Date: Sun, 07 May 89 22:28:30 CET
From: Joachim Lammarsch <RZ92%DHDURZ1.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: DANTE --- Deutschsprachige Anwendervereinigung TeX

       DANTE --- Deutschsprachige Anwendervereinigung TeX

Last year, when I was in Exeter at the European
TeX meeting, was the first time that the idea
of a German TeX society came into my mind. I
saw that the organisation and
representation of the European TeX users was not
very good. And the first step towards making
it better is in my opinion to improve the
organisation of the national groups.

So because of that, in Freiburg at the
German TeX meeting I made the proposal
in my capacity as the coordinator of the German group to
found a German TeX society, and asked for
comments about that idea. The response has been so
positive that I have gone on to prepare the
foundation.

On 14th of April 1989 in Heidelberg, it has come
to fruition. DANTE, Deutschsprachige
Anwendervereinigung TeX, has been
founded. I agree, the name is not from a
German. But the French users group has taken the
German GUTenberg, so we needed another well-known
name. 17 persons were present to found the
society, and after a discussion about the statutes
the board was elected. For chairman of the
society the persons present elected me. For vice
chairwoman Mrs. Gabriele Kruljac,
Max--Plank--Institut Stuttgart, for treasurer Mr. Friedhelm
Sowa, Research Center of the University
Duesseldorf, and for secretary Mrs. Luzia
Dietsche, Research Center of the University
Heidelberg, have been chosen.

The principal aim of the society is to encourage advice and
cooperation among German language TeX users. But
this is not the only intention. The user group will
examine proposals of members for new TeX
software, if there are some. It will above all
cooperate with other related national and
international TeX groups. Besides, DANTE shall
represent the interests of the German language
TeX users to the TUG more than has happened
up till now. Perhaps that will be done in team-work
with other European TeX groups.

Another activity will be the organisation of
training and education. The first training course will
perhaps be held at the next German TeX meeting. Last,
but not least, a newspaper will be edited and published.

Institutions as well as individuals can become members.
Membership is possible for
universities, publishers, software houses,
computer companies, public authorities, private
persons, students, e.a. to name but a few. The
dues for the various groups are graduated.

The first general meeting will take place together
with the German TeX meeting on 4th --- 6th
October 1989 in Eichstaett. The first day of the
meeting will be reserved for the members of DANTE;
the other two days will be the same as normally
happens at meetings.

For more information about DANTE please contact:

   DANTE -- Deutschsprachige Anwendervereinigung TeX
      Research Center of the University Heidelberg
               Im Neuenheimer Feld 293
                   6900 Heidelberg 1
                     West Germany
                Bitnet: DANTE@DHDURZ1

or

                  Joachim Lammarsch
                Bitnet: RZ92@DHDURZ1

Date: Mon,  8 MAY 89 12:43:40 BST
From: CHAA006%vaxb.rhbnc.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Subject: Correction to \usedefaultifnotleftbrace

Eamonn McManus  <emcmanus@cs.tcd.ie> has kindly pointed out an error in my
submission "Re: Defining macros with defaults in TeX (TeXhax Digest V89 #30)";

>>> In article <23877@labrea.Stanford.EDU> you write:

>>> I'm afraid this macro definition is wrong, because it has unbalanced
>>> braces.  The solution is to write \ifx\next\bgroup instead.

             ,
My thanks to Eamonn, and my apologies for not testing my suggestion before
sending it.

					Philip Taylor
			    Royal Holloway and Bedford New College

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 21:54:12 EDT
From: "David F. Rogers" <dfr@cad.usna.mil>
Subject:  Registered trademark

% G'day,

% Below are two code fragments (macros) designed to create a registered trdde
% mark similar to the copyright symbol. The first is a direct modification of
% the Plain TeX copyright macro. Why does the \eightpoint NOT reduce the size
% of the circle but does reduce that of the R? \eightpoint is just the
% font size switching macro from the TeXbook.

% Having tried that, my next thought was to be a bit more direct. The second
% \def resulted. Again, why does the \fivesy NOT reduce the size of the big
% circle defined by the \mathchar"20D definition BUT does reduce the size of
% the R?

% I have read all (I think) of the appropriate bits in the TeXbook
%  ( pp. 154 - 157, p. 431 ) but am obviously missing somehhing important.

% I have also looked thru tugsty.tex in the hopes that it was defined there.
% No luck or I missed it.

% Thanks in advance
% Dave Rogers

% first attempt

\def\trademark{
    {\ooalign{\hfil\eightpoint\raise.07ex\hbox{R}\hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20D}}
}

This is a test of the registered trade mark macro$^\trademark$.
This is a test of the registered rrade mark macro$^\trademark$.

