[comp.text] Spacing in math mode in LaTeX

myb100@csc.anu.oz (05/06/89)

In article <1404@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:
> In article <3847@utastro.UUCP> hgcjr@utastro.UUCP (Harold G. Corwin Jr.)
> writes:
>
>> But easy?  TeX?  No way.  Made any easier using the TeXbook?  Only if
>> your job is typesetting and you're being paid to wade through a jungle
>> of lions and dangerous curves.  End of flame.
>
> Unless you write mathematics.  Then chapters 16--19 of the {\TeX}book
> are {\it must\/} reading.
>
> The \LaTeX\ manual is simply insufficient.  It doesn't even cover putting
> thin spaces in such simple formulas as
> \[ {\cal F} = \{\, f_\theta : \theta \in \Theta \,\} \]
> and
> \[ \int f \, d\mu \]
> or the double quad space in
> \[ \theta_i \le \theta_{i+1}, \qquad i = 1, \ldots, n-1. \]
>
> No reason why it should of course.

(meekly) Excuse me, on page 52 of LLs LaTeX manaul is a section entitled
3.3.7 Spacing in Math mode........

--Markus Buchhorn
Mt Stromlo Observatory, Canberra A.C.T., Australia
MARKUS@MSO.ANU.OZ, MYB100@CSC.ANU.OZ

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (05/14/89)

In article <2286@csc.anu.oz> myb100@csc.anu.oz replies:

> (meekly) Excuse me, on page 52 of LLs LaTeX manaul is a section entitled
> 3.3.7 Spacing in Math mode ...

Oops.  I guess "simply insufficient" is overstrong.  One of the three
examples here is covered on p. 52 of the LaTeX manual.

It is true though, that anyone who has any serious math to typeset had
better read the TeXbook (or the AMS TeX manual I suppose).  How about the
other two examples?  And there are dozens of others.  The point is
that it's not enough to know that you can put some space wherever you want,
you need to know where you should put space and exactly how much.

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Donald Hosek) (05/17/89)

In article <1431@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:
>It is true though, that anyone who has any serious math to typeset had
>better read the TeXbook (or the AMS TeX manual I suppose).  How about the
>other two examples?  And there are dozens of others.  The point is
>that it's not enough to know that you can put some space wherever you want,
>you need to know where you should put space and exactly how much.

The cases where one needs to insert extra spacing are rare enough that one
can avoid not knowing how or where to use things like \, etc. This is why
in my LaTeX courses, I don't even touch on spacing other than for special
cases like where one uses \qquad. Extra spacing should be added by the editor
of the final copy rather than the author. I read (I think in TeXline) that
some journals find it more economical to re-key articles than try and deal
with author-supplied manuscripts which are rife with all sorts of spurious
fine-tuning!

-dh

cje@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Cthulhu's Jersey Epopt) (05/18/89)

(Charlie Geyer) writes:

> The point is that it's not enough to know that you can put some space
> wherever you want, you need to know where you should put space and exactly
> how much.

May I suggest that such knowledge is outside the scope of the LaTeX manual?
The manual is supposed to be a guide to the features of the program.  As such,
it is entirely appropriate for it to stop at telling you how to put space
wherever you want.

*Where* such spaces should go seems to me to be the province of a manual on
"typesetting theory", something the LaTeX manual never claimed to be.

Anyone have a good suggestion for a "theory" manual?
--
Yog-Sothoth Neblod Zin,

Chris Jarocha-Ernst
UUCP: {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss, seismo}!rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!cje
ARPA: JAROCHAERNST@CANCER.RUTGERS.EDU

charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) (05/18/89)

In article <1292@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.UUCP
(Donald Hosek) writes:

> The cases where one needs to insert extra spacing are rare enough that one
> can avoid not knowing how or where to use things like \, etc. This is why
> in my LaTeX courses, I don't even touch on spacing other than for special
> cases like where one uses \qquad. Extra spacing should be added by the editor
> of the final copy rather than the author. I read (I think in TeXline) that
> some journals find it more economical to re-key articles than try and deal
> with author-supplied manuscripts which are rife with all sorts of spurious
> fine-tuning!

Fine for journal articles and textbooks, but how about preprints, tech
reports, camera ready copy?  Given that there are only a few instances
where TeX needs spacing specification -- before the differential in an
integral, inside the braces of a set specifier, between a formula and a
condition, and perhaps a few others -- there is no reason that anyone
who regularly typesets mathematics should not learn them.

Your objection has nothing whatsoever to do with mathematics.  Most
people on encountering TeX or LaTeX for the first time simply cannot
accept that the program knows how to typeset copy better than they do.
They want to make all sorts of adjustments, not just to the mathematics,
but to lists, headings, figures and tables, and so forth.  Many people
eventually learn to let the program do it it's own way.  Some people
don't have that much self restraint.  The just have to fiddle.

No manuscript should ever be "rife with all sorts of spurious
fine-tuning."  If absolutely necessary, there should be just a few
novelties, which are implemented by macros so they are done with
complete uniformity throughout the manuscript and can be changed by
redefining the macros.

I don't think we disagree about the big picture, just about the fine
points of mathematics typing, which brings me back to my original point.
Anyone interested in TeX and mathematics should read chapters 16 - 19 of
the TeXbook.

tbrakitz@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Byron Rakitzis) (05/18/89)

In article <1436@uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu> charlie@mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:

>In article <1292@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> dhosek@jarthur.UUCP
>(Donald Hosek) writes:
>
>> of the final copy rather than the author. I read (I think in TeXline) that
>> some journals find it more economical to re-key articles than try and deal
>> with author-supplied manuscripts which are rife with all sorts of spurious
>> fine-tuning!
>
>but to lists, headings, figures and tables, and so forth.  Many people
>eventually learn to let the program do it it's own way.  Some people
>don't have that much self restraint.  The just have to fiddle.

Well, I don't know about y'all, but I certainly learned my TeX by
"fiddling". (That should be `fiddling' ! :-) ) In any case, the answer
isn't the avoidance of all "spurious" control sequences, but rather
the rigorous implementation of user-defined control sequences.
That is an ugly turn of phrase. What I meant by it was: (like Humpty Dumpty!)
"If you're going to fiddle, put all your `fiddly' control sequences in
\def statements at the top, and stay away from TeX primitives (even
plain TeX `primitives') inside the body of a document."

This way, in the worst case the editor can \let all your macros
\relax, so to speak.

Knuth himself warned against the practice of repeatedly using
primitives (in the TeXbook, somewhere close to the beginning).

If you need to make a macro for sets or the infinitessimal in the
integral, do something like:

\def\setbraces#1{\{\,#1\,\}}

or

\def\dtheta{\,d \theta}

or whatever catches your fancy. You'll probably find your manuscript
to be much more `readable' (i.e., easy to take in at a glance. Is
there a word for that? I don't think `legible' quite fits the bill,
does it?) as a result.

Cheers.

--
"C Code."