Date: Sun, 2 Apr 89 11:49:36 PDT
From: mackay (Pierre MacKay)
Subject: General information regarding Unix TeX

The base price for a full distribution of TeX, is $140.00 for 1/2 inch
9-track tapes, $165.00 for 4-track 1/4 inch cartridge tapes.  This is
for prepaid orders, sent within the Continental U.S., by UPS, surface
routing, with delivery in eight days from dispatch.  For shipping
charges to other sites and for rush orders, see the table below.  We
can also accept purchase orders, with invoice after delivery, but
there will be an extra charge of $10.00, owing to the invoice
processing charges we incur.  We are required to have written
confirmation of orders (no phone confirmation) and we do not have fax
facilities.

Direct payment by wire can be made to
	UNIVERSITY of WASHINGTON Account # 002-138-0641
	For: Northwest Computing Support Center, # 14-0449
		in payment of UW INVOICE # -------------
        Rainier Bank -- University Branch
	1300 - NE 45th Street
        Seattle, WA 98105 U.S.A.
Payment by wire also involves an extra charge of $10.00 to cover bank
handling charges, but you do not need to pay the $10.00 invoice charge
if we do not have to send an invoice.

TOTAL costs, including shipping charges are:
-----    (add $10.00 for invoicing or payment by wire)

         |-------|-------|--------|--------|---------------|-----------|
         | Local | Local | Canada | Canada |   Overseas    | Overseas  |
         |  UPS  |  DHL  |  UPS*  |Airborne|Air Parcel Post|DHL Courier|
         |-------|-------|--------|--------|---------------|-----------|
 magtape |$140.00|$148.00|$140.00 |$160.00 |    $160.00    |  $170.00  |
         |-------|-------|--------|--------|---------------|-----------|
cartridge|$165.00|$173.00|$165.00 |$185.00 |    $185.00    |  $195.00  |
         |-------|-------|--------|--------|---------------|-----------|
        *NOTE: UPS shipments to Canada only available to Province of
               Ontario and to metropolitan areas of Montreal, Vancouver
               and Victoria.

Checks should be in U.S. dollars, payable to The University of Washington,
(IRS Tax number 91-6001537) and sent to:

	The Director
	Northwest Computing Support Center,  DW-10
	University of Washington
	Seattle, Washington 98195

The normal distribution is a tar tape, blocked 20, 1600 bpi, on an
industry standard 2400 foot half-inch reel.  If you need 1/4 inch
streamer cartridges, be sure to tell us.  The 1/4 inch physical format
is either QIC-11, 8000 bpi, or QIC-24, 4-track serpentine recording.
We cannot write nine-track on cartridges, nor can we write TK50
cartridges for the DEC Microvax.  SystemV tapes can be written in cpio
format, blocked 5120 bytes, ASCII headers, but we prefer not to, since
cpio format is extremely slow and wastes a great deal of tape on
inter-record gaps.  Again, please specify this format if you want it,
and make sure which of the several QIC formats you can read.  Most
systems can read both QIC-11 and QIC-24, but very old systems can read
only QIC-11, and some 3Bx s will only read QIC-24.  We can also offer
the distrtibution on a NeXT format laser-disk.

The original organization of the distribution reflected the use of
pascal for all compilations of TeX, TeXware, BibTeX, METAFONT and
MFware.  This has now been supplemented by a more convenient and more
generally portable WEB-to-C compilation for TeX, TeXware, BibTeX,
METAFONT and MFware (except for GFtoDVI, which is currently being
rewritten by Donald Knuth).  LaTeX and AMSTeX are macro packages
processed by TeX, and do not require any further compilation.

