[comp.text] Wanted: two pages on one with TeX

tolboel@iesd.dk (Morten Tolboel) (03/29/89)

Wanted: two pages on one with TeX......

Does anyone know of a printerdriver for TeX that can output
two pages of TeX on one piece of paper (Post Script laser-writer).

Instead of writing two pages (of preliminary stuff) on the
laser-writer and then zoom it on a xerox-mashine it would save
LOTS of printed pages on the laser-writer if such a printerdriver
existed. Of course.... the TeX-fonts would have to be compiled
at half-size !?

-------------------------------------!--------------------------
Kind regards                         ! JUB TVJOJA MAJD
Morten Tolboel                       ! all you ruskies !
Institute of electronic systems      !
University of Aalborg                !      \-/\-/
Denmark (not a suburb of Sweden!)    !      < F3 >
                                     !      /-\/-\
Mail: tolboel.iesd.dk                !
  or  tolboel.iesd.uucp              ! PRO REGE ET GREGE
  or  {...}!mcvax!dkuug!iesd!tolboel !
-------------------------------------!--------------------------

langdon@lll-lcc.UUCP (Bruce Langdon) (03/29/89)

In article <1577@iesd.dk>, tolboel@iesd.dk (Morten Tolboel) writes:

> Wanted: two pages on one with TeX......
>
> Does anyone know of a printerdriver for TeX that can output
> two pages of TeX on one piece of paper (Post Script laser-writer).

We do this routinely with ArborText's dvips.  You do have to read the
manual to discover this option.  My shell script lets users type just
"ptex -2r <file>" to get this.

> Of course.... the TeX-fonts would have to be compiled at half-size !?

!? I didn't. dvips handles the scaling, but complains repeatedly about
the resulting imperfections. We don't complain about the compact output.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  14363%f@nmfecc.arpa
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon

urban@spp2.uucp (Michael Urban) (03/31/89)

In article <1577@iesd.dk>, tolboel@iesd.dk (Morten Tolboel) writes:

> Wanted: two pages on one with TeX......
> Of course.... the TeX-fonts would have to be compiled at half-size !?

As Bruce Langdon pointed out, a sufficiently clever PostScript
DVI processor can cause the page to be scaled however you like.

To clarify one point, when you print pages two-up on 8.5x11-inch
paper, you are not scaling the font by half; half-scale fonts would be
useful for printing four-up.  Instead, you want to scale by a factor
of 5.5/8.5.  The resulting page images cannot quite visually represent
a full page, however, since the proportions of a half-page are
different from those of a full page.  The result is that the vertical
(typically bottom) margin of the half-page image will be
proportionally larger than that of a full page.  Or you can make the
vertical margin correct but make the horizontal margin narrower, by
using a different scaling factor.

Consequently, if you intend that the two-up pages be visually correct,
rather than merely useful as compact `preview' copy, you must adjust
your margins in your TeX source code to account for all of this.  If
you intend that the text appear at full size (e.g., 10 truept),
further magnification issues may come into play.

European DIN A- and B- series paper (such as A4 paper) has a useful
proportion of \sqrt{2}:1, so that when folded in half, the proportions
remain the same (and produce the next standard sheet in the series; A5
is A4 folded in half).  An enviable situation.

   Mike Urban
	...!trwspp!spp2!urban

"You're in a maze of twisty UUCP connections, all alike"

smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (J. Daniel Smith) (04/01/89)

In article <1707@spp2.UUCP> urban@spp2.UUCP (Michael Urban) writes:
>In article <1577@iesd.dk>, tolboel@iesd.dk (Morten Tolboel) writes:
>>
>> Wanted: two pages on one with TeX......
>> Of course.... the TeX-fonts would have to be compiled at half-size !?
>As Bruce Langdon pointed out, a sufficiently clever PostScript
>DVI processor can cause the page to be scaled however you like.
Is there such a "sufficiently clever PostScript DVI processor" that
runs on UNIX machines available?  If so, where?   What other features
such as \specials for PostScript files and support of resident
PostScript fonts does it have?

Since I read this newsgroup frequently and this is probably of
interest to many others, please post responses.

Thanks for any and all info.
                  Dan

J. Daniel Smith                      Internet: smithda@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu
Michigan State University              BITNET: smithdan@msuegr

What we have to learn to do we learn by doing.
            - Aristotle

dougcc@csv.viccol.edu.au (Douglas Miller) (04/04/89)

In article <1707@spp2.UUCP>, urban@spp2.uucp (Michael Urban) writes:
> To clarify one point, when you print pages two-up on 8.5x11-inch
> paper, ...
> The resulting page images cannot quite visually represent
> a full page, however, since the proportions of a half-page are
> different from those of a full page.

(snigger)

> European DIN A- and B- series paper (such as A4 paper) has a useful
> proportion of \sqrt{2}:1, so that when folded in half, the proportions
> remain the same (and produce the next standard sheet in the series; A5
> is A4 folded in half).  An enviable situation.

Why envy?  Use A4!  Everybody else does!!