[comp.text] TeX for PC-AT

gm@romeo.cs.duke.edu (Greg McGary) (03/12/89)

In article <47700046@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>There is a free TeX in venus.cs.yale.edu:ftp/sbtex.arc.
>>Gary Beihl distributes a shareware TeX (DosTeX).
>
>>They all have a few implementation quirks due to the memory squeeze on
>>PCs.
>
>There is a solution to the PC size problem, if you have a 386 machine
>and 3 or more megabytes of memory...

If you have a less capable PC with a 640K barrier, I suggest that SBTeX
is the less memory consumptive of the two freely available TeXs.  It can
handle LaTeX for reasonably sized documents.  If you need more space,
you can always comment-out unused fonts in lfonts.tex, and unused
environments in latex.tex.

SBTeX is also two to three times faster than DosTeX.  It's comparable
to the commercially available TeXs for the PC.  It's available on
simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74] in pd1:<msdos.tex>sbtex.arc

-- Greg McGary
-- 4201 University Drive #102, Durham, NC 27707       voice: (919) 490-6037
-- {decvax,hplabs,seismo,mcnc}!duke!gm                 data: (919) 493-5953
--                                  gm@cs.duke.edu