[comp.text] Dropped Caps

dcarson@cisunx.UUCP (David Carson) (04/04/89)

I use plain TeX and I have written a macro to produce what I call
"dropped caps"; i.e., the first letter of a major paragraph starts with
an enormous letter which drops down into the first 4 or 5 lines like so:

	_______
	   |    his is the first line and...
	   |    this is the second and...
	   |    this is the third and so on...

That's the basic idea.  My problem is that I would like to continue using the
Computer Modern family of fonts, but need a font to serve as the enormous
first letter.  I wrote the macro and tested it using Adobe fonts, which I
could scale to any size I wanted.   However, I didn't like the less than
perfect result of the magnification--jagged edges that were quite noticable.
Besides, I don't really want to mix an Adobe font with the CM ones, and don't
want to use an Adobe font for the entire text.

My question is: Is "cminch" the font I ought to use, since it is presumably in
the CM family?  If so, could someone please direct me to a .gf or .pk file
that I can ftp.  (I have access to cminch.mf, but METAFONT couldn't seem to
handle the memory required??  I also have the .tfm file--just need the bitmap
info.)

If "cminch" is not what I need, what is?  (I've never seen what cminch looks
like, so I don't know how it blends with the others.)

If someone has another solution to doing dropped caps that involves fonts that
are readily available, please run this one by me as well.

Thanks in advance,
David Carson

(Mail me, or post, whichever you please.)
Internet:dcarson@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu
BITNet:dcarson@PITTVMS

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (04/05/89)

I don't think cminch font is suitable for this purpose.  What you
should do is use Metafont to generate a new font say cmr17 at
either magstep2 or magstep3 and use that as the dropped letter.
I remember reading about a dropped cap macro in one of the TeXhax
digests last year or maybe earlier (time flies when you're a grad
student ;-) which is probably in the latex-style archives at clarkson.
Maybe you should check that to see what font was used.

Atul Kacker
akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

gae@sphere.mast.ohio-state.edu (Gerald Edgar) (04/05/89)

In article <17293@cisunx.UUCP> dcarson@cisunx.UUCP (David  Carson) writes:

>If "cminch" is not what I need, what is?  (I've never seen what cminch looks
>like, so I don't know how it blends with the others.)

Look on the page facing page 1 of the TeXBook.  The large "1" is in cminch.
It is (gues what) one inch high.  If that is too big for your purposes,
you might try cmssbx10 at magstep 4 or so.  You can also see that on the
same page.

--
  Gerald A. Edgar
  Department of Mathematics                     TS1871@OHSTVMA.bitnet