[comp.text] JTeX status and availability

rcbaleon@eutrc3.UUCP (Leon Oninckx) (03/18/89)

Hello,

I have heard that there exists a japanese version of TeX called JTeX.
Does someone have any information on it? And where can I get it? And
what font types are used? Please someone give me some more info on this.
I would like to have a copy of the distribution, but I have been unable
to find someone who actually has a copy of it.

Leon Oninckx
rcbaleon@eutrc3.UUCP

tex@wucc.waseda.JUNET (KAMIYA Fumiaki) (03/22/89)

In article <507@eutrc3.UUCP>, rcbaleon@eutrc3.UUCP (Leon Oninckx) writes:
> I have heard that there exists a japanese version of TeX called JTeX.
> Does someone have any information on it? And where can I get it? And
> what font types are used? Please someone give me some more info on this.
> I would like to have a copy of the distribution, but I have been unable
> to find someone who actually has a copy of it.

I hope someone will follow up in details, but for the moment, a breif
information.

As far as I know, there are two JTeXs: NTT-JTeX and ASCII-JTeX.  But
since I'm not using ASCII-JTeX, I don't know what it's like.  NTT-JTeX
is a localized TeX done at NTT and is also ported to UNIX.  You can
get the best out of it if you obtain the font from Dai-Nippon
Publishing but you are asked for a license fee (95000 yen).  They
provide fonts for the micho style and the gothic style.  Even if you
can't obatain this 'rich-man's font,' you can try it out with the
'poor-man's font' which is generated from JIS standard, but as you can
easily guess from its nickname, it isn't beautiful.

For information of UNIX-ported JTeX in general, you should contact Mr.
Sakurai of Tokyo Metropolitan University.  But since I don't know
whether he can receive mail from overseas, I will not mention his mail
address here.  (I hope someone else will make this point clear, too)

KAMIYA Fumiaki
Dept of Math, Waseda Univ, Japan

* Don't reply to me by mail, because I don't pay for the gateway and
  thus can't receive mail from overeas!