[comp.text] Font change in eqn

peter@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Peter Guttorp) (05/03/89)

I want to include script capitals in a eqn/troff document to be printed on
an Apple Laserwriter 2. To do so, I have defined \*F to mean
	\f(ZC\fP
which works fine in raw text, but when typing
	... $( OMEGA , '\*F', bold P )$
	some text to go after the symbols
the text supposed to follow the symbols comes out in script until the
next paragraph break. I am obviously doing something silly, and would
appreciate a clean way of avoiding the problem (I could just fix it by
explicitly changing fonts whenever I get out of equations using the
script F, but there must be a right way of doing this).

peter@entropy.ms.washington.edu

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (Bill Carpenter) (05/03/89)

In article <1410@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> peter@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu (Peter Guttorp) writes:
> an Apple Laserwriter 2. To do so, I have defined \*F to mean
> 	\f(ZC\fP
> which works fine in raw text, but when typing
> [...font doesn't change back correctly...]

I can't promise this will fix your specific problem, but most of the
time similar stuff happens to me because troff only remembers the
previous font "one deep".  I usually get around this with this kind of
trick, which I now habitually do in macros and string definitions:

Instead of

 	\fP

use

 	\fP\fR\fP

This restores troff's notion that "R" is the previous font, even if
eqn or somebody does a sneaky font change for you someplace.
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill