tex''.
	XWritten by
	X	Jonathan Bowen
	X	Oxford University Computing Laboratory,
	X	Programming Research Group,
	X	8-11 Keble Road,
	X	Oxford OX1 3QD,
	X	England.
	X	Tel: +44-865-272574 (Sec: +44-865-273840)
	XCopyright (C) 1987,1988  by J.P.Bowen
	XPermission is granted to copy these files for
	Xnon-profit purposes, provided this notice is left intact.
	XPlease send corrections, improvements, etc. to:
	X	JANET: bowen@uk.ac.oxford.prg
	X	ARPA:  bowen%prg.oxford.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
	X	UUCP:  ...!uunet!mcvax!ukc!ox-prg!bowen
SHAR_EOF
if test 794 -ne "`wc -c < 'README'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'README'" '(should have been 794 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'Makefile'" '(349 characters)'
if test -f 'Makefile'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'Makefile'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'Makefile'
	XBIN=/usr/local/bin
	XMAN=/usr/man/man1
	XPROGNAME=bib2dvi
	Xinstall:
	X	cp $(PROGNAME) $(BIN)/$(PROGNAME)
	X	cp $(PROGNAME).1 $(MAN)/$(PROGNAME).1
	X	chown root $(BIN)/$(PROGNAME) $(MAN)/$(PROGNAME).1
	X	chgrp system $(BIN)/$(PROGNAME) $(MAN)/$(PROGNAME).1
	Xshar:
	X	shar -a README Makefile $(PROGNAME) $(PROGNAME).1 > $(PROGNAME)  .shar
	X	compress $(PROGNAME).shar
SHAR_EOF
if test 349 -ne "`wc -c < 'Makefile'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'Makefile'" '(should have been 349 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'bib2dvi'" '(1796 characters)'
if test -f 'bib2dvi'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'bib2dvi'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'bib2dvi'
	X#!/bin/sh
	X#
	X#	bib2dvi - Convert a BibTeX format file to DVI
	X#			format and optionally display it.
	X#
	X#	Written by Jonathan Bowen, November 1987
	X#
	XPATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/usr/news/bin:/users/bowen/bin
	XPROGNAME=`basename $0`
	XFULL=false
	XCHECK=false
	XVERBOSE=false
	XSTYLE=plain
	Xwhile expr X"$1" : X'-.*' > /dev/null
	Xdo
	X    case "$1" in
	X    -c) : check output using previewer
	X	CHECK=true
	X	;;
	X    -f) : force full processing
	X	FULL=true
	X	;;
	X    -s) : bib style name
	X	if [ "$2" != "" ]
	X	then
	X	    STYLE=$2
	X	    shift
	X	else
	X	    echo "$PROGNAME: no bibliography style name given" 1>&2
	X	    exit 1
	X	fi
	X	;;
	X    -u)
	X	echo "Usage: $PROGNAME [ options ] basename
	XConvert BibTeX format file to DVI format.
	X-c	check output at end of processing	(default=$CHECK)
	X-f	force full processing			(default=$FULL)
	X-s name	bibliography style name			(default=\"$STYLE\")
	X-v	verbose messages			(default=$VERBOSE)
	X-u	display this information"
	X	exit 0
	X	;;
	X    -v)
	X	VERBOSE=true
	X	;;
	X    -*)
	X	echo "$PROGNAME: invalid option $1 (try -u)" 1>&2
	X	exit 1
	X	;;
	X    esac
	X    shift
	Xdone
	Xcase "$1" in
	X"")
	X	echo "$PROGNAME: no filename given" 1>&2
	X	exit 2
	X	;;
	Xesac
	Xif [ ! \( -f "$1.bib" -a -r "$1.bib" \) ]
	Xthen
	X	echo "$PROGNAME: Can't read $1.bib" 1>&2
	X	exit 3
	Xfi
	X$VERBOSE && echo "Converting $1.bib to $1.tex"
	Xbib2tex -s "$STYLE" -n $1
	Xif [ "$FULL" = "true" -o ! -f "$1.aux" -o ! -f "$1.bbl" ]
	Xthen
	X	$VERBOSE && echo "Full processing."
	X	latex $1
	X	$VERBOSE && echo "Producing bibliography."
	X	bibtex -c $1
	X	ed $1.bbl <<'--EOF--' > /dev/null
	X1,$s/\\latex/\\LaTeX/g
	X1,$s/\\tex/\\TeX/g
	Xw
	Xq
	X--EOF--
	Xelse
	X	$VERBOSE && echo "Not full processing."
	Xfi
	Xlatex $1
	Xif $CHECK
	Xthen
	X	$VERBOSE && echo "Displaying output."
	X	texsun $1 &
	Xelse
	X	$VERBOSE && echo "End of processing."
	Xfi
	X$VERBOSE && echo "DVI file in $1.dvi"
	Xexit 0
SHAR_EOF
if test 1796 -ne "`wc -c < 'bib2dvi'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'bib2dvi'" '(should have been 1796 characters)'
fi
chmod +x 'bib2dvi'
fi # end of overwriting check
echo shar: extracting "'bib2dvi.1'" '(2210 characters)'
if test -f 'bib2dvi.1'
then
	echo shar: will not over-write existing file "'bib2dvi.1'"
else
sed 's/^	X//' << \SHAR_EOF > 'bib2dvi.1'
	X.TH BIB2DVI 1L "6 November 1987"
	X.UC
	X.ds TX T\v'3p'\h'-2p'E\v'-3p'\h'-1p'X
	X.ds BT B\s-2IB\s+2\h'-1p'\*(TX
	X.ds LT L\s-2\v'-2p'\h'-3p'A\v'2p'\h'-1p'\s+2\*(TX
	X.SH NAME
	Xbib2dvi \- convert a B\s-2IB\s+2\h'-1p'T\v'3p'\h'-2p'E\v'-3p'\h'-1p'X format database to DVI format
	X.SH SYNOPSIS
	X.B bib2dvi
	X[ options ] basename
	X.SH DESCRIPTION
	X.I Bib2dvi
	Xreads input from a file in \*(BT database format
	Xand produces DVI output.
	XThe basename of the file should be supplied.
	XThe extension ``.bib'' will be added automatically.
	XThe output file will have extension ``.dvi''.
	XThe \*(LT source file with extension ``.tex'' will also be
	Xproduced, together with various other \*(LT and \*(BT
	Xfiles, all with the same basename, but different extensions.
	X.PP
	XFirst \fIbib2tex\fP(1L) produces the \*(LT source.
	XThen \fIlatex\fP(1) and possibly \fIbibtex\fP(1) are used to produce
	Xthe DVI file.
	XOutput will appear on standard output as these are executed.
	X.PP
	XDetails of the \*(BT format may be found in the
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual'' on pp140\-147.
	X.SH OPTIONS
	XThe following options are available:
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-c
	XCheck output.
	XThe \fItexsun\fP(1) previewer is used to display the resulting
	Xoutput for inspection at the end of processing.
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-f
	XForce full processing. Normally only \*(LT is
	Xinvoked unless this option is specified or there is no
	Xexisting corresponding ``.aux'' or ``.bbl'' file. In this case,
	X\*(BT is also invoked.
	X.TP 10
	X.BI \-s " name"
	XSpecify the bibliography style to be used.
	XThe default is ``plain''.
	XOther standard styles include ``unsrt'', ``alpha'' and ``abbrv''.
	XSee pp74\-75 of the
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual''
	Xfor more details.
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-u
	XDisplay the usage of the command.
	X.TP 10
	X.B \-v
	XEnable verbose messages.
	X.SH FILES
	X.PD 0
	X.TP 30
	X*.bib
	X\*(BT database files
	X.TP 30
	X*.dvi
	XDVI format files
	X.TP 30
	X*.tex
	X\*(LT source files
	X.PD
	X.SH "SEE ALSO"
	Xbibtex(1),
	Xbib2tex(1),
	Xlatex(1),
	Xtex(1),
	Xtexsun(1)
	X.br
	X``\*(LT User's Guide & Reference Manual'' by Leslie Lamport
	X.SH AUTHOR
	XJonathan Bowen, Oxford University
	X.SH BUGS
	XError checking is not very good.
	X.PP
	XThe shell script and manual page may change without notice.
	X.PP
	XPlease report problems to \fI<bowen@uk.ac.oxford.prg>\fP.
SHAR_EOF
if test 2210 -ne "`wc -c < 'bib2dvi.1'`"
then
	echo shar: error transmitting "'bib2dvi.1'" '(should have been 2210 characters)'
fi
fi # end of overwriting check
#	End of shell archive
exit 0

Date: Tue 10 Jan 89 06:35:06-PST
From: Oren Patashnik <PATASHNIK@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: BibTeX's \nocite{*} command, and BibTeX documentation

> From: tjo@edsel.siemens.com (Tom Ostrand)
> Subject: Wildcard keys for BibTeX: Producing a complete bibliography listing
>
> I'd like to produce a listing of all references in one or more .bib
> files, i.e., produce a bibliography as opposed to a citation or reference
> list.
> The only way I can do it is to use \nocite and supply it with every
> key in the .bib file.

You unfortunately have an old version of BibTeX.  For the current
version, which as mentioned in the trailer to the TeXhax messages
is 0.99c, you simply give a \notice{*} command.

Furthermore, it sounds as if you might not have "BibTeXing", the
general documentation for BibTeX (besides what's in the LaTeX manual).
If you don't, you should ask your system's BibTeX/LaTeX installer
where on your system it exists.  Installers who don't know about this
documentation either should complain to their distribution source or
should FTP it from directory <TEX.BIBTEX> on host SCORE.STANFORD.EDU.
Please FTP all files (except the few WEB change files that aren't
relevant to your system); this will give you, in addition,
documentation for bibliography-style designers.

	--Oren Patashnik

Date: Fri, 6 Jan 89 13:27:39 CST
From: Shan D Duncan <duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: Bibtex style for AAAS version 0.99a

I was wondering if anyone had a bibtex style for AAAS.  Specifically for
their journal Science.  To quote the Information for Contributors:

" Number references and notes in the order in which they are cited, first
through the text and then through the table and figure legends. List a
reference only one time.  References that are always cited together may be
grouped under a single number.  Use conventional abbreviations for
well-known journals.  For references with up to five authors provide all
the names; for more than five, provide the name of the first author only."

Example: (Mythical)

Chickadees have been know to exist in stable hierarchies during the winter
months (1-4).  However, recent research has found.....(5).  This does not
totally contradict.... (1,2,6).

And so on

References would be:

1. Author(s), {\it journal title} {\bf Vol} (date) pages

2. Author(s), {\it book title} (Publisher, address date) pages

Anything close to this would be VERY appreciated.  I suppose I could do some
editing of the .aux and .bbl files.

Shan Duncan
Dept. of Biol. Sci.         duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
UWM Milw.  WI  53201

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.93                  metafont  1.5
%%%    plain.tex 2.92                  plain.mf  1.0
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 4/26/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.8                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c                 dvipage   3.0
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest
-------