Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 16:37:20 EST
From: Joachim Schambach <JSCHAMBA%KENTVM.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Metafont problems

Here is an output i got from metafont running under VMS. I know almost
nothing about Metafont and didn't intent to learn it in the near fututre,
so maybe somebody on this list could help me. I am trying to create the
fonts for SliTeX for our HP Laserjet II. At magstep 3 I get the same
output from both cmtt8.mf and icmtt8.mf, and only for magstep 3.
I tried the same fonts with magstep 4, and had no problems.
Is one of my "base" files defective, or what can I do to get these to fonts
to work ?

                                       Jo Schambach
                                       Kent State University, Physics
                                       Kent, Ohio

 Bitnet: Jschamba@kentvm or schambac@kentvms

This is METAFONT, Vax/VMS Version 1.0 (preloaded base=plain 89.3.22)  23 MAR 198
**\mode=imagen;mag=magstep3;input cmtt8
(DUB0:[TEX.CM]CMTT8.MF;2 (DUB0:[TEX.CM]CMBASE.MF;7) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMAN.MF;1
(DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMANU.MF;1 [65] [66] [67] [68] [69] [70] [71] [72] [73] [74]
[75] [76] [77] [78] [79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89]
[90]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMANL.MF;1 [97] [98] [99] [100] [101] [102] [103] [104]
[105] [106] [107] [108] [109] [110] [111] [112] [113] [114] [115] [116]
[117] [118] [119] [120] [121] [122]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]GREEKU.MF;1 [0] [1] [2]
[3]
! bad pos.
<to be read again>
                   ;
pos->...urrentbreadth:errmessage"bad pos";
                                          fi.fi(x(SUFFIX2)r-x(SUFFIX2...
l.97 ...up crisp.nib; pos1(shaved_stem,90)
                                          ; pos2(hair,0);
? s
OK, entering scrollmode...
> 0 ENE 1 NNE 2 (NNW WNW) WSW 3 (WNW NNW) NNE 4 ENE 5 6 (ESE SSE) SSW 0 (SSE ES
E)
! Strange path (turning number is zero).
<to be read again>
                   ;
arm->...--z(SUFFIX4)0--z(SUFFIX3)r--cycle;
                                          else:filldraw.z(SUFFIX2)l--...
l.99 arm(1,2,a,.4beak_darkness,.3beak_jut)
                                          ;  % upper right arm and beak
The path doesn't have a counterclockwise orientation,
so I'll probably have trouble drawing it.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for more help.)

> 0 WSW 1 (WNW NNW) NNE 2 ENE 3 NNE 4 (NNW WNW) WSW 5 6 SSW 0
! Strange path (turning number is zero).
<to be read again>
                   ;
arm->...--z(SUFFIX4)0--z(SUFFIX3)r--cycle;
                                          else:filldraw.z(SUFFIX2)l--...
l.101 ...,3,b,.4beak_darkness,-.3beak_jut)
                                          ;  % upper left arm and beak
The path doesn't have a counterclockwise orientation,
so I'll probably have trouble drawing it.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for more help.)

! bad pos.
<to be read again>
                   ;
pos->...urrentbreadth:errmessage"bad pos";
                                          fi.fi(x(SUFFIX2)r-x(SUFFIX2...
l.102 pos4(shaved_stem,-90)
                           ; pos5(hair,0);
This error message was generated by an `errmessage'
command, so I can't give any explicit help.
Pretend that you're Miss Marple, examine all clues,
and deduce the truth by inspired guesses.

> 0 ENE 1 (ESE SSE) SSW 2 WSW 3 SSW 4 (SSE ESE) ENE 5 6 NNE 0
! Strange path (turning number is zero).
<to be read again>
                   ;
arm->...--z(SUFFIX4)0--z(SUFFIX3)r--cycle;
                                          else:filldraw.z(SUFFIX2)l--...
l.104 ...4,5,c,.4beak_darkness,.3beak_jut)
                                          ;  % lower right arm and beak
The path doesn't have a counterclockwise orientation,
so I'll probably have trouble drawing it.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for more help.)

> 0 WSW 1 SSW 2 (SSE ESE) ENE 3 (ESE SSE) SSW 4 WSW 5 6 (WNW NNW) NNE 0 (NNW WN
W)
! Strange path (turning number is zero).
<to be read again>
                   ;
arm->...--z(SUFFIX4)0--z(SUFFIX3)r--cycle;
                                          else:filldraw.z(SUFFIX2)l--...
l.106 ...,6,d,.4beak_darkness,-.3beak_jut)
                                          ;  % lower left arm and beak
The path doesn't have a counterclockwise orientation,
so I'll probably have trouble drawing it.
(See Chapter 27 of The METAFONTbook for more help.)