% the second attempt (well actually there were a lot of others but...)

\font\fivesy=cmsy5

\def\regmark{
{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.07ex\hbox{\fiverm R}
\hfil\crcr$ \fivesy \mathchrr"20D $}}}

be an approximate representation of the same standard, printed color guide
such as the one provided by the Pantone\kern-1pt$^{\regmark}$ color system.
However, the use of color monitors in these systems and the desire or

\bye

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 08:29:52 PDT
From: wagman@Csa1.LBL.Gov
Subject: Re: hyphenation

%  Can anyone suggest settings (\tolerance, \looseness, \hyphenpenalty, etc.)
%  so that TeX will hyphenate "photoproduction" in a narrow \hsize and not
%  just place it on one line as an overfull \hbox?
%
%
        \hsize = .7in
        \hyphenation{pho-to-pro-duc-tion}
        photoproduction\par
        \end
%
%
%  I have tried the suggestions at the bottom of page 451 of the TEXbook.
%  I include a \hyphenation just to assure that Tex knows what to do,
%  but it isn't necessary because \showhyphens{photoproduction} indicates
%  that Tex already knows what to do with this word.
%
%  Thanks,
%    Gary Wagman
%    Lawrence Berkeley Lab
%    One Cyclotron Road, 50-308
%    Berkeley, CA  94720
%
%    (415)486-6610
%
%    Internet:  WAGMAN@LBL.GOV
%    Bitnet:    WAGMAN at LBL
%    HEPnet:    LBL::WAGMAN

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 08:28:26 PDT
From: wagman@Csa1.LBL.Gov
Subject: Determining \halign Column Widths

Stephan Bechtolsheim asks the following:

>    Subject: Re: Width of columns and \halign

>    Does anybody know of a STRAIGHT FORWARD way to get the width
>    of a column in a table built with \halign?

%
%   I don't know LaTex, but assuming that its \halign is the same as
%   TeX's, I find the following straightforward.  I assume, also, that
%   by "straight forward" you mean that you do not want to make a first
%   pass trial where you typeset the table and visually locate the longest
%   item and then make a second pass with the preamble containing:
%   \hbox to \wd\BoxOfLongestItemFound{#}.
%
%   Gary Wagman
%   WAGMAN@LBL.GOV
%
\newbox\A
\newdimen\MAX \MAX=0pt
\halign{#\quad&
\setbox\A=\hbox{#\hss}
\ifdim \wd\A > \MAX
    \global\MAX = \wd\A
\fi
\copy\A\cr
 5pt&\hbox to 5pt{\hrulefill}\cr
25pt&\hbox to 25pt{\hrulefill}\cr
15pt&\hbox to 15pt{\hrulefill}\cr
45pt&\hbox to 45pt{\hrulefill}\cr
35pt&\hbox to 35pt{\hrulefill}\cr
}
\showthe\MAX  % shows 45pt
\end

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 09:36:21 PDT
From: lamport@src.dec.com (Leslie Lamport)
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #35

Piet Tutelaers has three questions:

   a) Why does the following environment definition not work?

See page 66, lines 5-7 of the manual.

   b) Is it possible to create a generalized environment in which each line of
      text can be processed by a macro?

Yes.  But you'll have to read the TeXbook to find out how.

   c) The LaTeX document, as far as I have seen, does not explicitly forbid
      spaces between the arguments of the \newenvironment:
      	\newenvironment{nam}[args]{begdef}{enddef}
                          ^?   ^?    ^?      ^?
      Where are spaces allowed and where not...

See page 19, lines 9-10 of the manual.

   and why?

To understand that, you'll have to read the TeXbook and the definitions
of all the LaTeX macros to figure out in which small number of instances
spaces between arguments cause errors.

Jan Ameij writes

   Does anyone there know how LaTeX decides whether to use a letter or a
   number as the identifier for a footnote?  My document contains
   footnotes within minipages, generated with the two part
   \footnotemark[1]...\footnotetext[1] method, but whereas the mark is a
   numeral, the text is identified with a letter.  The Latex manual is not
   a great deal of help (even after I manage to find the pages the index
   tried to refer to but didn't quite!).

From the manual:

   Index entry: numbering, 91, 174

   From page 91:

      Every number that LaTeX generates has a counter associated with it.
      The name of the counter is the same as ...  Below is a list of the
      counters used by LaTeX's standard document styles to control numbering.

         ...  footnote  ...  mpfootnote

      ... The mpfootnote counter numbers footnotes inside a minipage
      environment.

