[comp.text] What's the name of ditroff's output

josef@ugun21.UUCP (02/02/89)

With all these names and acronyms floating around, is there an official
name for ditroff's output?

		Josef Moellers

	paper mail:			e-mail:
c/o Nixdorf Computer AG		USA:  uunet!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad
Abt. EG-3			!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad
Unterer Frankfurter Weg
D-4790 Paderborn
tel.: (+49) 5251 104691

Standard disclaimer: Blablabla opinion blablabla employer blablabla!

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/05/89)

In article <5800003@ugun21> josef@ugun21.UUCP writes:
>With all these names and acronyms floating around, is there an official
>name for ditroff's output?

The manual page in the UNIX manual describing ditroff's output
is called troff(5) (or if you prefer, troff.5). The NAME section of
this page says simply, "troff -- description of output language".

If I had to write about it, I would refer to it as "troff.5 output format"
or something like that; that would do for talking too, even though
it sounds more clumsy than "C", or "BASIC", or "DVI".

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD