[comp.text] Font tables in the TeXbook

dwd@sfsup.UUCP (D.W.Dougherty) (02/06/89)

Does anybody know how to construct font tables like those that appear
in D.E.K.'s TeXbook (appendix E or F)?  I received a bunch of fonts
the other day, and need to know exactly what is in each file.  Thanks
in advance (of course) for any help.

__
David Dougherty @ AT&T Bell Laboratories
UUCP:	att!attunix!dwd
ARPA:	dwd@sfsup.att.com

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (02/07/89)

|Does anybody know how to construct font tables like those that appear
|in D.E.K.'s TeXbook (appendix E or F)?  I received a bunch of fonts
|the other day, and need to know exactly what is in each file.  Thanks
|in advance (of course) for any help.

In your TeX distribution you should find the file fontbl.tex. Run tex
on it and follow the instructions. It doesn't output in Appendix F
format but it shows you what is there.

Trivia for the week: Each appendix's letter is the first letter of its
title, hence F for Font Tables.

debra@alice.UUCP (Paul De Bra) (02/07/89)

In article <4750@sfsup.UUCP> dwd@sfsup.UUCP (D.W.Dougherty) writes:
>Does anybody know how to construct font tables like those that appear
>in D.E.K.'s TeXbook (appendix E or F)?  I received a bunch of fonts
>the other day, and need to know exactly what is in each file.  Thanks

tex testfont

will do the trick. it will ask for the name of the font you want to print.

Paul.
|debra@research.att.com   | uunet!research!debra     |

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (02/07/89)

In article <4750@sfsup.UUCP> dwd@sfsup.UUCP (D.W.Dougherty) writes:
>Does anybody know how to construct font tables like those that appear
>in D.E.K.'s TeXbook (appendix E or F)?  I received a bunch of fonts
>the other day, and need to know exactly what is in each file.  Thanks
>in advance (of course) for any help.
Try using the testfont.tex macros in the back of the METAfont book.
Not only can you produce font tables, but a variety of other tests are
provided for a new font.
J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

People always get what they ask for; the only trouble is that they never
know, until they get it, what they have asked for.
                                    - Aldous Huxley

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (02/11/89)

Use the program testfont.tex  If you don't have it you can get it from
the clarkson archive.  It is in tex-inputs

--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet