[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V89 #19

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (03/28/89)

TeXhax Digest    Friday,  March 3, 1989  Volume 89 : Issue 19

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

                       Style file for usenix conferences
                             How to get the TeX tapes?
                  DVI file previewer available for DEC RAINBOW PCs
                               SBTeX for MS-DOS PCs
                         PostScript and paper type "note"
                      TeX Driver For HP LaserJet II Needed
              Needed: Information about using XEROX 4045 printer for TeX
                                Re: Bug in LaTeX
                Needed: a version of dvipage that uses gf or pk fonts
                     Help needed with METAFONT and 118dpi fonts
                       Re: Problems with TeX fonts & Sun 386i
                    Obtaining boldface greek symbols in math mode
              Looking for tangle/weave that handles C code in WEB files.
                          TeX or LaTeX for AMS Abstracts
                         Does anyone have a \everyparend ?
                            Answers to RNOtoTeX problems
                        Needed: Help with \specials and LaTeX
                  Re: Conflicting settings for \strutbox in LaTeX
                              Spell Checking with TeX

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 16:31:56 EST
From: steiner@topaz.rutgers.edu (Dave Steiner)
Subject: Style file for usenix conferences

One of our people here at Rutgers was writing a paper for one of the
Usenix conferences and needed a latex style for Usenix proceedings.
After looking around and not finding anything I created my own.

It seems to work fine, at least for his paper.  I'm suprised that no
one else has come up with this before now.  Anybody out there done
something like this?

If not, this would probably be useful to include into the style
collection at clarkson.  I would probably like to make sure this is ok
with the usenix people first.  I'm not sure who to contact there,
anybody know?

ds

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 17:23 GMT
From: "Goncal Badenes. C.N.M. Barcelona (SPAIN)"
<ICNM2%ccuab1.uab.es@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: How to get the TeX tapes?

Hello!

I would like to know what steps do I have to follow in order to obtain
a TeX, Metafont, BibTeX and related software official tape (from Stanford?)
for our new VAX 8800 running VMS.

If anyone has this information please tell me.

Thanks,

        Goncal

Goncal Badenes
Centre Nacional de Microelectronica
Campus Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
08193 BELLATERRA, Barcelona
SPAIN

Bitnet/EARN: ICNM2@EBCCUAB1.BITNET
             ICNM2@CCUAB1.UAB.ES
             ICNM2%CCUAB1.UAB.ES@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 12:03 EST
From: "James A. O'Brien (203) 432-4382" <OBRIEN%OBRIEN@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: DVI file previewer available for DEC RAINBOW PCs

RBDVI is a TeX previewer for the DEC Rainbow family of computers.  It is
a Rainbow version of the CDVI 2.x family for IBM computers, marketed by
SullivanSFT (see address below).  As far as I know, it's the only program
which will display .DVI files on a Rainbow.

RBDVI is FAST - the first page appears about 5 seconds after the program
is run, and the screen is repainted on scrolling in less than a second.
It supports full horizontal and vertical scrolling using the Rainbow keys
(Code Blue is not necessary), and the screen colors may be set both permanently
and temporarily from within the program.  RBDVI runs on any Rainbow with
at least 256k.  Since it uses only fonts contained internally in RBDVI.EXE,
it doesn't require any other fonts to be available.  It has a sophisticated
font substitution algorithm, so that documents with very unusual fonts can be
viewed (although the unusual characters won't appear).  Utilities are supplied
for customizing the screen colors etc., and for building in font substitution
information for new fonts.  Since RBDVI supports all of the fonts used in
current versions of TeX and LaTeX, font substitution will not often be an
issue.  RBDVI is fully compatible with the Turbow-286 board from Suitable
Solutions.

Many of you run TeX on mainframes or workstations, and also have Rainbows.
Using RBDVI and SBTeX (see below for an announcement about SBTeX that was
sent to INFO-DEC-MICRO last year) you can take a TeX document to its final
stages locally on the Rainbow, and upload it only for final printing.  Note
that SBTeX is also available from the public domain software library of
the Washington Area Rainbow Users Group (WARUG) - see the next issue of
Rainbow News (the Journal of the International Rainbow Users Group)
for details.  Also in the latter will be an overview of RBDVI.

[For those of you who don't see Rainbow News,
RBDVI 1.0 is available for $59.95 ($49.95 for IRUG members) from
SullivanSFT, PO Box 292431, Lewisville, Texas 75029, U.S.A.  Site licenses
and multiple-copy pricing information is available from the same address.]

			      	Jim O'Brien  03/01/89

Disclaimer:  I'm not impartial since I had a hand in the development of
             RBDVI.

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 12:03 EST
From: "James A. O'Brien (203) 432-4382" <OBRIEN%OBRIEN@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: SBTeX for MS-DOS PCs

A public domain implementation of TeX V2.93 is now available for anonymous
FTP from VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU.  The file is in the default directory on
login and is called SBTEX.ARC.  It was archived using PKPAK V3.61.  The
archive is 651 521k blocks (i.e. 326 kbytes) in size.  [Note that SBTEX
is also available on SIMTEL20]

This implementation was developed by Wayne G. Sullivan of the Department
of Mathematics at University College Dublin in Ireland using Turbo Pascal
V4.0.  The archive contains enough to build a working PLAIN TeX on any MS-DOS
PC with at least 512k of memory (although 640k or more is much better e.g.
DEC Rainbows have 896k).  Included are TEX.EXE, INITEX.EXE, the PLAIN format,
and TFMs for the 16 basic CM fonts in the PLAIN format.  Full details on
installation are contained in SBTEX.DOC in the archive, and an INSTAL.BAT
file is provided.

SBTeX has already gone through extensive testing both at UCD and at Yale,
and is believed to be relatively bug-free.  It has been verified to run
on PC hardware as well as on a DEC Rainbow.  It should run on any 80x86/8
processor machine which runs MS-DOS.  Reports of any bugs should be
addressed to the author, Wayne G. Sullivan, WSULIVAN@IRLEARN.BITNET
(note only one "L" in the ID).

                               11/15/88
                               Jim O'Brien
			       Department of Chemical Engineering
			       Yale University
			       OBRIEN%OBRIEN@YALEVMS		   BITNET
			       OBRIEN%OBRIEN@VENUS.YCC.YALE.EDU   Internet

Date: Wed 1 Mar 89 09:31:28-MST
From: "Nelson H.F. Beebe" <Beebe@SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU>
Subject: PostScript and paper type "note"

In TeXhax89.11, John S. Karabaic <fuzzy%aruba.dnet@wpafb-avlab.arpa>
asks about problems with paper type "note" being
unrecognized on the DEC LN03 ScriptWriter.  I was unable to
get mail to him directly, and it seems that this problem is
of sufficient interest to rate a TeXhax posting.

Most PostScript printers, other than the Apple LaserWriter,
fail to recognize paper type "note".  On the ALW, its use is
highly desirable to recover over 100Kb of the extremely
limited virtual memory on that printer.  The correct way to
deal with this is to use conditionals to select the use of
that paper type; here is a fragment from my dvialw.ps that
can be modified to solve the problem.

% BOJ -- beginning of job (EOF ends it and closes TeXdict)
% Usage -- BOJ
/BOJ
{
  72 Resolution div 72 Resolution div scale
  userdict /note known
  {NOTE}				% default page format for ALW
  {userdict /letter known
  {LETTER}				% default page format for others
  {Mtrx currentmatrix pop} ifelse}	% if letter unknown, use current
  ifelse
} bdf

In more conventional computer language this says:

	if (symbol "note" is found in dictionary "userdict") then
	    (select paper type "note" by executing the NOTE macro)
	else if (symbol "letter" is found in dictionary "userdict") then
	    (select paper type "letter" by executing the LETTER macro)
	else
	    (use the current (default) paper type)

