[comp.text] troff support of HP DeskJet

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/26/89)

I want to make a DeskJet talk to ditroff.  Anyone out there have
a driver for such an animal?
Thanks.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (02/27/89)

In article <1723@ssc.UUCP> fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
>I want to make a DeskJet talk to ditroff.  Anyone out there have
>a driver for such an animal?
>Thanks.

If you can't find a driver for the DeskJet, you can always obtain
JetRoff (from uunet!pcrat!jetroff), which is a LJ driver with full
source, and modify it to drive the DJ.

The author of Jetroff, Rick Richardson, has already stated that he
doesn't think the DJ is suitable for typesetting, so he probably won't
support it, but it probably is the closest you'll find out there.

An early version of JetRoff was posted to c.s.m. a few months ago;
to get the latest version you'll have to register and pay $50 for
individual license, $100 for commercial license.
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (02/27/89)

> The author of Jetroff, Rick Richardson, has already stated that he
> doesn't think the DJ is suitable for typesetting, so he probably won't
> support it, but it probably is the closest you'll find out there.

Gee, TeX output looks quite good on the DeskJet.  Of course, patience is
required (two to six minutes a page) but some people don't have need for
quantity; eighty pages a day is all they need.

-tom

In article <7228@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>> The author of Jetroff, Rick Richardson, has already stated that he
>> doesn't think the DJ is suitable for typesetting, so he probably won't
>> support it, but it probably is the closest you'll find out there.
>
>Gee, TeX output looks quite good on the DeskJet.  Of course, patience is
>required (two to six minutes a page) but some people don't have need for
>quantity; eighty pages a day is all they need.

Is that using a Deskjet driver or a Laserjet driver?

And I agree that it will probably not look bad -- better than a standard
dot matrix printer -- and neither will troff output with an appropriate
driver, but Rick just doesn't feel its worth his time and effort to support
it.

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (02/28/89)

>>Gee, TeX output looks quite good on the DeskJet.
>Is that using a Deskjet driver or a Laserjet driver?

A special DeskJet driver; fonts on the DeskJet are sufficiently different
and brain-damaged that LaserJet drivers won't work if the use downloaded
fonts.  So you start slinging bits around . . .

It's a great little printer, and it's very very popular.

-tom