Current versions of standard programs in the distribution:

	(in the ./tex82 path)
        	TeX 	2.98 (implying the use of the new cm fonts.)
        		    (plain.tex version 2.94)
        	LaTeX 	2.09 (release of 4 Aug, 1988)
        		(also SliTeX 2.09)
		tangle	2.9
		weave	3.1
		dvitype	2.9
		pltotf	2.3
		tftopl	2.5
        	metafont 1.7
        	gftodvi 1.7
        	gftopk 	1.4
        	gftype 	2.2
        	pktype 	2.2
	        pktogf	1.0

		bibtex  0.99c
                mft 	0.3 (a formatting program for metafont source files.)
	    also:
               (chtopx gftopxl pktopx pxtoch pxtopk --- but the use of
	        these obsolescent pxl-related programs is discouraged)

Various foreign language utilities, German, Greek, Portuguese, Swedish, and a
	first run of TeX-XeT for Semitic languages.  Lots of other
	goodies of a generally similar nature.

Fonts in tfm (TeX Font Metric) format.  This is the format that describes
	fonts for TeX.  It includes all useful information about font
	characters except what they will actually look like on paper.
	TFM format is size independent and device independent. and can
	therefore be used on any system that runs TeX.  It will give
	you a valid DVI (DeVice Independent) output file, but will
	be of no use to give you readable hard (or CRT) copy output.

Fonts in mf source format. The full Computer Modern as released from Stanford.
	Utility fonts for character proofs etc. (not made with cmbase.mf),
	LaTeX and SliTeX fonts are also supplied in mf source format.

Fonts in PK format. This format produces characters that can actually
	be printed on paper.  It is very device-dependent, and can
	therefore only be supplied for a small range of common output
	devices.  All the standard shapes and sizes as declared in
	plain.tex, lfonts.tex, sfonts.tex and webmac.tex are here, in 118,
	200, 240, and 300 PK(dpi) series.  The 300dpi fonts are sent out in
	write-black and write-white flavors (CanonCX and Ricoh 4080).
	No provision is made for the global magnifications of LaTeX
	style files (such as bk11.sty).  If your site needs these or
	similar magnifications you will have to run METAFONT to get them.
	The PK files for the principal LaTeX and SliTeX alphanumeric and
	symbol fonts are in a separate list.  The Euler fonts (includes
	Fraktur) come in PK format only. (If you want [euler].mf source files,
	you should get in touch with the American Mathematical Society,
	which will make these available under license.)  All these fonts
	may be converted to gf format (the format produced by the METAFONT
        program) by using the MFware program pktogf.

Old METAFONT fonts. AMS fonts-- Cyrillc, and special symbols (created with
	old METAFONT-in-SAIL).  Converted to PK format.  There is no
	use in the mf files for these unless you are running a DEC10 or
	DEC20 with a SAIL compiler.

Fonts in pxl format. No more.  All the best drivers use gf or pk these days.
	If you really need pxl, you will have to compile and run pktopx.

NOTE. for those who wish to go on using am series fonts, the files
	am_plain.tex, am_lfonts.tex and am_webmac.tex are provided.

Drivers for dvi output.

	imagen(2 styles), qms(2 styles), LaserWriter (PostScript),
	LN03.  These all produce intermediate files of one sort
	or another.  Get in touch with Nelson Beebe Beebe@CS.UTAH.EDU
	if you need an HP LaserJet driver.

	Symbolics LGP, Ln01, Versatec.  (These are all obsolescent, and
	are no longer maintained.)

Compilation is now based entirely on Web-to-C, but the pascal compilation
files have been left on the tape in compressed format (not updated).  After
about 6 months, they will be removed, unless there is some urgent
reason for keeping them.

Here is a partial list of successful compilations under Web-to-C:

	Sun-2, SunOS 3.2
	Sun-3, SunOS 3.2 (no register variables), SunOS 3.4, 3.5, 4.0FCS
		(with register variables), all using the Sun-supplied C
		compiler, cc.  The -O4 optimization level seems to work
		on both Sun-3's and Sun-4's in SunOS 4.0 for TeX, but
		not for pltotf.c, mf4.c, and mf9.c.  With some early
		versions of gcc, you must define "shar" as "int" in site.h
		to avoid optimizer bugs (and then TeX's speed and size are
		comparable to the code produced by cc).  With recent
		versions of gcc, changing schar is not necessary.
	Sun-4, SunOS 3.2-4, using cc -O, and SunOS 4.0FCS with cc -O4.
		Gcc 1.28 also passes the trip test, but the execution
		time of the resulting program is the same or slower than
		that compiled with cc.  Gcc 1.30 seems to produce code
		which fails the trip test.
	Sun-386i, SunOS 4.0, cc -O, gargantuan version.
	Sequent Balance, Dynix 2.1.1, using cc, in both the Berkeley
		and ATT universes.  Gcc 1.21 and earlier failed even to
		produce assembly code which would assemble, much less execute.
		1.22's supposed to have this fixed, but the compiler dies
		with an unexpected signal :-(.
	Sequent Symmetry, Dynix 3.0.12, using cc -O.
	Vaxen running 4.2, 4.3BSD, and Ultrix, using cc.  gcc 1.17 (and
		possibly later versions, although 1.25 and later are known
		not to have this bug) incorrectly compiles the
		"makemathaccent" routine, but generally produces
		*much* faster code.  The data segment will be bigger,
		however, because gcc apparently packs the structure
		fourquarters very unoptimally.  Again, this has
		been fixed in gcc 1.25.
	Convex: Everything works, but -O breaks web2c itself, so don't use it
		when compiling that program; it's ok for TeX etc.
	Amdahl running UTS (SysV).  The type "schar" must be "short".
	Apollo, SR9.7 and SR10.0 (beta).
	Ridge 32 running ROS 3.5 and C compiler version 2.1B
	UNIXpc (aka 3b1 or PC7300) running System V version 3.51.
	MIPS R/1000, compiler version 1.21
	Iris workstation (model and OS version not specified).
	Celerity C1260, UNIX version 3.4.78, without -O.  The optimizer
		bug has been reported to Celerity (now part of FPS).
	Pyramid 98x, OSx64Q 4.0-870901, C Compiler CCOMP_4.0, large or
		small TeX's.
	AT&T 6386 WGS, running System V Release 3.1.1
	Interactive 386/ix Version 1.0.5 (Unix System V Release 3.1) running
		on an i386 machine.  See patches in the directory 386-ix.
	IBM RT/PC running AOS 4.3 (without -O).
	HP 9000/350.  HP's version of lex, and possibly others, types
		yytext as unsigned char instead of char.  Appropriate
		changes will have to be made in web2c on such systems.
	AT&T 3b2, small TeX, using the fpcc compiler.  The files tex8.c
		and dvitype.c had to be modified because each contained
		a case statement too large for the compiler to handle.
		It may be necessary to remove the "-s" flag when loading
		virtex if you're going to use undump.
	ICL Clan 7 running System V (really a CCI Power6/32).
	HP 9000/840, compiled without "-O" and with "-lmalloc", both big
		and small versions of TeX.  The 9000/850 is supposed to
		be object-code compatible, but it was not tested.
	Cromemco System 300 running Unixsoft System V.2 (TeX only).
	Sony News Workstation, 4.2BSD Unix Release 2.2, using both the
		native C compiler and gcc (both TeX and MF).
	Counterpoint System-19K, C-XIX 3.0.
	Sperry 7000/40 (Tahoe architecture) running 4.3BSD.
	Encore Multimax (32332's) running Umax 4.2 release 3.3.
	NeXT   OS version 0.8 if you leave out the -s flag to the
		loader.  (The compiler was gcc)
	Masscomp (but you must undefine REGFIX)
	Harris 8CX9 running HCX-UX (basically 4.2BSD),
		using standard cc compiler.  (typedef short schar
		in site.h, and eliminate #include <fcntl.h> from extra.c)
	A DOS port is in progress.  For now, you should ignore any
		references to MS_DOS in the code.

The site distributions of TeX are coordinated through the TeX
Users Group (TUG) as part of the services of TUG to its members.
We urge all users of TeX and METAFONT to join the TeX Users Group,
to support and benefit from its activities---particularly the
journal, TUGboat.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
% Call or write to: The TeX Users Group %
%                   P. O. Box 9506      %	Pierre A. MacKay
%		    Providence, RI      %	TUG Site Coordinator for
%                            02940-9506	%	Unix-flavored TeX
% (401) 751-7760                        %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 89 11:51:35 EDT
From: pfkrause@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: Wanted: tree formatter

Here's a problem that's both new and hard, at least so far as I know.
What I want to produce is something like this:

                                / \
                             NP     VP
                            / \    /  \
                           Det N   V   NP
                           |   |   |   / \
                          The man saw Det N
                                       |  |
                                       a boy

(probably using the slanted lines from LaTeX's \picture font),
with an input something like this:

\tree{S}{\tree{NP}{\tree{Det}{The}%
                   \tree{N}{man}}%
         \tree{VP}{\tree{V}{saw}%
                   \tree{NP}{\tree{Det}{a}}%
                             \tree{N}{boy}}}

(if you can think up a better input format, I'd be happy to take that
too).  Does anybody have an approximation to such a monster, or think
that they could write it?  My thesis thanks you.  I thank you.

                                        -paul
                                        pfkrause@wheaties.ai.mit.edu

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 02:34 +1000
From: Douglas Miller <munnari!csv.viccol.edu.au!DOUGCC@uunet.UU.NET>
Subject: TeX vs. LaTeX

Peter Flynn writes:
> We do in fact need both [TeX and LaTeX]. ...there are many more complex
> formatting requirements in the real world than LaTeX is suited to.

Yes, but even highly complex TeX hacking can be hidden inside LaTeX style
and style option files, and accessed by LaTeX-style "structural" commands.
This is what I assumed to be the intention of LaTeX; it is your "document
designer", which uses TeX as its "typesetter".

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 89 10:19:37 EDT
From: William Y. Huang <wmh@ll-sst.arpa>
Subject: Needed: Metafont sources for Chinese and Japanese fonts

Does anyone have Metafont sources for Chinese or Japanese Kanji Characters?
Thanks in advance.

%%% Moderators' note: The only thing that exists now is the experimental
%%% coding for old METAFONT-in-SAIL done by John Hobby, in cooperation
%%% with Gu Guoan.  This would require careful translation, but it appears
%%% to be a very good start on a new mf coding.  Hobby's stroke-based
%%% approach could be associated with the stroke-sequence data developed
%%% for the Caldwell SinoType.  Both the Chinese mf code and the stroke
%%% sequence files are available from the University of Washington.

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 89 14:15 EST
From: STEVENS@SPEECH.MIT.EDU
Subject: Phonetic font and large files

Please help me if you can.  I need to be able to use an phonetics
font with LaTeX.  Do you know of any that is available?

Also, need to increase memory size of LaTeX so that we can process
large files with many figures and tables.   Presently we get
the error:  Too many unprocessed floats.
Any suggestions?

I do not subscribe to TeXhax, so perhaps you could reply direct
to ann@speech.mit.edu. Thanks much.

Ann or Carol  617-253-7309, 617-253-5957

Date: 03 Apr 89  1143 PDT
From: Arthur Keller <ARK@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Concerning nested conditionals

The problem with nested conditionals affects conditions defined with
\def and not conditions defined with \newif

Consider the following TeX source file:
\newcount\counter	\counter=1
\newcount\cnt		\cnt=1
\newif\iftest		\testfalse
\def\condition{\iftest}

\message{Case 1. }
% use of \ifnum
	\ifodd\counter	\message{True }
		\ifnum\cnt>0
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\else	\message{False }
		\ifnum\cnt>0
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\fi

\message{Case 2. }
% use of \iftest defined by \newif
	\ifodd\counter	\message{True }
		\iftest
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\else	\message{False }
		\iftest
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\fi

\message{Case 3. }
% use of \condition defined by \def
	\ifodd\counter	\message{True }
		\condition
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\else	\message{False }
		\condition
			\message{true }
		\else
			\message{false }
		\fi
	\fi

\bye

* Because \iftest is defined by \newif directly it is set to \iftrue or
\iffalse by a \let command.  The scanner recognizes it as an \if while
skipping the text and handles the nesting properly.

* \condition is \def to \iftest, but \condition is not expanded while
skipping text for \ifodd, so the nesting is not properly handled.

* Note that \def\condition{\if...\else...\fi} will work fine.  (It is
an exercise left for the reader to figure out why.

Here is the output from the above TeX source.

This is TeX, WAITS Version 2.98 (preloaded format=plain 89.3.2)  3 APR 1989 11:34
**TMP.TEX
(TMP.TEX[1,ARK]
\counter=\count25
\cnt=\count26
 Case 1.  True  true  Case 2.  True  false  Case 3.  True
false
! Extra \fi.
p.2,l.52 ^^I\fi

? x
No pages of output.

* Moral: For conditions, always use \newif directly.

Arthur

Date: 4-APR-1989 10:10:18 GMT -01:00 (BST)
From: CHAA006%vaxb.rhbnc.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: (More on) concatentation of `fil' and `L'

As an afterthough to my earlier submission on the concatentation
of `fil' and 'L' in constructs such as

	\hskip 0 pt plus 1 fil Left or Right

on reading an earlier edition of `The TeX book', I now see that the
present production rule, which explicitly produces `fil', `fill' and
`filll', had an earlier, recursive, formulation, something like

	<fil> := fil | <fil> l

Now, taking that in conjunction with P.268 of `The TeX book', where
is written: "We shall use a special convention for keywords, since the
actual syntax of a keyword is somewhat technical.  Letters in type-
writer type [such as] `pt' will stand for

the `l` in the second alternative of the earlier recursive production
rule can clearly be preceded by <optional spaces>, and can equally
clearly in either case.  It seems possible that when Knuth changed
the production rule to explicitly limit the number of `l's to three,
he didn't change the WEB code which looks for all 'l's after the
first as semi-independent keywords, capable of absorbing initial
<optional spaces>.

One ( final?) correction: the recursive production rule in `The TeX book'
is {\it later} than the non-recursive formulation

	<fil unit> ::= fil | fill | filll

which occurs in the second printing, 1984.  The recursive formulation
appears in the sixth edition, 1986.  I have no intermediate editions
against which to check.

So my comments on the possibility of Knuth changing the definition
without changing the code were unwarranted.  It is now not clear to me
why the code implements an upper-bound of three 'l's, while the
production-rule allows an infinite quantity.  To be more precise, I do
not understand why Knuth appears to have adopted an infinite production
rule for a meta-notion with strictly-limited productions, when the
original formulation, while not indicating that spaces could be soaked
up, at least made it plain that at most three 'l's could occur.  Might
not the `best' production rule be something like

	<fil unit> ::= 	fil |
			fil<optional spaces>l |
			fil<optional spaces>l<optional spaces>l

					** Phil.

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 89 10:17 EST
From: <TEXAMPLE%VUVAXCOM.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject:  Pictex in latex; bitnet exclusion from texhax distribution

Dear Texhax,

What is going on?  Why have I received only issue 12 of this year's edition
on bitnet? I have a pictex question that I would like help on but obviously
the whole idea of texhax has broken down if everyone on bitnet is cut off.
Please respond directly to me in addition to your response to texhax.

How does one use pictex in latex?  Several people I know who use latex have
had memory problems just loading the three pictex macro files needed for
latex use. I don't use latex so I have escaped this problem until now but
I am unable to advise these people. Second, pictex seems to exceed
tex's memory quickly, which I have somewhat gotten around by repeated use
of the \savelinesandcurves and \replot commands but for an involved
diagram, even this fails. Is pictex a serious macro package or just a
halfbaked idea?

cutoff and unhappy in Philly,
bob jantzen     jantzen@vuvaxcom.bitnet

%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEXHAX <your name>
%%%
%%%  All others: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95 (2.98 coming)    metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.7
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%