[comp.text] Miscellaneous TeX questions

horne-scott@CS.Yale.EDU (Scott Horne) (02/11/89)

Sender: TeXacker _extraordinaire_ :-)

1) I need good macros for the ``such that'' and ``therefore'' symbols:

       ---            .
     . ---| .
       ---          .   .

The former can probably be constructed from `\cdot' and `\ni', the latter
from `\cdot'.

2) I'm taking 2 courses in computer science & therefore need to include
programs and fragments of code in my TeX documents.  I copied the sections
of "manmac.tex" that set anything between pipes (`|'), even characters
like `{' and `$' that have other meanings to TeX, in the typewriter font.
I've also tried the `\begintt' macro; it doesn't work satisfactorily because
it doesn't set spaces that come at the start of a line, thus indented text
will not be indented.  So I must use `\beginlines' and also insert `| ... |'
around every line!  Also, a problem with Knuth's `|' hack is that `|' isn't
given the meaning of `\vert' in math mode.  (I found this out when using
`|' in some formulae later in the text; for the time being, I used the hack
		\catcode`\|=\other
But I don't want to have to do this all the time.)

Does anyone have better macros?

3) I write telephone numbers in the following manner:  203 436-1756.
How should I do that in TeX?  `203~436--1756'?

4) Are Cyrillic fonts available?  (I've seen them in the appendices to
_The TeXbook_.)  Is there a convenient keyboard mapping for them, or must
the input be done as the Greek is (a control sequence for each letter)?

5) Has Knuth made available the math font that he used in _Concrete
Mathematics_?

6) Are ``blackboard bold'' fonts available?  From where?

Many thanks.

					--Scott Horne

horne-scott@cs.yale.edu          ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne-scott
203 436-1756                    Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
I wish I *could* represent Yale, but Benno Schmidt won't let me....

mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael DeCorte) (02/12/89)

Available from the clarkson archive is
latex-style amssymbols.sty
tex-style mssymb.tex
amstex-style mssymb.sty

that will do what you want if you have the amstex fonts which are also
available here at Clarkson.
--

Michael DeCorte // (315)265-2439 // P.O. Box 652, Potsdam, NY 13676
Internet: mrd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  // Bitnet:   mrd@clutx.bitnet

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (02/13/89)

In article <50292@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, horne-scott@CS.Yale.EDU (Scott Horne) writes:
> 2) I'm taking 2 courses in computer science & therefore need to include
> programs and fragments of code in my TeX documents. [...]
>                        So I must use `\beginlines' and also insert `| ... |'
> around every line!

LaTeX provides an environment called "verbatim".  Everything between
\begin{verbatim} and \end{verbatim} appears as typed in typewriter font.
LaTeX also provides a \verb|...| macro which is useful for in-line verbatim
text, but verbatim is probably what you need for your application.

Look at latex.tex to see how these are defined.

> 3) I write telephone numbers in the following manner:  203 436-1756.
> How should I do that in TeX?  `203~436--1756'?

Seems reasonable.

-- Ashwin.