[comp.text] LaTeX bug. Was: Latex on 1M Mac possible?

ghh@cognito.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) (05/18/89)

In article <462@wn2.sci.kun.nl> eykhout@wn2.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) writes:

    I run into trouble trying to run TeXtures with LaTeX on a mere
   1M macintosh. The 'about the finder' tells me that the system
   eats up 185k. Is that much? It leaves 1024-185=839k for TeXtures.
   Some experimentation on a MacII with
   multifinder tells me that LaTeXtures needs about 880k.

   Recommended actions? Buy more memory? Use an older system?
   I tried removing fonts and accessories from the system, but
   that didn't help one bit (in fact, it helped exactly 1k).

The "trouble" may not be a memory problem at all.  I have
found that TeXtures crashes when you respond to an error in
typesetting by returning to the editing window without first
appropriately quitting the typesetting window (e.g. giving
the command "x").  The crash occurs the next time you try
typesetting and TeXtures complains that it is out of memory.
I have never had this complaint except when I have failed to
exit the typesetting window correctly.
--
		       Gilbert Harman
                       Princeton University Cognitive Science Laboratory

		       ghh@princeton.edu
		       HARMAN@PUCC.BITNET

siegman@sierra.Stanford.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (05/19/89)

I get frequent out-of-memory errors with TeXtures on a 1 MB Mac Plus
if I have individual lines of source text that are too long. (No
problem with long documents -- files that produce 40 pages of output
run through just fine).

I prepare source files on QUED/M, which doesn't put carriage returns
on individual lines, then transfer to TeXtures to typeset.  If I
forget to insert the CRs while in QUED/M (there's a built-in command
to do this) or fail to Wrap everything in TeXtures, running out of
memory is not uncommon.  Running TeX in a 1 MB Mac is apparently
playing it pretty close to the line.

fink@nucthy.physics.orst.edu (Paul Fink) (05/19/89)

I run Textures on a 1 Meg Mac with LaTeX and a RAM disk! I don't have a hard
disk so I need the extra disk space. I run out of memory at about 10 pages.

Note that one should use the old system (5.3 ?) when you only have 1 Meg.

         Paul J. Fink Jr.                    Internet:
         Oregon State University                fink@PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
         Department of Physics               Phone:
         Corvallis, Oregon 97331                (503) 754-4631

ameet@Portia.Stanford.EDU (Ameet Bhansali) (05/19/89)

In article <GHH.89May18113551@cognito.princeton.edu> ghh@cognito.princeton.edu (Gilbert Harman) writes:

>The "trouble" may not be a memory problem at all.  I have
>found that TeXtures crashes when you respond to an error in
>typesetting by returning to the editing window without first
>appropriately quitting the typesetting window (e.g. giving
>the command "x").  The crash occurs the next time you try
>typesetting and TeXtures complains that it is out of memory.
>I have never had this complaint except when I have failed to
>exit the typesetting window correctly.

I am afraid I have to disagree with you.  I have been using Textures on a Mac
Plus for quite some time now.  My Mac has 2.5 Mbytes of memory, and I
have NEVER hadd a crash in response to an error.  I have had crashes
when I had only 1 Mbyte of RAM.  You are probably wrong in saying that
it may not be a memory problem.

Ameet Bhansali
(ameet@portia.stanford.edu)