! bad pos.
<to be read again>
                   ;
pos->...urrentbreadth:errmessage"bad pos";
                                          fi.fi(x(SUFFIX2)r-x(SUFFIX2...
l.107 pos7(shaved_stem,90)
                          ; pos8(shaved_stem,90);
(That was another `errmessage'.)

! bad pos.
<to be read again>
                   ;
pos->...urrentbreadth:errmessage"bad pos";
                                          fi.fi(x(SUFFIX2)r-x(SUFFIX2...
l.107 ...ed_stem,90); pos8(shaved_stem,90)
                                          ;
(That was another `errmessage'.)

[4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMAND.MF;1 [48] [49] [50] [51]
[52] [53] [54] [55] [56] [57]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMANP.MF;1 [36] [38] [63]
[15]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMSPL.MF;1 [16] [17] [25] [26] [27] [28])
(DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMSPU.MF;1 [29] [30] [31]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]PUNCT.MF;1 [33]
[14] [35] [37] [39] [40] [41] [42] [43] [44] [46] [47] [58] [59] [61] [64]
[91] [93] [96]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ACCENT.MF;1 [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23]
[24] [94] [126] [127]) (DUB0:[TEX.CM]ROMSUB.MF;1 (DUB0:[TEX.CM]SYM.MF;1
[45] [12] [11] [60] [62] [95] [92] [124] [123] [125] [34]) [13] [32])
Here is how much of METAFONT's memory you used:
 388 strings out of 695
 3160 string characters out of 9269
 21673 words of memory out of 30001
 867 symbolic tokens out of 2100
 12i,79n,0r,29p,238b stack positions out of 30i,100n,300r,150p,500b

(You used 2w,16h,12d,1i,2l,0k,0e,7p metric file positions
  out of 256w,16h,16d,64i,300l,256k,256e,50p)

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 04:53:11 PST
From: C43MRP%AVIARY.gm@hac2arpa.hac.com
Subject: Inverting Metafont

Is it possible that given a set of bitmaps for a given printer, and knowing the
variant parameters for that printer, could you reverse the process metafont
goes through to recreate the metafont input for that typeface?

Mark Probert
probert@aviary.gm.hac.com

%%% Moderators' note: Essentially impossible.  What you suggest involves
%%% same problem as recreating plain.tex from a DVI file that has been
%%% produced using plain.tex.  An attempt was made to produce even a
%%% limited, non-parameterized outline mf file from the bitmaps of
%%% the old AMS symbol font, as a stopgap  until the fonts could
%%% be properly recoded.  It was a reasonable start, but to be at all
%%% useful it would have required a great deal of work---work that
%%% would better be expended on writing a new mf file in the correct
%%% way.

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 14:05:29 est
From: munnari!goanna.oz.au!trl@uunet.UU.NET (trevor robert lees)
Subject: TEX drivers for dot matrix printers

I have saved some of the TEX stuff coming accros the net recently
and while it has gained particular interest to people with laser
printer access there are a few that would like to print '.dvi' files
on dot-matrix printers since they are easier to get hold of.

We can purchase them but would prefer to get public domain software
instead.

We are running a variety of DOSTEX and microTEX on pc/at clones
and the majority of printers are epson lx80 / lx800 or IBM pro-printers.

Do you have anything that could be of use to us or perhaps some
contacts which may be able to help???

Any information would be greaty appreciated.

from
  trl%goanna.oz@uunet.uu.net

Date:  Wed, 22 Mar 89 23:14:20 EST
From: montnaro@sprite.ge.com (Skip Montanaro)
Subject: DVI previewer for Tek 401x?

Is there a dvi previewer or postprocessor that generates Tek 4010/4014 output?
I looked in the dvi directory on science.utah.edu but saw nothing obvious
there.

Skip Montanaro (montanaro@sprite.crd.ge.com)

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 20:51:25 CST
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Fonts and TeX

I've printed the PK files for the AMS fonts on our Xerox 8790 printers
here at UIC (this is one of the many "evil" write-white printers)...
while the results may not be "optimum", they are certainly quite
acceptable since the old MF-code is based on the am- fonts which were
a somewhat heavier font than the new cm- fonts are. I've never taken
the time to compare the results of mixing properly tuned cm on a
wb printer with the bitmaps from the AMS with properly tuned cm on
a ww printer with the bitmaps from the AMS, but I almost suspect that
the latter might look a little better!

-dh

         Don Hosek           Internet: U33297@UICVM.UIC.EDU
         3916 Elmwood        Bitnet: U33297@UICVM
         Stickney, IL 60402          DHOSEK@YMIR
         Work: 312-996-0658  UUNet: dhosek@jarthur.claremont.edu

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 16:29:51 -0600
From: solworth@koala.eecs.uic.edu
Subject: Wanted: Curriculum Vitae .sty

	Does anyone have a curriculum vitae style?  I would like to be able
to use it in conjunction with BibTeX to produce in-line references of
publications.  (or does anyone have something just to do the in-line BibTeX
insertion?

Jon Solworth - University of Illinoi, Chicago

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 12:10:39 EST
From: clayton@thumper.bellcore.com (R. Clayton)
Subject: 1988 texhax kwic index

In the vulnerable window that opens between the previous Internet
security crisis and the next, I can make a kwic index for the 1988
issues of texhax available via anonymous ftp.

The index can be found on thumper.bellcore.com [128.96.41.1] in the
file kwic.texhax88 under the pub/tex directory; a compressed version is
available as kwic.texhax88.Z (don't forget to set binary before
copying).  Also available in the file kwic.shar are the shell scripts
I used to generate the index.

Due to a lack of talent and inclination, I'm not going to make these
files available through any other network.  Others are, however,
welcome to do so.

Date: 22 Mar 1989 2214-PST (Wednesday)
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #17

A friend of Tom Schneider wrote

  \newcommand{\exCtrC}{{{\refstepcounter{exmplC}}{\theexmplC}{}}}

and was surprised that

   {\exCtrC} \label{ONE}

caused \ref{ONE} to produce the current section number.

\refstepcounter{foo} increments the indicated counter and declares
foo to be the current counter, to be used by \label commands.
The latter declaration is local, and follows the usual scoping rules.
When "{\exCtrC}" is expanded, the \refstepcounter{exmplC} is enclosed
within three sets of braces, making extra sure that its scope does
not extend to any subsequent \label command.

Leslie Lamport

Date: 21 Mar 89 16:23:49 EST (Tue)
From: lafcol!buyskes@rutgers.edu
Subject: AMSTeX / LaTeX combinations?

	The March Notices of the American Math Society had some
comments about combined versions of AMSTeX and LaTeX.  Specifically,
it indicated that Mike Spivak was writing a sort of macro package
combining the best features of the two, while the AMS has some subset
of the AMSTeX commands implemented as a LaTeX .sty file.  Can anyone
give us a few details (like availability)?

Steve Buyske
buyskes@lafayett.bitnet

Date: Wed, 22 Mar 89 18:06:31 CST
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Problem with tabbing environment
To: TeXhax@Cs.Washington.Edu

I'm attempting to get the following LaTeX code to produce

\begin{tabbing}
\hspace{3in} \= \$1000 \= \kill
Food  \> \' \$100 \\
Lodging \> \' 500 \\
Travel: \> \' 700 \\
\pushtabs
\hspace{2cm}\=Car Rental\= 450 \= \kill
   \> Airfare \> \' 450 \\
   \> Car rental \> \' 220 \\
   \> Taxis \> \' 30 \\
\poptabs
Total: \> \' \$1300 \\
\end{tabbing}

Food                     $100
Lodging                   500
Travel                    700
   Airfare    450
   Car rental 220
   Taxis       30
Total:                  $1300

but I can't seem to get \' to put the text flush right in the columns as
described. Can anybody offer an explanation of this?

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 16:53:36 PST
From: jmr@ucsd.edu (James M. Roberts)
Subject:  Indexes from dvi files

G. Toal suggests (TeXhax v89 #17) using the dvi file for spell
checking.  While that's a distinct possibility, an alternative
is to use a modified version of delatex.lex which can be
compiled under UNIX and DOS (thanks to MKS' "lex" program).
Foreign words can be placed in a macro \foreign which does
nothing in TeX, but is diverted by the lex program.  Of course,
this approach suffers from a lack of portability to other
environments.

I have yet another use for the dvi file.  It's invaluable for
creating indexes---especially VERY LARGE INDEXES---to keywords
from some source text.

If you have a long manuscript, you might want to create a
an index for select key words or even for MOST words in your
text.   Normally it is difficult in TeX to know the page number
on which a word will printed on. (The output routines may
change the page number at the last moment.)

One alternative is to take from the dvi file the words and their
corresponding page numbers.  Marcel Mol's C-version of DVI2TTY
(recently posted on the internet) runs under UNIX as well as DOS
and prints the page number along with the text.

Filtering the output of dvi2tty one can usually construct the original
texts (where it is broken across lines either by - or *).  Special
rules can easily be introduced to handle `---' differently from `-'.
For index purposes words "Beginning With Capitals" can be treated as
a single term (like "Stanford University"). Many other rules can
be suggested, etc. etc. Finally, each word from the text can be
compared with a list of stop words which are eliminated.

Once this has been accomplished, the results can again be piped
through Pehong Chen's excellent program `makeindex'  (which also
runs under DOS) which sorts the index and does a really great job
of producing a 'finished' copy.

In practice what is a key word for one piece of text, or your own
predilection, might be different from another piece of text, or mine.
Thus creating an index of key words becomes an iterative process where
the first time in the process all, or most, words are examined.  Each
iteration more terms are eliminated.  Eliminated words become stop words
in the next iteration....

As this automatic process is only `litteral' and approximate, the index
should be manually fine-tuned.  Consider the following PRINTED output
(written with a parbox of 3in):

     This is a short test of hyphenation.  Some words
     have natural hyphens---anti-American, sister-in-
     law---are well-known examples.  Others  disinte-
     grate, so to speak, at the end of the line.

dvi2tty of the dvi file produces:

This is a short test of hyphenation.  Some words
have natural hyphens|anti-American,  sister-in-
law|are well-known examples.  Others  disinte-
grate, so to speak, at the end of the line.

My key-word filter produces:

                              \begin{theindex}
hyphenation  1          OR    \indexentry{hyphenation}{1}
words  1                      \indexentry{words}{1}
natural  1                    \indexentry{natural}{1}
hyphens  1                    \indexentry{hyphens}{1}
anti-American  1              \indexentry{anti-American}{1}
sister-in-law  1              \indexentry{sister-in-law}{1}
well-known  1                 \indexentry{well-known}{1}
disintegrate  1               \indexentry{disintegrate}{1}
                              \end{theindex}

Either one of these can be piped to SPELL or MAKEINDEX (respectively).
The 1's above indicate that the word appears on page 1; notice also
some stop words were eliminated.  My key-word filter is like most
prototype software: it works well in some particular cases but
lacks generality.  (In particular it doesn't handle plurals, or
possessive nouns, or a variety of verb forms very intelligently.)

I would be interested in hearing from interested individuals about
what rules (punctuation, capitals, numbers, etc etc) they would
include in such a filter or program.  (No, I am not ready to post
the program at this time).

SUMMARY
In short, dvi2tty is an excellent program to start with if you
are going to look at dvi files.  And only a little work is
required to convert its output into something suitable for
SPELL, MAKEINDEX, or something else (?).

James M. Roberts, University of California at San Diego

Internet: jmr@ucsd.edu
Bitnet:   jroberts@ucsd
Phone:    (619) 534-6593

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 89 08:50:57 PST
From: wagman%praxis.hepnet@Csa4.LBL.Gov
Subject: Spelling Checker for TeX

I have a spelling checker on my microVAX, running VMS, which I acquired from
our computer center.  It needs a VT-series terminal, as best as I can
determine, and understands imbedded TeX control sequences.  The description
from the top of the PASCAL program is shown below as well as a list of the
files it uses and their sizes.

Unfortunately, I cannot open my machine to liberal network access and cannot
distribute media.  I doubt that the program's author wants to be contacted
by hundreds of Texxies.  How can we proceed?

Gary Wagman
Lawrence Berkeley Lab
WAGMAN@LBL.GOV or LBL::WAGMAN

Directory              Size

COMMONWRD.DAT;4           3
LEXIC08.DAT;7          1636
LEXIC08.FDL;5             2
LEXIC16.DAT;5          1872
LEXIC16.FDL;6             2
LEXIC32.DAT;8            88
LEXIC32.FDL;3             2
MAIN.SPELL_HELP;1         2
NEWGOOD.TXT;1           204
PERSONAL.SPELL_HELP;1     1
QUIT.SPELL_HELP;1         1
SPELL.CLD;5               1
SPELL.EXE;34             80
SPELL.HLP;1               7
SPELL.PAS;240           141
TOP.SPELL_HELP;1          2
UPDATE.SPELL_HELP;1       1

Total of 17 files, 4045 blocks.

*                                                                            *
*                              SPELL Program                                 *
*                              ***** *******                                 *
*                                                                            *
*  Version:                 2.0                                              *
*                                                                            *
*  Revision Date:           23-MAY-1985                                      *
*                                                                            *
*  Written by:              Mark Resmer - Academic Computer Center Manager   *
*                           Box 248                                          *
*                           Vassar College                                   *
*                           Poughkeepsie                                     *
*                           NY 12601                                         *
*                                                                            *
*                           (914) 452-7000 Ext 2437                          *
*                                                                            *
*                           (RESMER@VASSAR on BITnet or CCnet)               *
*                                                                            *
*  Based on:                PROOFREAD program written by Matthew Temple      *
*                           Smith College, Northampton Mass. His ideas       *
*                           and permission to use them are gratefully        *
*                           acknowledged.                                    *
*                                                                            *
*  Language:		    PASCAL version 3.0                               *
*                                                                            *
*  Operating System:        VMS version 4.1                                  *
*                                                                            *
*  Copyright (C) 1985 Mark Resmer - permission is hereby  granted for the    *
*  reproduction of this software, on condition that this copyright notice    *
*  is included in the reproduction, and that such reproduction is not for    *
*  purposes of profit or material gain.                                      *
*                                                                            *
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95                  metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.0
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c                 dvipage   3.0
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest