[comp.text] installation of TeX on AIX

eco@ece-csc.UUCP (ECO) (03/15/89)

Hi. I'm trying to install TeX 2.95 on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2.1 (Sys 5).
During the execution of the line:

	../texware/tangle tex.web ctex.ch

I get the error:

	! Value too big: 2550000.  (1.3151)

It appears (although I could be wrong) that this line in tex.web is the culprit:

	@d eject_penalty=-inf_penalty {``negatively infinite'' penalty value}

I'm not compiling with the BIG patch.  Any comments, hints, suggestions,
solutions would be GREATLY appreciated!

			Amy Johnson (johnson%eceugs@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu)
			Engineering Computer Operations
			North Carolina State University

morris@carcoar.Stanford.EDU (Kate Morris) (03/23/89)

In article <3954@ece-csc.UUCP> eco@ece-csc.UUCP (ECO) writes:

>Hi. I'm trying to install TeX 2.95 on an IBM RT running AIX 2.2.1 (Sys 5).
>During the execution of the line:
>
>	../texware/tangle tex.web ctex.ch
>
>I get the error:
>
>	! Value too big: 2550000.  (1.3151)
>
>			Amy Johnson (johnson%eceugs@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu)
>			Engineering Computer Operations
>			North Carolina State University

I was compiling TeX 2.95 on an IBM RT running the December 88 release of
AOS (4.3), and I had the same problem.  It looks like the RT has problems
converting between chars and ints (or at least, it doesn't do what the
writers of ctex expected it to do).  I tried compiling using hc (it didn't
get even as far as this), hc1.4 and pcc; the last two both died at the line
above.

My "solution" (very inelegant, I know) was to typedef short schar; in
"site.h" -- the default is typedef char schar.  pcc doesn't understand the
signed char type, so that wouldn't work.  Anyway, tex now compiles with no
problems.

	-Kate Morris (morris@carcoar.stanford.edu)
	 Computer Science Department,
	 Stanford University