[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V89 #17

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (03/23/89)

TeXhax Digest    Tuesday, February 28, 1989  Volume 89 : Issue 17

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                       Needed: TeX for IBM-PC/AT
                            Fonts and TeX
                      LaTeX and Postscript Fonts
                 LaTeX and Postscript Fonts (response)
                    Planetary symbols for metafont
                      VMS HELP File for TeX/LaTeX
                           TeX man pages
                       More on LaTeX manual page
          LaTeX floating figures and tables, one solution
                     Problems with page headings...
                       Problem with references
                     Turning hyphens on and off
                           Gray background
                         Re: gray background
                       More on gray backgrounds
                      Spelling checker suggestion

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 15:34 N
From: <MSCHENK%CLSUNI51.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Needed: TeX for IBM-PC/AT

I am looking for a version of Tex that would "run" on an IBM-AT.

Any Hints?
Many thanks in advance,
Marc Schenk
Bitnet: MSCHENK@CLSUNI51

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 21:40:19 EST
From: Joel F. Plotkin <plotkin@eneevax.eng.umd.edu>
Subject: Fonts and TeX

Hello- haven't ever tried using this before (never usually read news)
but I have some questions for a TeXpert--- I am responsible for
installing TeX here at the University of Maryland, College of Engineering...

I am currently trying to put together a complete font tree for both
write-white and write-black printers and want to know if I can get/generate
the ams fonts for both types of printers? I'de be willing to go all the
way back to the metafonts-in-sail programs if I could find someone to
guide me along the way... OR- are the ams fonts obsoleted by fonts I do
not know about?

Joel Plotkin

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 14:35:05 +0000
From: J.Pearce@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: LaTeX and Postscript Fonts

Can anyone tell be how to alter LaTeX so that the Computer
Modern font is replaced by a postscript font such as times
(either using times just for text and CM for maths; or times
for both text and CM).

John R. Pearce

jpearce@uk.ac.ucl.cs
Computer Science Department,
University College London.
Gower Street,
London,
WC1E 6BT.

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 89 22:18:26 PST
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: LaTeX and Postscript Fonts (response)

IFF you have tfm files for your postscript fonts (they can be made up)
AND you have a driver that will accept both METAFONT rastered fonts
and resident PostScript fonts, you can do it.

Make your own copy of the \font equivalences in lfonts.tex, and
read them in to overwrite the defaults.  Since LaTeX uses general
names for fonts---if it lets you specify them at all, the results
will be essentially transparent.  \rm can be anything you tell it
to be.  But Adobe fonts (which is what most mean by PostScript fonts)
do not provide for math mode in the way TeX requires, so you will
run into difficulties if you get very far outside simple text.

Stefan Bechtolsheim's dvipsps is rumored to make the combination
of Adobe printer resident fonts and METAFONT rasterized fonts
possible.  If you use this sort of DVI-interpreter you may be
able to substitute fonts pretty freely.

Email:  mackay@june.cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computer Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Lewis Hall, Mail Stop DW10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 15:16:10 PST
From: WMO@muon.JPL.NASA.GOV
Subject: Planetary symbols for metafont

inform you that I have cmmf source code to produce symbols for the Sun,
Moon, all nine planets, the vernal and autumnal equinoxes (Aries and
Libra), and the ascending and descending nodes (dragon's head and tail).
I didn't do the other 10 signs of the zodiac, though.

                                    Bill Owen
                                    Jet Propulsion Laboratory 301-125L
                                    4800 Oak Grove Drive
                                    Pasadena CA 91109 USA
                                    (818) 354-2505
                                    wmo@muon.jpl.nasa.gov
                                    or MUON::WMO on SPAN

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 17:16:56 est
From: ramsey%cuavax.dnet@netcon.cua.edu (Betsy Ramsey)
Subject: VMS HELP File for TeX/LaTeX

        Just as Andrew Greene is looking for man pages for TeX and
        LaTeX, we're looking for VAX/VMS HELP file entries for TeX and
        LaTeX. If you have such a thing, or know someone who does, I'd
        appreciate hearing from you.  Please reply directly to me.

        Betsy Ramsey
        Catholic University of America
        Washington, DC

        Internet: RAMSEY%CUAVAX.DNET@NETCON.CUA.EDU
          Bitnet: RAMSEY@CUA
           Phone: 202-635-5373

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 15:15:07 GMT
From: Sebastian Rahtz <spqr%electronics-and-computer-science.southampton.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: TeX man pages

TeX 89 #9 contains a request for TeX man pages. There is a good
collection in tex82/tex-manpages (or similar) in the Unix TeX distribution.
Not one for LaTeX though.

Sebastian Rahtz, Southampton, UK

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 09:44:38 GMT
From: Sebastian Rahtz
<spqr%computer-science.southampton.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Subject: More on LaTeX manual pages
LaTeX, man pages

since someone asked for one, heres a contribution; it relates to our
setup at Southampton, but its a start

.TH LATEX 1L  22/2/89
.SH NAME
latex  \- text formatting and typesetting
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B latex
 filename
.PP

.SH DESCRIPTION
LaTeX
formats the interspersed generic markup commands and
text contained in the named files
and outputs a typesetter independent file (called
.I DVI
which is short for
.IR D e V ice
.IR I ndependent ).
LaTeX
capabilities and language are described in
.I The LaTeXbook
by Leslie Lamport, published by Addison-Wesley. Most users will also
need to consult  the
.I Local Guide
documenting local options. LaTeX is in fact a macro
package built on top of plain TeX (q.v.), and all TeX control sequences
can be used within LaTeX, so heavy users may also need to read the
.I TeXbook
by Donald Knuth, also published by Addison Wesley.
.PP
The parameter to LaTeX should normally be a file name;
the normal usage is to say
.RB `` latex
.IR paper ''
to start processing
.I paper.tex.
The name ``paper'' will be the ``jobname'', and is used in forming
output file names.
If LaTeX doesn't get a file name in the first line, the jobname is ``texput''.
The default `.tex' extension can be overridden by specifying an extension
explicitly.
.PP
If there is no paper.tex in the current directory, LaTeX will look
look through a search path of directories to try to find it.
.PP
The output DVI file is written on
.I name.dvi
where
.I name
is the jobname.
A log of error messages goes into
.I name.log, and a set of auxiliary cross-referencing information goes into
.I name.aux.
Where appropriate, LaTeX will also write files with suffixes of
.I lot,
(list of tables)
.I lof,
(list of figures)
.I toc,
(table of contents)
and
.I ind
(index entries).
.PP
.PP
A number of output drivers are available.  At Southampton, we support
printing on PostScript devices, with the
.I dvi
command, and previewing on a Sun workstation under Suntools or
X-Windows, using respectively
.I textool
or
.I texx
(see manual pages).
.PP
There are some environment variables that can be used to set up directory
paths to search when LaTeX opens a file for input.
For example, the
.I csh
command
.br
.in +2
setenv TEXINPUTS .:/u/staff/me/mylib:/u/tex/inputs
.in -2
or the
.I sh
command sequence
.br
.in +2
TEXINPUTS=.:/u/staff/me/mylib:/u/tex/inputs
.br
export TEXINPUTS
.in -2
.br
would cause all invocations of LaTeX to look for
\\input files first in the current directory, then in a hypothetical
user's ``mylib'', and finally in the system library.
Normally, the user will place the command sequence which sets up the
TEXINPUTS environment variable in the
.I .cshrc
or
.I .profile
file.
The Environment section below lists the relevant environment variables,
and their defaults.
.PP
The
.I e
response to LaTeX's error prompt causes the
.I vi
editor to start up at the current line of the current file.
There is an environment variable, TEXEDIT, that can be used to change the
editor used.  It should contain a string with "%s" indicating where the
filename goes and "%d" indicating where the decimal linenumber (if any) goes.
For example, a TEXEDIT string for
.I gnuemacs
can be set by:
.br
.ti +2
setenv TEXEDIT "/usr/local/emacs -l/u/gnu/gnuemacs/lisp/tex-start
-estartline %d %s"
.br
(replacing the path name for the emacs as appropriate on your system).
.PP
.PP
A convenient file in the library is null.tex, containing nothing.
When tex can't find a file it thinks you want to input, it keeps
asking you for another file name;  responding `null' gets you out
of the loop if you don't want to input anything.
.PP
.SH ENVIRONMENT
.PP
.IP TEXINPUTS
Search path for \\input and \\openin files.  It should be colon-separated,
and start with ``.''.  The entire path must be no longer than 700
characters long.
Default: .:/u/tex/inputs
.IP TEXFONTS
Search path for font metric files.  The entire path must be no longer than 100
characters long.  The default doesn't include the current area (".") to
avoid confusing the programs that convert the output for printing on the
various output devices.
Default: /u/tex/mftfm:/u/tex/pstfm
.IP TEXFORMATS
Search path for format files.  Default: .:/u/tex/formats
.IP TEXPOOL
Search path for TeX strings.  Default: .:/u/tex/tex82
.IP TEXEDIT
Command template for switching to editor.  Default: "/usr/ucb/vi +%d %s"

.SH FILES

.TP 2.5i
/u/tex
TeX's library area
.TP
/u/tex/tex82
Encoded text of TeX's messages
.TP
/u/tex/mftfm
TeX's font width tables for Metafont-created fonts
.TP
/u/tex/pstfm
TeX's font width tables for PostScript fonts
.TP
/u/tex/pk118/*.*pk
Bit maps for low resolution devices (screen previewers)
.TP
/u/tex/formats
TeX system macros and .fmt files
.br
.SH "SEE ALSO"
Donald E. Knuth,
.I The TeXbook
.br
Leslie Lamport,
.I The LaTeX  Document Preparation System
.br
.I TUGBOAT
(the publication of the TeX Users Group)
.br
.I texhax
(the TUG electronic mailing list)
.SH "TRIVIA"
TeX, pronounced properly, rhymes with ``blecchhh.''  Note that the proper
spelling in typewriter-like output is ``TeX'' and not ``TEX'' or ``tex.''
LaTeX is pronounced and written
similarly, but the `La' may be pronounced `lay' or
`lah' according to preference.
.SH "BUGS"
There is no way to read a LaTeX input file with no filename extension.
.SH "AUTHORS"
TeX was designed by Donald E. Knuth,
who implemented it using his WEB system for Pascal programs.
It was ported to Unix at Stanford by Howard Trickey, and
at Cornell by Pavel Curtis. This version is an automatic translation
into C using a program (web2c) by Tim Morgan.
The LaTeX macros were written by Leslie Lamport, now at DEC Research.

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 01:23:08 -0500
From: ingr!b11!jim@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: LaTeX floating figures and tables, one solution

As others may have noticed, there can be problems with floating figures and
tables in LaTeX, notably when a whole collection of floats drift to the
end of a chapter or section (ie, until the first \clearpage).  Having
recently seen this problem one too many times I decided to find a solution.

After considering the placement rules for floats and the constraints
imposed by the default style parameters, it was easy to envision several
cases where two floats would have to be deferred until a \clearpage.  This
of course blocks all subsequent floats of that type from being output.  I
decided that I would rather have all floats either; appear when defined,
assuming there is sufficient space on the page, or at the beginning of the
but I can fix those if I can depend on the floats being output immediately.

The easiest solution turned out to be changing the style parameters.  The
values of these, original and now in use are:

 parameter      old value   new value
\topnumber          2          5     % max floats allowed at top
\topfraction         .7         .9   % max fraction of floats vs text at top
\bottomnumber       1          5     % max floats allowed at bottom
\bottomfraction      .3         .9   % max fraction of floats vs text at bottom
\totalnumber        3         10     % max floats per page
\textfraction        .3         .05  % min fraction of page that must be text
\floatpagefraction   .5         .05  % min fraction of floats on a float page

The results are suprisingly good, in our opinion.  We do get a number of
bad page breaks where there are large (over 3in tall) figures or tables, or
several small floats defined on one page.  Note: there are probably a
number of other parameter choices that will work, these were rather
empirically chosen.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al
 The opinions expressed above are just that.
 Ph.    (205) 536-8581               email: uunet!ingr!b11!jim

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 20:19 GMT
From: SCCS6038%IRUCCVAX.UCC.IE@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Problems with page headings...

Hi all,

Is there anybody in TeX/LaTeX (preferably LaTeX) land who may help
me with my problem, which is

In LaTeX, when using the \markboth command to define page headings,
in combination with the \pagestyle{myheadings} command,
LaTeX supplies a page number on the right (and left for even twosided
printing), in the defined header.
Is there a way of removing this page number and leaving it in its
original place (on the bottom of the page using REPORT format, for
example). I would be grateful for any help.
Thanks to you all in advance.

Aidan Delaney   sccs6038%iruccvax.ucc.ie@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 17:58:11 EST
From: toms@ncifcrf.gov
Subject: Problem with references

LaTexperts:

A friend of mine is having trouble with references in LaTex.
Does somebody know how to solve it?  Please post to the net or mail
him directly at lemkin@ncifcrf.gov.
  Tom Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Mathematical Biology
  Frederick, Maryland
  toms@ncifcrf.gov

\documentstyle{book}
\begin{document}
\chapter{junk10.tex}
\section{Examples of examples}
\label{examples-of-examples}

\begin{verbatim}
% The following LaTex input does NOT expand the ~\ref entries
% correctly if the \label's were done for counters I defined. Eg
% 'exmplC'. If you look in the junk10.aux file,
% the entries are:
%    \newlabel{examples-of-examples}{{1.1}{1}}
%    \newlabel{ONE}{{1.1}{2}}
%    \newlabel{TWO}{{1.1}{2}}
%    \newlabel{THREE}{{1.1}{2}}
% whereas they should be:
%    \newlabel{examples-of-examples}{{1.1}{1}}
%    \newlabel{ONE}{{1}{2}}
%    \newlabel{TWO}{{2}{2}}
%    \newlabel{THREE}{{3}{2}}
% So that when you recompile the second time the ~\ref's of ONE,
% TWO and THREE are wrong. [Instead of being 1, 2, 3 - they are 1.1, 1.1,
% 1.1.] Why is it picking up the \label from the \section call?

\documentstyle{book}
\begin{document}
\chapter{junk10.tex}
\section{Examples of examples}
\label{examples-of-examples}

%---------------------------------------------------------
\newcounter{exmplC}
\newcommand{\exCtrC}{{{\refstepcounter{exmplC}}{\theexmplC}{}}}
%---------------------------------------------------------
VALUE = {\exCtrC}\\
\label{ONE}
% ==================================================================
VALUE = {\exCtrC}\\
\label{TWO}
% ==================================================================
VALUE = {\exCtrC}\\
\label{THREE}
% ==================================================================

\bigskip
Section~\ref{examples-of-examples}, Example~\ref{ONE} page~\pageref{ONE}.
Section~\ref{examples-of-examples}, Example~\ref{TWO} page~\pageref{TWO}.
Section~\ref{examples-of-examples}, Example~\ref{THREE} page~\pageref{THREE}.
\end{document}

% ----> OK this is the real thing<-------
\end{verbatim}
%---------------------------------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 11:08:06 PST
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Turning hyphens on and off

Hyphenation is switched on and off at the font.  You will have to load
your own version of lfonts.tex, and disable \@nohyphens, which
is used on all tt fonts.  I suppose you could also read over the file
and determine how to reset hyphenchar for the tt font you want to
use so that it refers to a valid character, rather than -1.
The basic assignment for any given font is either
\hyphenchar = `\- if the hyphen is in the expected place,
and
\hyphenchar = -1 if you want to turn off hyphenation.

Date: Tue, 21 Feb 89 10:52:19 PST
From: mackay@cs.washington.edu (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Gray background

The halftone font may give you a working solution using font characters.
We have used this font with some success for portraits.  A little experiment
should determine just which characters give the best general flat grey.
(this font is available from SCORE, and is in ./utilityfonts/half on
the UnixTeX distribution)

% halftone font with 65 levels of gray, characters "0" (white) to "p" (black)

pair p[]; % the pixels in order (first p0 becomes black, then p1, etc)
p0=(1,1);
p8=(2,0);
p16=(1,0);
p24=(0,0);
p32=(3,-1);
p40=(2,-1);
p48=(1,-1);
p56=(2,-2);
transform r; r=identity rotatedaround ((1.5,1.5),90);

for i=0 step 8 until 56:
 p[i+2]=p[i] transformed r;
 p[i+6]=p[i+2] transformed r;
 p[i+5]=p[i+6] transformed r;
 p[i+1]=p[i] shifted (4,4);
 p[i+3]=p[i+2] shifted (4,4);
 p[i+7]=p[i+6] shifted (4,4);
 p[i+4]=p[i+5] shifted (4,4);
 endfor

for i=32 step 1 until 63:
 p[i] := (xpart p[i] mod 8, ypart p[i] mod 8);
endfor

mode_setup;
designsize:=64/pt; % that's 64 pixels

def makebox(text t)= enddef; % shut off boxes

picture prevchar;

prevchar=nullpicture;
for i=0 upto 64:
 beginchar(i+ASCII"0",designsize/8,designsize/8,0);
 currentpicture:=prevchar;
 if i>0: fill unitsquare shifted p[i-1]; fi
 prevchar:=currentpicture;
 endchar;
 endfor

font_quad=designsize/8;
end

To set up for this you need first to write a small driver file called
hplain.mf (the "h" is for 'here', and is given as an example.  Choose
whatever you like.)

The file should be in the MFINPUTS or the MFBASES path.  I usually
put it in MFBASES and rely on the fact that that MFINPUTS looks
in . first.  That ensures that the resultant *.base file is
going to land in the default MFBASES directory.

The file contains the lines

input plain
input <here>.mf; dump

where <here>.mf is a "mode_def" file based on something like
U_Wash.mf (in ./utilityfonts/bases in the distribution)  You
have to select a mode_def that fits your local printer.

then the command line

inimf hplain

will produce hplain.base

Then you can run

virmf \&hplain\; \\mode=<yourprinter>\; input halftone

and voila!

Email:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for

Date: 22 Feb 89  21:31:50 gmt
From: G.Toal%EDINBURGH.AC.UK@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: Spelling checker suggestion

Hello TeXies,

I too have been thinking about good spelling checking for TeX; my
conclusion is that the only 100% de-texer or de-latexer is TeX
itself.  I.e. extract the text from a dvi file rather than a TeX source.

   I may (time permitting) knock up a dvi -> text utility
which spell-checks the reconstructed text -- I've been thinking about
doing so for some weeks and the recent chatter on TeXhax may be the
impetus I need! :-)

   The post-dvi scheme has the advantage (from a typesetting company's point
of view) of checking what will actually be printed in the journal.

Points to note are: 1) Reconstructing accented letters needs care -
if the spelling checker accepts 8-bit character sets (we use ISO)
it would be nice for the reconstructed text to be eight-bit too;

2) You have to insert \special's in your source for every line of
input! (if you want good interactive correcting) - this means (I think)
redefining M to do its normal action and
count lines as well.

3) Ditto for \input'ed files; could probably be done by redefining
\input and \endinput.

4) Words automatically hyphenated will need to be reconstructed:
Because we cannot do anything with the automatically inserted hyphens,
I think we have to redefine - -- --- (and \discretionary?) so that
they are flagged by specials; any other -'s in the dvi file will
then be assumed to be removable.

This scheme sounds more complicated than a simple detexer, but I
suspect in practice it will merely be ten extra lines of tex macros.

Graham Toal (gtoal%ed.ac.uk@earn-relay)

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95                  metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.0
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c                 dvipage   3.0
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest