Date: Tue, 28 Mar 89 08:48:40 -0600
From: Ralph Johnson <johnson@p.cs.uiuc.edu>
Subject: Kinch Computer Co.-- TeX vendor

Someone in V89 #17 asked about versions of TeX for the PC/AT, and
someone in V89 #19 asked about DVI drivers for LaserJet IIs.  I just
got a "Buyer's Guide" from Kinch Computer Company that offers both
of these things and more.  Kinch supports TeX on PC class machines
and on Unix System V systems.  In addition to all the usual sorts
of drivers and previewers, they offer support for including graphics
from paint programs or scanners in TeX documents, OCR software,
and a TeX-FAX system that lets you use a FAX machine as an output
device, eliminating the jagged edges that usually result with FAX.
The prices are all reasonable and for a little extra you can get
C source.

Although I have never used any of these products, Dick Kinch is a
friend of mine from graduate student days.  He has high standards,
both technically and ethically, so I don't hesitate to recommend him.
The address is Kinch Computer Company, 501 S. Meadow St, Ithaca NY 14850.
Telephone: (607) 273-0222.   FAX (607) 273-0484.

Ralph Johnson -- johnson@cs.uiuc.edu

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 12:56:52 CST
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Needed: information on certain drivers

[Note sent to both TeXhax and inquirer to disseminate knowledge as widely
as possible]

I'm assuming that you are looking for drivers for VAX/VMS for lack of
any identifying information (note to all who see this... PLEASE specify
both the printer and the computer for any driver information requests).

If you hear of anything else or receive additional information on the
drivers listed, please send me whatever information you have.

I'm not familiar with the VT330, so I've listed drivers for both Tektronix
and ReGiS compatible terminals.

dh

 DEC LA75, LP100
  (VAX/VMS)
   University of Utah
    DVIL75 (by John Sauter)
     Uses GF, PK, and PXL files.

  INFN/CNAF
   TXMAPPER, TXREGIS
    DEC ReGIS
     Uses PXL files. Written in FORTRAN. Source Included.

  Kellerman \& Smith, Stanford Tape
   DVItoVDU (by Andrew Trevorrow)
    AED 512, ANSI-compatible, DEC ReGIS, DEC VT100, DEC VT220, Tektronix 4014,
    Visual 500, 550
     Uses PK or PXL files at output device resolution. Written in Modula 2.
     Source Included

  TPSoftware
   TP
    Tektronix 4010/4014 compatible
     Uses special "stick-figure" fonts to display TeX output. Written in
     Fortran. Source Included.
     Distributed on your choice of IBM 5.25" disk, IBM 3.5" disk, Mac 3.5"
     disk, or TK50 cartridge (enclose your own or add $40 to order).
     Cost: $185

INFN/CNAF
 Contact: Maria Luisa Luvisetto
 Postal Address: Via Mazzini 2
                 40138 Bologna, Italy
 Phone: 51-498286
 Bitnet: MiLtex@Iboinfn
 DECnet: <39947::luvisetto>
 Availability: Older versions of the INFN drivers are on the VAX/VMS
               distribution tape. Current versions may be picked up on DECnet/
               Span; for more information on this, send mail to the DECnet
               address: <39947::luvisetto> Transfers are *only* available for
               DECnet/Span users. No tape distribution from INFN/CNAF is
               available.

Kellerman & Smith
 Contact: Barry Smith
 Postal Address: Kellerman & Smith
                 534 SW Third Avenue
                 Portland, OR 97204
 Phone: (503) 222-4234
 Telex: 910-240-4397
 Usenet: tektronix!reed!barry

Stanford VMS distribution tape
 Contact: Maria Code
 Postal Address: Data Processing Services
                 1371 Sydney Drive
                 Sunnyvale CA 94087

TPSoftware
 Contact: Harold T. Stokes
 Postal Address: P.O. Box 922
                 Provo, UT 84603-0922

