[comp.text] Where can I get style sheet for producing a UNIX man page

news@oberon.USC.EDU (USENET News) (04/06/89)

I think I remember reading that someone had a LaTeX style sheet that
could produce a UNIX man page, but my recollection is a little hazy.
If anyone has such a beast would you please e-mail it to me, or tell
me where I can ftp it?

Thanks

Daniel
dwu@castor.usc.edu
	Daniel Wu		ARPA: dwu@castor.usc.edu
				UUCP: ? dwu@castor.UUCP ?
	I'm not very familiar with the backbone sites this
	machine's connected to.  Somebody, please send me
	a diagram of major gateways.

dave@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dave Stuit) (04/16/89)

In article <16344@oberon.USC.EDU> dwu@girtab.usc.edu (Daniel Wu) writes:
>I think I remember reading that someone had a LaTeX style sheet that
>could produce a UNIX man page, but my recollection is a little hazy.

My question for the net:  Why typeset UNIX man pages in TeX?  UNIX man pages
are formatted in *roff format because (1) nroff is universally available
(and some variation of troff usually is available on systems with the
appropriate output devices), and (2) *roff format allows straight ASCII text
(online man pages) and typeset documents (printed man pages) to be produced
from the same input file.  The whole UNIX online manual facility is built
around *roff-formatted pages.

--
Dave Stuit
dave@jarthur.claremont.edu  OR  dave@jarthur.uucp  OR  uunet!jarthur!dave

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (04/17/89)

In article <870@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dave@jarthur.UUCP (Dave Stuit) writes:
>In article <16344@oberon.USC.EDU> dwu@girtab.usc.edu (Daniel Wu) writes:
>>I think I remember reading that someone had a LaTeX style sheet that
>>could produce a UNIX man page, but my recollection is a little hazy.
>
>My question for the net:  Why typeset UNIX man pages in TeX?  UNIX man pages
>are formatted in *roff format because (1) nroff is universally available
>(and some variation of troff usually is available on systems with the
>appropriate output devices), and (2) *roff format allows straight ASCII text
>(online man pages) and typeset documents (printed man pages) to be produced
>from the same input file.  The whole UNIX online manual facility is built
>around *roff-formatted pages.

I think the above-mentioned style is available from Clarkson. What it does
is produce printed output (NOT on-line documentation) in a format similar to
that used by man pages.

Now for Dave's question: why format man pages in TeX? Well suppose one
decides to create a set of documentation for one's system (including docs
for things like the Beebe DVI drivers and similar type things). Now since
the bulk of the documentation is in this n/troff stuff (didn't you see
the note which said that it was obsolete? :-)) and you've created man
pages for that, you may decide to use the man page format for all your
documentation, just so that everything is reasonably consistent.

Now, if you were to look into it, the Beebe driver package has some 300-400
pages of documentation in LaTeX format. Converting it would be one heck of
a chore. Changing \documentstyle{article} to \documentstyle{manpage} would
not (BTW that name was purely conjectural. I don't know anything about
the style option myself).

Furthermore, while nroff may be pretty universal on Unix systems, it is
non-existent elsewhere. On the other hand, TeX is available for any
computer more powerful than a Commodore 64 from IBM PC's to Cray super-
computers. And usually for free or damned close to it. If you run a
multi-system shop (say, Unix and VMS) TeX is a way to allow the documentation
to be run off on any of the systems.

And if you want to produce on-line docs from TeX (actually a subset of LaTeX)
input, there's the Free Software Foundation's TeXinfo project which does
a creditable job (or so I hear. I miss out on a lot of stuff being a CMS
junkie).

-dh

iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) (04/21/89)

In article <870@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dave@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Dave Stuit) writes:

>   My question for the net:  Why typeset UNIX man pages in TeX?  UNIX man pages
>   are formatted in *roff format because (1) nroff is universally available
>   (and some variation of troff usually is available on systems with the
>   appropriate output devices), and (2) *roff format allows straight ASCII text
>   (online man pages) and typeset documents (printed man pages) to be produced
>   from the same input file.  The whole UNIX online manual facility is built
>   around *roff-formatted pages.

nroff is not portable -- you have to have a Unix system, and troff seems tied
to certain devices, I know about ditroff, but you have to pay for it.
There are three TeX to ascii converters that I know of (dvidoc, dvitty and
crudetype), and of course tr2tex to convert your manual pages to TeX :-)
--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: uunet!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   We don't need no documentation,
 Imperial College.         We don't need no source control,
 180 Queensgate            No dark sarcasm in the boardroom,
 London SW7 UK.            Manager! leave those programmers alone!

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (04/21/89)

In article <1507@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:
}
}There are three TeX to ascii converters that I know of (dvidoc, dvitty and
}crudetype), and of course tr2tex to convert your manual pages to TeX :-)

Notice though, dvitty doesn't even *try* to produce plausible ascii
output.  Dvidoc has some brokenness inside it which gets all distances
screwed up [and so everything that uses "lengths" come out wrong (such
things as the indenting for lists and such)  --- I took a fling at
figuring out how to fix that, but it was too complicated for me to sort
out quickly], and crudetype hasn't shown up anywhere stateside yet, far
as I can tell [there was a mention of texhax of its appearing in the
archives at cs.washington.edu, but it never arrived].  SO... for all
practical purposes, I think there is *NO* useable nroff-like variant of
TeX/LaTeX available just yet...

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

langdon@lll-lcc.UUCP (Bruce Langdon) (04/23/89)

In article <38942@bbn.COM>, cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) writes:
> In article <1507@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU> iwm@doc.ic.ac.uk (Ian Moor) writes:
> }
> }There are three TeX to ascii converters that I know of (dvidoc, dvitty and
> }crudetype), ......
>
> .....  Dvidoc has some brokenness inside it which gets all distances
> screwed up [and so everything that uses "lengths" come out wrong ...
> ..... I took a fling at figuring out how to fix that, but it was too
> complicated for me to sort out quickly], ........ SO... for all
> practical purposes, I think there is *NO* useable nroff-like variant of
> TeX/LaTeX available just yet...

Take a look at the example in dvidoc.shar3 before you say that again.
I DID take time with it, and I see no evidence that dvidoc itself is
broken.  But the dvi file you feed it WILL be broken if TeX isn't given
values for vertical and horizontal spacings that correspond to monospace
reality. Nothing dvidoc can do to repair that later. So I redefined them
as needed; see dvidoc.shar3. Dvidoc's output is then fine, for me, so far.
This was with plain TeX.  We do need a volunteer to make a .sty file
to do the same for LaTeX.
	Bruce Langdon  L-472                langdon@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
	Physics Department                  14363%f@nmfecc.llnl.gov
	Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
	Livermore, CA 94550                 (415) 422-5444
UUCP: ..{qantel,ucdavis,pyramid,harvard,topaz}!lll-lcc!langdon