Date: Thu, 23 Feb 89 19:56:19 PST
From: zar@XHMEIA.Caltech.Edu (Daniel M. Zirin)
Subject:  TeX Driver For HP LaserJet II Needed

We have tried N. Beebe's HP drivers with poor results (fonts aren't loaded
properly). Does anyone have TeX working w/HPLaserJet II? Send me mail
directly and I'll post responces....Thanks in advance

The Great Zar
Security Pacific International Bank
ZAR@XHMEIA.CALTECH.EDU
ZAR@CITCHEM

Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 89 15:19 EST
From: <GEORGAKA%MSUNSCL.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Needed: Information about using XEROX 4045 printer for TeX

   We are thinking of upgrading a Xerox 4045 to Model 50 with
 1.5 Mbytes of memory and we are planning to use it to output TeX.
 Is anyone using such a printer for TeX? Please, send any info that
 you may have.
   If you are using such a printer, how do you handle loading and
 unloading fonts from disc? (We are using a Talaris for TeX and
 they provided us with a program that does the loading and unloading
 of the fonts transparent to the user. Is there anything like that
 for XEROX printers?).

                       Thank you for any info
                               Sotiris Georgakas

                               georgaka@msunscl

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 08:37:05 PST
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: Bug in LaTeX

In a message to me, Peter F. Patel-Schneider reports

   When switching to viiipt or to ixpt, a space is introduced.  The problem
   comes from a missing % after the definition of \psc in these two sizes
   in lfonts.tex.

This bug was introduced by someone else.  The lfonts.tex file on
score.stanford.edu uses the amcsc font, with a comment after the
definition of \psc indicating that this is a kludge that needs to be
fixed.  (It was introduced because I didn't have the necessary pxl
files at that time.)  Apparently, whoever fixed it removed the "%" as
well as the comment.  Would whoever did this please correct the version
of lfonts.tex that you are distributing.  Meanwhile, I will check whether
we now have the relevant fonts and change lfonts.tex if we do.

Thanks,

Leslie Lamport

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 89 18:41:44 EST
From: Charlie Martin <crm@cs.duke.edu>
Subject: Needed: a version of dvipage that uses gf or pk fonts

Does anyone know of a version of dvipage which is capable of using gf or
pk fonts?

By the way -- at least for color Suns, dvipage is awfully nice!  A little
slow, even with 68881 support, but the only one that produces readable,
pleasant output.

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 05:00 EDT
From: Paul Davis <davis%scrsu1.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Help needed with METAFONT and 118dpi fonts

Can someone tell me how to generate the complete set of LaTeX fonts
at 118dpi ? PLEASE !

thanks
Paul

                             Paul Davis at Schlumberger Cambridge Research
                                <davis%scrsu1%sdr.slb.com@relay.cs.net>

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 14:44:52 GMT
From: Peter Ilieve <mcvax!memex.co.uk!peter@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Re: Problems with TeX fonts & Sun 386i

David Huenemoerder (dph@astro.psu.edu) mentions some problems with the
Sun 386i, including:

> 1) I have successfully compiled initex and virtex on a Sun 386i.
>    I need some fonts, however.  The fonts are apparently byte-swapped.
>    Dvipage shows something almost readable when sampled, but unreadable
>    when unsampled.  Anyone have a solution to this problem?

The problem is not in the fonts, which are byte-order independent
by definition.

The problem is almost certainly due to the fact that the pixrect structure
that Sun defines has the byte-order of the underlying machine, so 386i
pixrects <> Sun 3 (680x0) pixrects. Somewhere in dvipage there is probably
a place where 16 bit shorts are copied from a pk file into a pixrect;
this worked for 680x0 pixrects but will not work for the 386i.
Sun provide a function (pr_flip()) to swap the byte order of a pixrect
but beware, if a new pixrect is created on the 386i (with mem_create())
to put the pk font data into it is marked by a flag (MP_I386) as being
of 386i byte-order even though it is empty and pr_flip() will not flip it.
Either change the filling of the pixrect so it doesn't use shorts or
reset the MP_I386 flag and use pr_flip().

Solving this problem will make  David's other problem getting Metafont
running less pressing.

	Peter Ilieve		peter@memex.co.uk

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 89 22:00:41 PST
From: mackay (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: Obtaining boldface greek symbols in math mode

I agree with everything Joachim Schrod says about the overuse of
boldface.  It must be used very sparingly in text.  But I doubt that
that was the intention of the person who asked for bold-face Greek
symbols.  Apparently physicists make use of boldface to mean certain
things that the rest of us don't need to think about.  I suppose, in
that case, we must permit them to do so.

Joachim Schrod's guidance covers the use of these fonts in an entirely
bold-faced math environment.  Heaven forbid.  I assume that the people
who need these fonts will only need them for occasional symbolic
references rather than as an entire font family.

If such fonts are going to be used over and over again, I still
suggest that a private "platex.fmt" file with a modified lfonts.tex is
probably the best idea.  It provides the boldface symbols in fonts
with names consistent with the remainder of LaTeX.  Going the next
step and actually incorporating the boldface versions into the general
font size change macros of lfonts.tex is more drastic, but if a user
wishes to remain at arms length from any consideration of actual point
size, and have the characters appear in the correct sizes under
\large, \Large and \LARGE specifications, then the more extensive
modifications are needed.  It depends on the extent to which the fonts
will be used.  If they are rarely used, then the specification of
{\tenmib\gamma} will probably do, even though it requires the user to
know what LaTeX thinks the correct size is at the moment.  If they are
used a lot, then a modification of lfonts.tex and a special
compilation of ?latex.fmt is probably worth it.

TeX offers a flexibility that is not available with shrink-wrapped
software, but you can't enjoy that flexibility unless you are willing
to use it.  I spent far too many months over the past year adjusting
sizes of the METAFONT logo font for use in making slides with slitex.
Lately I have been using a modified sfonts.tex with the logo fonts
added to the font families.  It is a winner.  I should have done it
long ago.

Email:  mackay@cs.washington.edu		Pierre A. MacKay
Smail:  Northwest Computing Support Center	TUG Site Coordinator for
	Lewis Hall, Mail Stop DW10		Unix-flavored TeX
	University of Washington
	Seattle, WA 98195
	(206) 543-6259

Date: Fri, 24 Feb 89 14:02:57 EST
From: Dave Mason <rutgers!csri.toronto.edu!utai!csri.toronto.edu!tmsoft!mason@beaver>
Subject: Looking for tangle/weave that handles C code in WEB files.

I have web2c, but I have a C project that I want to use a web-like
system, and I DON'T want to write in Pascal & hope that I can get the
tangle->web2c programs to generate the right C code.  Several of the
things that I need to do in the C code involve things (like arrays of
pointers to functions) have no Pascal analogues.

I understand that there is a C/troff program (called ?cweb? I think)
but I don't have troff & really prefer TeX.  If cweb is available (anon
ftp), it might be an easier place to start than from web.  Please no
flames about troff vs. TeX.

%%% Moderator's note: Silvio Levy's CWEB (for TeX documentation)
%%% sounds like just what you need.  It is part of the Unix TeX
%%% distribution, and can also be got direct from princeton.edu

Thanks	../Dave

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 89 17:32:59 -0600
From: Jay H Beder <beder@csd4.milw.wisc.edu>
Subject: TeX or LaTeX for AMS Abstracts

What are the appropriate LaTeX (or TeX) commands to make a document conform to
the American Mathematical Society's abstract form?  If this is not known to
you, I can mail you a copy (or you can get one from your local Math Dept).
Thank you.

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 89 15:55 EDT
From: Paul Davis <davis%scrsu1.sdr.slb.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Does anyone have a \everyparend ?

has anyone come up with an \everyparend macro, which would be like
\everypar, but is called (effectively) at the end of every paragraph ?

The utility of such a macro is inestimable to me right now ...

thanks for reading,

Date: 2-MAR-1989 16:42:00 GMT
From: CHAA006%vaxb.rhbnc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Answers to RNOtoTeX problems

Paul ????? [pla@uk.ac.ed.cs.tardis] asked

>>>I picked up the rnototex.ini that Phil supplied - rnototex finds it, reads
>>>it, complains it doesn't understand it, and refuses to translate anything
>>>other than the section heads.  I repeat my question of last week - What's gone
>>>wrong?   Let me add another question this week - how do I fix it?

So far as I could see, the only problem with RNOtoTeX.Ini was a spurious
blank record at the end.  I have edited this out --- see if that helps.

					** Phil.

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 10:38:09 CST
From: anita@astro.as.utexas.edu (Anita Cochran)
Subject: Needed: Help with \specials and LaTeX

I am interested in including figures produced by a plotting program
in a LaTeX document.  The plot program can produce output for a
laserwriter (in postscript) and it is possible to save the postscript
commands to a file.  Normally, the plot program would control
the positioning on the page.

Now, in the past, I would have used the following series of LaTeX commands:
   \begin{figure}
   \vspace{3in}
   \caption{Blah Blah}
   \end{figure}
and then would have cut and paste the figure in.  I would like to have
it so I can merge the files electronically and have the page printed
completely.  I understand that one uses the \special command (we use
dvi2ps for a driver and I know the form of the special command).
My question is, how do I control the positioning?  I cannot know, a priori,
where on the page the figure environment is going to put the figure
so even if I can tell my plot program exactly where on the page to put
the figure, I won't know where to put it.

Obviously, I am missing something.  How about someone giving a tutorial
on the use of specials for placing figures in a text?  PLEASE?

 Anita Cochran  uucp:  {noao, ut-sally, ut-emx}!utastro!anita
                arpa:  anita@astro.as.utexas.edu
                snail: Astronomy Dept., The Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX, 78712
                at&t:  (512) 471-1471

Date: Tue, 28 Feb 89 09:03:14 PST
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: Conflicting settings for \strutbox in LaTeX

Thanks for the observation.  The first setting of \strutbox is, indeed,
useless and should probably be removed.

   What is the "right" definition of \strutbox?  (I vote that it be set
   according to the unstretched \baselineskip so that it tracks the point
   size but in independent of \baselinestretch...

I think that the current setting is the right one.  The \strut command
is used to simulate a \baselineskip space in places where TeX refuses
to put one in, so it seems appropriate to key it to the actual
\baselineskip.  If someone wants a dimension that depends on the point
size, they can do something like

   {\rm\global\foo=1em}

Anyway, it's a minor point.  The only valid use of \baselinestrecth
that I know of is to produce wide spacing for copy editing--in which
case, the small differences introduced by struts are irrelevant.

Leslie Lamport

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 89 21:12 +1000
From: Douglas Miller <munnari!csv.viccol.edu.au!DOUGCC@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Spell Checking with TeX

In digest #10 Jim Walker asked for a VAX program to strip LaTeX commands from a
document so it can be run though a spelling checker.  The following VAXTPU
procedure defines an EVE command TEX STRIP that should do the trick.

   PROCEDURE eve_tex_strip
   LOCAL r, alphabet ;
   alphabet := "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" ;
   eve_top ;
   LOOP
      r := SEARCH_QUIETLY
         ('\'+(NOTANY(alphabet)|span(alphabet)), FORWARD, NO_EXACT) ;
      EXITIF r = 0 ;
      erase (r) ;
      ENDLOOP ;
   ENDPROCEDURE ;

Conversely, Joachim Schambach asked for a spelling checker that can be applied
to LaTeX source directly.  We use a pretty good VMS program called SPELL from
Vassar College that recognises and ignores TeX (and RUNOFF and SCRIBE)
commands.  We got it from a DECUS tape --- I haven't been able track down which
one, but my latest DECUS Library catalogue seems to imply that you can get it
on tape V-SP-49.

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95 (2.98 coming)    metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.7
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c                 dvipage   3.0
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest