[comp.text] Shaded box backgrounds in

karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg) (06/22/89)

A while back I asked about getting shadow boxes in (La)Tex, and a number of
people mentioned that I'd have to get some \special commands included in the
text and get a version of dvi -> PS (in my case) that would insert the box,
from pic, etc.  (I never did get a complete address from which to FTP stuff,
although some mention of them was made.)

My mistake.  I don't want to INCLUDE a shaded box; I want the background of
a current box, with included text, to be shaded.  I'm using 'box' here not
in the TeXnical sense, as I actually want the background to possibly span a
number of paragraphs, possibly even page boundaries.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions, encouragements?

-- Karl --
--
Karl A. Nyberg		karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Grebyn Corporation		   karl%grebyn.com@haven.umd.edu

beck@gefion.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (06/22/89)

In article <12140@grebyn.com> karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg) writes:

>A while back I asked about getting shadow boxes in (La)Tex, ...
>Thoughts, comments, suggestions, encouragements?

You want to use EEPIC, a macro package which extends the LaTeX picture
environment to allow many nice things like shaded boxes.  It generates
tpic \specials which must be interpreted by the dvi driver.  There is a
version of dvips around which supports tpic \specials.

EEPIC is in fact an enhancement of EPIC, so you must load epic.sty and then
eepic.sty.  Both EPIC and EEPIC are available by FTP from sun.soe.clarkson.edu

Micah Beck
beck@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS Dept.