[comp.text] TeX documentation

c60c-1dm@e260-1b.berkeley.edu (Adam Glass) (02/16/89)

Hi,
We are running TeX version 2.95 here.  Unfortunately there is no documentation
online for TeX itself, or any of the macro packages.  Is there someplace
that I can FTP this information from?

later,
ag

--
Adam Glass                           |Internet: c60c-1dm@WEB.berkeley.edu
"perception is reality.              |Bitnet  : c9d-ag@UCBSEYMO.bitnet

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (02/17/89)

In article <28051@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> c60c-1dm@e260-1b.berkeley.edu (Adam Glass) writes:
>We are running TeX version 2.95 here.  Unfortunately there is no documentation
>online for TeX itself, or any of the macro packages.  Is there someplace
>that I can FTP this information from?

You should get a copy of Knuth's _The_TeXbook_ and/or Lamport's
_LaTeX_User's_Guide_and_Reference_Manual_.

There's not much in the way of on-line documentation that I know of,
although score.stanford.edu has the complete TeX source of both
_The_TeXbook_ and _The_METAFONTbook_ on-line for the sole purpose of
aiding the the aspiring TeX/METAFONT hacker in learning how the
typographic effects were achieved in the books.  (look in
<tex.doc>{mf,tex}man.tex)  i.e., You're not supposed to print them!
There shouldn't be too much incentive anyway, since you're not saving
that much $$ by laser-printing about 500 pages at roughly $.05/page
(including paper/toner, wear and tear on the machine...)  The books
only cost about $28, and you get the delightful drawings by Duane
Bibby, which you can't get by printing it yourself.

-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu