[comp.text] SGML information

nurk@eta.unix.ETA.COM (Tom Nurkkala) (02/09/89)

Where can I get information on SGML?  An electronic (anon FTP) source would
be great.

Thanks.

--
Tom Nurkkala 			nurk@zwingli.unix.eta.com
   Software Engineer

edb@io.UUCP (Ed Blachman x4420) (02/10/89)

In article <2367@zwingli.unix.ETA.COM> nurk@eta.unix.ETA.COM (Tom Nurkkala) writes:
>Where can I get information on SGML?  An electronic (anon FTP) source would
>be great.

I'm not sure about electronic sources of info on SGML, but then "information
 on SGML" is pretty vague.  Here's a cut at a 0th-level intro to SGML.

SGML stands for Standard Generalized Markup Language.  It is an ISO standard
 that describes rules for writing a family of structure and content oriented
 markup languages.  Its facilities lend themselves to writing languages that
 describe documents as relatively deeply nested trees of logical constructs,
 with text and other data at the leaves of the tree.  These constructs (ele-
 ments in the prevailing jargon) can be festooned with attributes, whose
 values can be of a number of different types.

SGML has been kicking around for a number of years (the first draft of the
 spec *I* ever saw was a 1983 draft, and it was substantially similar to the
 now-official ISO 8879 standard), but until recently it received lip service
 and little more from most vendors.  This is changing as Big Institutions
 (notably the DoD in the US, through its CALS initiative, but also a lot of
 European agencies and corporations) are beginning to insist on it.

SGML is not intended to deal with formatting and presentation issues.  Those
 lie in the domains of two companion standards that are in the works (and
 still pretty incomplete): DSSSL (I forget what it stands for, but it will
 to tie elements and attributes to presentation oriented characteristics
 like fonts and page models) and SPDL (Standard Page Description Language).

Reading list:

There is a new book out on SGML which has the reputation at least of being the
 most accessible book on the topic yet published:

SGML: an author's guide to the Standard Generalized Markup Language
Martin Bryan
Addison-Wesley (first), 1988
(trade pb, ISBN: 0-201-17535-5, cost?)

Beyond that, there's the ISO spec itself (pretty rough going) and random
 magazine articles of varying quality.  The best one I've seen was called
 "An SGML Tutorial" by John Bottoms; it appeared in the Fall '88 newsletter
 of the Boston Computer Society CD-ROM Sig, slightly modified from a version
 that had appeared as "A Meta-Language Tutorial" in Electronic Publishing
 Business Newsletter.

Another resource is the SGML Users' Group:

SGML Users' Group
Pindar Infotek Ltd
11 Melrose Yard
Walmgate
York. YO1 2XF
United Kingdom

-- good luck!

>--
>Tom Nurkkala 			nurk@zwingli.unix.eta.com
>   Software Engineer
>   ETA Systems, Inc.
>   1450 Energy Park Drive	"My brain is just a BUNDLE of nerves."
>   St. Paul, MN  55108
>   612/642-8390

Ed Blachman	...!mit-eddie!ileaf!edb	    (or)    edb@ileaf.com
Software Engineer