University of Utah
 Contact: Nelson H.F. Beebe
 Postal Address: Center for Scientific Computing
                 220 South Physics
                 University of Utah
                 Salt Lake City, UT 84112
 Phone: (801) 581-5254
 Internet: Beebe@Science.Utah.EDU
 Availability: All of the Beebe drivers are distributed together. They are
               available on 1600bpi 9-track tape in TOPS-10/20 BACKUP/DUMPER
               format, VAX/VMS BACKUP format, Unix tar format, and ANSI
               D-format. Send a tape plus $100 for a copy. IBM PC floppies
               are available from Personal TeX or Jon Radel.
FTP: The programs are available for anonymous FTP from SCIENCE.UTAH.EDU on the
     internet; information is in the file PS:<ANONYMOUS>00README.TXT. A
     VAX/VMS binary distribution is available for anonymous FTP (password
     guest) from CTRSCI.UTAH.EDU. 00README.TXT in the login directory gives
     details. On JANET, the programs may be obtained from the directory
     aston.kirk::[public.texdvi210]. On DECnet, they are available from the
     DECnet file repository, for more information send mail to the DECnet
     address <39937::luvisetto>.
 Bitnet servers: The drivers are available from Listserv on EARN to European
                 Bitnet users. Sending the command GET DRIVER FILELIST (in an
                 interactive message, or as the first line of a mail message)
                 to LISTSERV@DHDURZ1. Files are obtained with the command GET
                 filename filetype.

         Don Hosek           Internet: U33297@UICVM.UIC.EDU
         3916 Elmwood        Bitnet: U33297@UICVM
         Stickney, IL 60402          DHOSEK@YMIR
         Work: 312-996-0658  UUNet: dhosek@jarthur.claremont.edu

Date: 26 Mar 89 20:08 -0800
From: laura halliday <halliday@cc.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: graphics in TeX

my two cents' worth...TeX does a spectacular job of typesetting
text and mathematical equations. isn't that enough? it doesn't
do the greatest job of drawing pictures, but it was never
intended to. rather than dreaming up extensions to TeX to make
it draw pictures, i would *much* rather see a page layout program
that grokked .dvi files as well as graphics files. leave the
pictures to programs that know how to draw pictures.

we already do this at a primitive level by inserting graphics
with \special and letting our dvi-to-whatever programs fit things
together. of course it's not pure TeX, but so what? i'm not a
purist; i want results.

...laura				halliday@cc.ubc.ca

Date: MON 27 MAR 1989 14:35:00 EST
From: INHB000 <INHB%MCGILLC.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Problem with LaTeX \box and query about text- and scriptstyle

I was using LaTeX' \Box to mark the end of proofs.  The definition was
\def\epf{~\hfill$\Box$\medbreak} The problem was that it didn't come out
at the right margin as I wanted.  A little more experimenting showed
that the problem is that the LaTeX \Box (which is character "32 in the
lasy font) appears to somehow fool TeX as to its actual width.  To see
the odd behavior, try to run this file through LaTeX:

\documentstyle[12pt]{article}
\begin{document}
$\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box\Box$
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
\end{document}

The more boxes that are added to a line (anywhere, beginning, end or
middle), the more the line will be foreshortened.  Does anyone know a
cause and cure for this?

I have another question.  Is there any way to make a command like \over
or \atop that puts its arguments in textstyle if they are used on a
line, but will make them scriptstyle if they appear in superscripts.  I
currently use the definition
\def\jacobi(#1/#2){\left({\textstyle{#1}\over\textstyle{#2}}\right)} to
print out Legendre or Jacobi symbols.  In using \textstyle, I conform to
the style of at least some number theory books (as well as what me eye
assures me is best looking, since the arguments are not logically
subordinate).  I have never had occasion to use this in an exponent, but
if I did, I would want to put the arguments into scriptstyle.  Is there
any way of having this done automatically?

Michael Barr

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 12:48:39 CST
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: The purpose of strut

The correct height of a strut depends on what it's being used for: it's
general purpose is to ensure that the proper spacing between lines occurs
in places where TeX's line spacing might not normally occur, e.g., in
tabulars or between footnotes. Thus, we want the height (and depth) of the
strut to correspond to the current line spacing. In general, we would want
this to be the same as baselineskip (use one of the fontdimen parameters
to track the size, if you must). There are some notable exceptions,
however, e.g., a single-space tabular in a double-space document, but
that case should probably be enclosed in something along the lines of
\begin{singlespace}..\end{singlespace} to guarantee that p-columns come
out correctly.

dh

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 18:22:24 PST
From: dennis@yang.cpac.washington.edu (Dennis Gentry)
Subject: Here's a man page for the spelltex script posted recently

The man page is 7 times larger than the program.

Dennis Gentry
CPAC Computing Services Manager

.TH SPELLTEX 1L  "27 March 1989"
.SH NAME
spelltex \- spell check a TeX or LaTeX file.
.SH SYNOPSIS
.B spelltex file
.SH DESCRIPTION
\fISpelltex\fP uses \fIspell\fP(1) to spell check the named file.
It will ignore most \fITeX\fP(1L) and \fILaTeX\fP(1L) keywords.
.LP
    spelltex foo
.LP
spell checks the file "foo.tex".  If there exists a file
"foo.spell" containing correctly spelled words, sorted in the
standard collating sequence (i.e. output of \fIsort\fP(1)), none
of these words appear in the output of \fIspelltex\fP.  This is
for use in making a stop list of things that no pattern matcher
could detect as \fITeX\fP or \fILaTeX\fP syntax.  Such a list
can be made by

    spelltex foo > foo.spell

when foo contains no spelling errors.

For British spelling change "spell" to "spell -b" in both lines
of the \fIspelltex\fP shell script.

.SH OPTIONS
None
.SH "SEE ALSO"
spell(1), TeX(1L), LaTeX(1L)
.SH BUGS
Spelltex is only as good as spell.
.sp .4v
Each user must create her own stop list.
.sp .4v
It should be possible to request British spelling without
editing \fIspelltex\fP.
.SH AUTHOR
Charlie Geyer,
Department of Statistics,
University of Washington. (charlie@stat.washington.edu)

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 22:18:39 EST
From: Ashwin Ram <ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Problems with \includeonly and \tableofcontents

When working on individual chapters for a report, I use \includeonly to
process the chapter I'm currently working on.  I also like to look at the
\tableofcontents of this chapter since it provides a nice outline of the
chapter.

It would be nice if only the \tableofcontents for that included chapter was
actually printed.  E.g., if there are 10 chapters and I \includeonly{chapter3},
\tableofcontents should print the "Table of Contents" header and then only the
\tableofcontents for chapter 3.  Currently, I have to either (a) edit the .toc
file and delete all but the chapter 3 lines, or (b) print the entire table of
contents and remove the pages that I don't want.  Neither is very satisfying.

I'm sure I've overlooked a hundred reasons why this is harder than it looks
(e.g., getting labels and page numbering right will probably be hard).
However, if anyone has (or is willing to attempt) a solution for this, I'd
appreciate getting hold of it.

Thanks,

Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 02:24:19 EST
From: jessica!sbmath!eric@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Eric Jablow)
Subject: Non-English Hyphenation

A number of people at my institution are writing documents in languages
other than English; French, Spanish, and Portuguese, for example.  Is
there any place from which I may obtain hyphenation tables for any
non-English language?  Additionally, has anyone access to non-English
word lists for spell?  We only have dictionaries for American and
British English.  I know about the foreign LaTeX styles available from
the University of Rochester.

I've also forgotten how to set up alternative hyphenation tables.  Can
anyone give me pointers?

Respectfully,                      eric%sbmath@sbee.sunysb.edu
Eric Robert Jablow                 eric%fawn@sbee.sunysb.edu
SUNY at Stony Brook                "Master of Fawn's Hall"
Department of Mathematics          Don't you wish she were your secretary?
Stony Brook, NY, 11794-3651

Date: Sun Mar 26 23:06:35 1989
From: microsoft!w-colinp@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #18 (WYSIWYG and VorTeX)

You wrote:
> 	1) it is NOT a WYSIWYG system. As far as I know, VorTeX is the
> 	   only piece of software based on TeX that approaches this
> 	   capability.

It's odd, but I don't mind.  For small, fancy things like presentation
graphics and ad layouts, WYSIWIG is important.  For books and journals
(unless you're trying to be flashy), it doesn't seem to be.  I have
to muck around for a while to get the format right, and after that
I want to use all my standard text editing tools instead of being
forced to use the typesetter's editor, which is more of an afterthought
and probably doesn't have all the tools I'm used to.

> 		a) No concept of `ink on a page' - TeX deals in empty
> 		   rectangular boxes of specified dimensions, and knows
> 		   nothing about their contents. This has important
> 		   consequences for the inclusion of figures, and doing
> 		   many of the tricks currently handled with ease by
> 		   Mac-based DTP systems.

Could you clarify?  There are various limitations in TeX I'd like to fix
(someday... like, years hence) and am not familiar with this one.  Certainly
a good typesetting system should allow the inclusion of various graphics
in the text, where standards for encoding those pictures exist, but being
able to paste in an illustration is also useful.

> 	 	b) No optimisation of pagination.

Yes, this is something which has been developed since TeX, and needs work.
(Increased memory capacities also help.)

> 		c) The confused and confusing notion of one language
> 		   being used for macro definition (as in text replacement),
> 	 	   and for building style files.

This isn't so bad.  There are problems with TeX's macro language, but what
is the distinction you're making?

> Im my opinion, only a complete rewrite of TeX, that takes its algorithms
> for hyphenation, paragraph-setting, kerning/ligatures, mathematics
> handling, and general goodies, but places them in the context of a system
> which provides a REAL programming language as well as a simple macro
> definition facility, and moves on towards assimilating the lessons Don
> Knuth might have learnt had DTP been in existence when he began work
> on TeX, will meet the requirements of the 1990's.

I'd like to write such a beast.  Important points for me are providing the
basic algorithms (as you mention above) and giving the user maximum access
to the algorithm engines.  I think the way to do it is to define a programming
language which interprets the input stream.  In TeX, the ideas of reading
input and writing output are implicit, and I'd like to make them explicit.
In most cases, it just runs the user's input through the typesetting
algorithms, but a useful interpreter will also have escapes to let you modify
the interpreter at run-time.  A simple macro facility is easily added by the
interpreter writer.  And, of course, you would also be able to use this
super-TeX for things awk and perl are used for today.

The challenge is making all this sufficiently fast, but we can't make it too
easy...

> If ArborText are interested in sponsoring a group of TeX fiends
> (including myself) so that we can continue work on the TinT project
> (TinT is not TeX), we'd be happy to hear from you.

Now, what us this?

Thanks for helping my information addiction!

	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)

"Don't listen to me.  I never do." - The Doctor

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 00:25:58 gmt
From: Bo Thide' <mcvax!irfu!root@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: Problem with AMS fonts in TeX 2.93

I have just installed the AMS fonts from the directory /amsfonts on the
U Wash distribution tape for TeX 2.93.  For some reason all AMS
characters get printed on top of each other.  Is this normal or is
something wrong with the .tfm files?  I am running HP-UX 3.0 on an
HP9000/835 (if that's of any importance).

Please e-mail.

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
 /|F|\        INTERNET: bt@irfu.se   UUCP: ...!mcvax!enea!kuling!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 89 21:14:52 CST
From: J E PITTMAN <JEPTEX@venus.tamu.edu>
Subject: Problems with numeric formatting

I've been trying to add numeric formatting to my cellular package,
but am finding out that I know very little about how numbers are
formatted in general (and obscure) manuscripts.  The current set of
patterns I'm considering are:

   [ -> non_digits <=A digits ]B [ non_digits <- ]C

   [ -> non_digits <=D digits ]E [ . digits =>F non_digits <- ]G

   [ -> non_digits <=H digits ]I
         [ . digits =>J [ exp =>K [ sign =>L text <-]M <- ]N <- ]O

   [ -> non_digits <=P digits ]Q
         [ exp =>R [ sign =>S text <- ]T <- ]U

where

   [ ... ]letter  denotes a numeric element that is to be typeset to
                  same width within a column, the letter is used for
                  identification.

   -> or <-       denotes a point and direction of stretch.

   =>letter or    denotes an optional point and direction of stretch
   <=letter       that overrides a -> or <-, the letter is used for
                  identification.

   non_digits     include +, -, CR, $, et cetera.

   digits         include 0..9, comma, and underscore.

   exp            is the exponent notation characters (usually E).

   sign           is +, -, or nothing.

   text           is any text.

   .              is a decimal point.

Formatting one numeric pattern within a column is fairly simply,
however, what I'm having trouble with is formatting a mix of patterns
within a column such as

      10,000.00CR           10,000.00CR           10,000.00CR
          100-        or      -100          or   -        100
           10+                 +10               +         10

Although the cellular package can keep track of the 21 variables that
my patterns require on a per column basis, the problem is determining
relationships between patterns and how to allow the user to specify
them.  Another problem is determining the minimal sufficient set of
patterns that need to be considered.

Does anyone have suggestions?  A good reference?  Anything?

J E Pittman                   Bitnet:    JEPTeX@TAMVenus
User Services Group           Internet:  JEPTeX@Venus.TAMU.EDU
Computing Services Center
Texas A&M University

P.S.  Please reply directly as well as to the list.

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95 (2.98 coming)    metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.7
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%