[comp.text] LaTeX for SBTeX?

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (05/03/89)

I tried to build LaTeX using sbtex on an IBM-pc, but it wants to load
to many fonts.  Has anyone hacked up lfonts.tex so that it is possible
to build latex with sbtex?

	Thanks,
	Kevin Allred

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu

allred@ut-emx.UUCP (Kevin L. Allred) (05/05/89)

I received a number of replies to my posting about how to build LaTeX
with SBTeX.  Here is the one that holds the key.

> Posted-Date:  Wed, 3 May 89 21:07:51 EDT
> Received-Date:  Wed, 3 May 89 20:07:57 -0500
> Date: Wed, 3 May 89 21:07:51 EDT
> From: roberto@bondi.. (Roberto Gomez)
> To: allred@emx.utexas.edu
> Subject: Sbtex and latex
>
> Kevin, sbtex will build lplain.fmt if you have a 640K PC w/o
> memory-residennt utilities. I did it using the input files from dostex
> [available from simtel20.arpa].
>
> Start with a 640K PC, use chkdsk to check how much meory you have left,
> and reboot with a clean autoexec.bat and config.sys files if needed.
> Network drivers are probably a no-no, a friend couldn't get latex to
> work on his 640K PC because of them. I'll be glad to help if you have
> any problem, just drop me a line.
>

> Roberto

Sure enough that solved my memory problem.  The step by step instructions are:

1) Boot the PC with no ramresident utilities etc.

2) Put lplain.tex, lfonts.tex, and latex.tex in a work directory on
   the hard disk.

3) Copy all the necessary font .TFM files to the c:\tex\fonttfms
   directory.  If you don't know the names of the .TFM files you will
   need, run initex on lplain once, and use the lplain.log file as a
   guide for which .TFM files to get.

4) Copy all the .STY files for the document styles you will be using
   into the c:\tex\inputs directory.

5) From inside the latex work directory enter:
	c:\tex\initex lplain \dump
   You should see status messages indicating the various stages of
   processing.  If processing fails because it ran out of memory use
   CHCDSK to see how much memory is free, and then do what ever is
   necessary to make sure you have as near to 640K free as possible.
   If it fails because it couldn't find a(several) font .TFM file(s),
   use step 3 above.  I didn't have any other problems, so I don't
   know what else might come up.

6) When processing completes successfully, copy the lplain.fmt file to
   c:\tex\formats\lplain.fmt.  You can delete the copy in the work
   directory.

7) To use LaTeX to process a document enter:
	c:\tex\tex &lplain xxxxxxxx.tex
   where "xxxxxxxx.tex" is the name of the LaTeX document.

***CDVI won't preview most LaTeX generated .DVI files, as CDVI only
has the plain fonts loaded.  I'm going to try using DVIVGA available
on SIMTEL20 as a previewer, but I haven't done so yet.

--

	Kevin Allred
	allred@emx.cc.utexas.edu