[comp.text] Huge Characters

cclin@brillig.umd.edu (Chih-Chen Lin) (02/04/89)

Is it possible to print very large characters (as in posters) by LaTeX?
The largest one I can get is by using 12pt and \Huge, but it's not big
enough.  Any easy way to do it?  Thanks.

Chih-Chen Lin
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742
ARPA:cclin@brillig.umd.edu  UUCP:uunet!mimsy!brillig!cclin

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (02/05/89)

The largest type size available from LaTeX is 30pt. You can load
larger fonts (within the restrictions of what you have on your system)
with the command \newfont{\cs}{font} where \cs is a LaTeX command which
should select the font and "font" is the specifier for the font (e.g.
cmr10 at 12pt). Ask your TeX maintainers what size fonts are available.

You might have more success using SliTeX to make posters; its fonts have
normalsize where LaTeX has huge. Most of what works in LaTeX also works in
SliTeX. (notable exceptions are sectioning commands and \sc).

-dh

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/05/89)

In article <15795@mimsy.UUCP> cclin@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Chih-Chen Lin) writes:
>Is it possible to print very large characters (as in posters) by LaTeX?
>The largest one I can get is by using 12pt and \Huge, but it's not big
>enough.  Any easy way to do it?  Thanks.

Tex comes with characters at a limited number of magnifications.
There is a font called "cminch", producing characters that are one inch
high at \magstep0.

Huge characters can always be generated with metafont of course.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |