[comp.text] Is there a "C" version of MetaFont Utilities

cczdao@clan.clan.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (03/19/89)

In article <350@zeus.hf.intel.com> martin@zeus.hf.intel.com (Martin Wilde) writes:
>Does anyone know the whereabouts of C versions of the MetaFont
>utilities.  I am trying to use TeX on a Unix V.3.2 machine and
>I don't have the bezerkly pascal compiler.....

you need the Web-to-C package, by Tim Morgan and Tomas Rokicki,
which generates `special' Pascal from Tangle by using new changefiles
...the Pascal is then translated into C.  all the `big' products,
like TeX and METAFONT can be translated, and there are Web-to-C
changefiles for most of the utilities like Weave, Tangle and the
font-handling tools such as GFtoPK, TFtoPL, PLtoTF and so on.
i'm using the C versions of all these on this System V.2 machine.
Web-to-C has been on the Washington Unix TeX tapes since about May last year,
i think.

dave.
--
David Osborne
 Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK