[net.periphs] FPS maintenance question

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (06/01/84)

Date:     Fri, 1 Jun 84 12:39:36 EDT
From:     ron@BRL-VGR.ARPA
Subject:  Subject: followup failed
Sender:   ron@BRL-VGR.ARPA
To:       ron@BRL-VGR.ARPA

inews: No title.

Your article follows:
Newsgroups: net.periphs Subject: Re: FPS maintenance questions

We were left with a bad opinion of FPS (or as we refer to them: Fly By
Night Convolvers) after our sole purchase of an AP-120B four years ago.
The thing came with installation included.  They installed it in the
rack, but were not able to run checkout because even though we had
specified that we were running a PDP-11/70 they had no software that
would work on the processor.  For the first few months whenever someone
tried to use it under load the system would die with UNIBUS errors.
This was when I came to work for BRL.  Looking at the UNIX software that
we had bought from another vendor (Pennisula Research (not the WICAT
people, the Stanford ones)), it stated that there is a defect in the
UNIBUS interface that prevents it from working on the faster PDP-11's
and that you should get the fixes that they put in the Stanford system.
I called FPA and talked to their hardware department.  I told them that
our system had never worked, not been tested on installation, and
explained the note about the ECO's done to the Stanford system.  I asked
if they would tell me what the ECO's were. They admitted that there were
several ECO's that were needed to make that revision board work with
anything other than PDP-11/34's, but wouldn't tell me what they were. I
kept calling different levels of customer support, but the answer was
always the same.  I could either buy a new interface board for $930 or I
could pay transportation + hourly rate for one of their service
engineers to come put them in.  I told them that since it never worked
that I sould be entitled to a new board, but was willing to settle for
just a description of the ECO's.  No dice.  Finally, I tracked down one
of the Stanford guys at his new job and got the ECO information from him
and fixed the board myself.  No longer hung the UNIBUS.

Then one of our programmers tried a little benchmark to invert a 30 by 30
matrix and multiply it by the inverse to get a identity matrix.  On the
11/70 in BASIC-PLUS it took something like 24 minutes.  On the AP-120B, it
took 17 seconds.  Unfortunately the answer from the array proccessor was
wrong.  I mentioned to the programmer that there was a speed/accuracy
trademark that he was going to have to make.  The pattern of the error
was rather regular and the Penninsula Research diagnostics would now run
and found a bad memory board, which we also fixed locally and got the beast
running.

The total is that we got a processor with a broken UNIBUS interface and
one broken memory board, and paid for installation that never really got
done and FPS was totally unwilling to provide even minimal assistance to
get us out of the mess.

-Ron