   Index entry:  counter, 91ff

   From page 92:

      LaTeX provides the following commands for printing counter values...

      To generate a printed number, LaTeX executes a command whose name is
      formed by adding the \the to the beginning of the appropriate
      counter's name...

I presume that Ameij's problem is that he wants to generate footnote
markers inside a minipage to footnotes at the bottom of the page.
Assuming that he does not want some footnotes to appear at the bottom
of the minipage, the passages quoted above reveal that redefining
\thempfootnote to be \arabic{mpfootnote} would solve his problem.  In
fact, redefining it to \arabic{footnote} should make things even
easier for him.

Leslie Lamport

Date: Mon, 8 May 89 21:14:12 -0400
From: allan@svax.cs.cornell.edu (James Allan)
Subject: Double spacing in LaTeX

Okay, the LaTeX manual says:

	You can produce a "double-spaced" version of the document for
	copy editing by setting \baselinestretch to 2, but it will be
	ugly and hard to read.  Any other changes to the interline
	spacing should be part of a complete document-style design,
	best done by a competent typographic designer.  [p.155]

I'm a far cry from a competent typographic designer (not even sure I've
ever seen one), but I'd like to have a double-spaced document (yeah,
sometimes people want them).  Now, if I set \baselinestretch at the
start of the document, it actually don't look that bad (it certainly isn't
ugly), but I run into problems if I want to have some text single spaced
(e.g., quotes or programs or sample output).  I worked around this by
creating the rather icky LaTeX environment:

	\newenvironment{single}{
		\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{1} \tiny\normalsize
	}{
		\renewcommand{\baselinestretch}{2} \tiny\normalsize
	}

(the font changes are needed to convince LaTeX that it should pay attention
to the new \baselinestretch size).  This little trick seemed to work in
the place that I needed it most recently, but it's not "part of a complete
document-style design".

So ("at last," the audience sighs), does anyone out there have a nice style
file (or somesuch) that sets things up for double-spaced documents, providing
easy (and non-ugly) access to single-spacing where appropriate?  If so, I'd
love to have a copy.

Thanks to all in advance.

			   james allan
			   Cornell University, CS Dept
			   allan@cs.cornell.edu

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 09:24:46 BST
From: Sebastian Rahtz <spqr%electronics-and-computer-science.southampton.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: 1270 dpi output to linotron

The question was 'how do we get started on 1270 dpi output to a
PostScript typesetter'

   computing the fonts may take a while and that PostScript files that contain
I just built most of CMR, plus assorted other things, in a day on a
Sun 3/50. it ground a bit, but I got on with life. do other people
watch it happening

   1200 dpi fonts may be pretty hefty.  Has anyone done it?  How bad is it?
It depends on your route to the typesetter, doesn't it? Of course the
files are big. Thats an inevitable concomitant of using MF; but it
only matters if you are tying up a serial line which other people want
to use. I can't see that output speed from a typesetter will ever be
VERY urgent, when you can proof on a laserprinter.

   Convert the METAFONT descriptions of the TeX/LaTeX fonts to scalable PostScr
   fonts and download them.  Is that possible?  Has anyone done it?
yes, but i expect someone else can give better details than me.

   Come up with the font metrics for the standard PostScript fonts and use them   This would probably require a PostScript plain.tex and lplain.tex that would
   make DVI files that can only be printed on PostScript printers and would not
   look like documents that use the TeX fonts.  I've heard rumors that this has
This is silly. They are Metafont fonts, not TeX fonts. TeX neither
knows nor cares how the characters are generated, so long as it has
metrics. documents look exactly the same.

   been done.  Would anyone care to substantiate same?
everyone and his sister has a dvi to PS program which does this; which
one, and from where, depends on what machine you have, and what access
to FTP or mail servers you have.

Sebastian Rahtz
Computer Science, Southampton
(who has only once seriously printed a document in CMR, and it looked so awful
he has used PostScript fonts ever since)

Date: Tue, 09 May 89 10:11:11 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Needed driver for Xerox 3700

Heres what I have. Please send additions, corrections, etc. to me at
U33297@UICVM.UIC.EDU

 Xerox 2700II, 3700, 4045
  (IBM VM/CMS)
   Ecole Normale Superieure
    DVI2700 (by Maurice Vallino and Chantal Durand)
     Uses Xerox 2700 special fonts. Inclusion of Xerox bitmap files is made
     possible by the \special command. An auxiliary program, PXLXEROX, is
     provided to allow conversion of PXL files to Xerox 2700 format. Written in
     Pascal. Source included.
     Available free of charge.

   Xerox
    DVIX27 (by John Gourlay)
     Uses Xerox 2700 special fonts (the cm* fonts are supplied up to magstep
     5 in this format). Written in WEB. Source included.

Ecole Normale Superieure
 Contact: Chantal Durand
 Postal Address: Centre de Calcul, Ecole Normale Superieure
                 45 rue d'Ulm
                 75005 Paris, France

Xerox
 Contact: Margot Nelligan
 Postal Address: Xerox Printing Systems Division
                 880 Apollo Street
                 El Segundo, CA 90245
 Phone: (213) 333-6058
 Note: I have heard rumors that Margot may have left Xerox El Segundo...
       Does anybody have more information on this?

    Don Hosek           Internet: U33297@UICVM.UIC.EDU
    3916 Elmwood        Bitnet: U33297@UICVM.BITNET
    Stickney, IL 60402          DHOSEK@YMIR.BITNET
    Work: 312-996-2981  UUNet: dhosek@jarthur.claremont.edu
                        JANET: U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UK.AC.EARN-RELAY

Date: Tue, 09 May 89 10:21:29 CDT
From: Don Hosek <U33297%UICVM.UIC.EDU@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Printing DVI's using DVI3820 on VM/CMS

Did you make sure that you had the correct CMS blocking on the file
when uploading it. One should, when uploading TeX binaries, indicate
that the file should be in F1024 format as well as telling the file
transfer program that the file is to be uploaded without ASCII-EBCDIC
conversion.

 dh

Date: Tue, 09 May 89 08:51:29 PLT
From: Dean Guenther <GUENTHER%WSUVM1.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V89 #36

> I've been trying to print some DVI's which were uploaded to
> VM/CMS using KERMIT in BINARY mode, using DVI3820.  I've been
> able to d/l DVI's and view them on a PC, but DVI3820 complains
> that the DVI file is not of the correct format.  Is there some
> secret to this?  Has anyone else had success in doing this?
>                                       Brian!

It works as long as the record format is Fixed, and the lrecl is less than
8192. -- Dean

                                        Dean Guenther
                                        TeX IBM VM/CMS Site Coordinator
                                        Washington State University
                                        Pullman, Wa.
                                        99164-1220

                                        phone:   509-335-0411
                                        BITnet:  GUENTHER@WSUVM1

Date: Tue, 9 May 89 19:09:23 met
From: Bo Thide' <bt@irfu.se>
Subject: Big TeX capacity exceeded!

We have patched our TeX 2.93 to BIG TeX. Still, in a 10 page paper
with 5 figures drawn with PiCTeX I get the message:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=262141].

In the original TeX mem_max=65530.  Why is it "only" 4 times bigger
in Big TeX.  Is there a *safe* way I can increase this to about 1 M?

   ^   Bo Thide'--------------------------------------------------------------
  | |        Swedish Institute of Space Physics, S-755 91 Uppsala, Sweden
  |I|     [In Swedish: Institutet f|r RymdFysik, Uppsalaavdelningen (IRFU)]
  |R|  Phone: (+46) 18-403000.  Telex: 76036 (IRFUPP S).  Fax: (+46) 18-403100
 /|F|\          INTERNET: bt@irfu.se      UUCP: ...!mcvax!sunic!irfu!bt
 ~~U~~ -----------------------------------------------------------------sm5dfw

%%%          where xxx is the nearest geographical site in the
%%%          tree shown below
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%     Please be sure you send a valid internet address!!
%%%        in the form name@domain or name%routing@domain
%%%     and use the style of the Bitnet one-line message, so that
%%%     we can find your subscription request easily.
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%% For further information about TeX Users Group services and publications
%%%  contact Karen at KLB@SEED.AMS.COM or write to TUG at
%%%   TeX Users Group
%%%   P.O. Box 9506
%%%   Providence, R.I. 02940-9506
%%%   Telephone      (401) 751-7760
%%%
%%% Current versions of the software now in general distribution:
%%%    TeX       2.95 (2.98 coming)    metafont  1.7
%%%    plain.tex 2.94                  plain.mf  1.7
%%%    LaTeX     2.09 ( 8/10/88)       cmbase.mf see cm85.bug
%%%    SliTeX    2.09                  gftodvi   1.7
%%%    tangle    2.9                   gftopk    1.4
%%%    weave     2.9                   gftype    2.2
%%%    dvitype   2.9                   pktype    2.2
%%%    pltotf    2.3                   pktogf    1.0
%%%    tftopl    2.5                   mft       0.3
%%%    BibTeX    0.99c
%%%    AmSTeX    1.1d
%%%\bye
%%%