[comp.text] TeX the Program the Book vs TeX the program

woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) (04/14/89)

Just out of curiousity, since I was looking at TeX book B,
the program, I wondered how out of date it was.

Does anyone know how many patches it would take to go
from the published book to current releases?

	woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (04/17/89)

In article <10358@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> woolstar@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (John D Woolverton) writes:
>Just out of curiousity, since I was looking at TeX book B,
>the program, I wondered how out of date it was.
>
>Does anyone know how many patches it would take to go
>from the published book to current releases?
>
>	woolstar@csvax.caltech.edu

I don't know why you'd want to do this but...

The current version of TeX is version 2.98. Most likely, your copy lists
version 2.0. Only a few minor changes account for the 17 or so bug fixes
(some of which are fixes to fixes) and they are listed in the file TEX.BUG
which may be FTP'd from score.stanford.edu.

If you're trying to understand what's going on in TeX, your book will be
quite sufficient as it stands. Likewise if you're going to do some hacking
on TeX.

If you REALLY want an up-to-date listing, you can FTP the source from
score and run it through WEAVE and TeX to get the 500 page listing, but
you won't have neat things like the mini-indexes on each page and memory
diagram at the end.

-dh