[comp.text] TeXhax Digest V89 #59

TeXhax@cs.washington.edu (TeXhax Digest) (07/04/89)

TeXhax Digest    Wednesday, June 14, 1989  Volume 89 : Issue 59

Moderators: Tiina Modisett and Pierre MacKay

%%% The TeXhax digest is brought to you as a service of the TeX Users Group %%%
%%%       in cooperation with the UnixTeX distribution service at the       %%%
%%%                      University of Washington                           %%%

Today's Topics:

            Is the PD VMS TeX tape from Stanford up to date?
                      Needed: Driverfiles for LN03
                   PC executables for dvi->ps programs
                       Variable displaymath sizing
                          TeX or LaTeX firewalls
                     Bug in "boxedminipage" style file
      Re: extra space after LaTeX "alleqno.sty" usage -- bug fixed
                Controlling page parameters within LaTeX
         Footnotes after each chapter(section, ....) with LaTeX
                             TeX in the TLS
                        Rotating figure captions
          Re: Peter Golde`s remarks concerning 12pt declaration

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 1989 13:57:40 CDT
From: Mic Kaczmarczik <mic@emx.utexas.edu>
Subject: Is the PD VMS TeX tape from Stanford up to date?

How can we find out what versions of the various TeX programs are
shipping with the public domain TeX tape for VMS one can order out of
the back of TUGboat? We are looking at updating the two year old
distribution we are currently using on our VMS systems, and would like
to make sure what versions we will be getting before we order it.

Thanks,

Mic Kaczmarczik
Computation Center User Services
The University of Texas at Austin
mic@emx.utexas.edu

Date:  Thu, 8 June 1989  08:46:49 GMT
From: A07820%TRMETU.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: Needed: Driverfiles for LN03

 I have an IBM PS/2 60. I have used for Latex output dot matrix
 printers (NEC 6 and 7). Now we got an LN03 laser printer. Where can
 I find driverfiles for this laserprinter.
 Bulent Karasozen
 Math. Dept.
 Middle East Technical University
 06531 Ankara- Turkey

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 16:41:39 MST
From: "Darryl R. Morrell" <morrell@asuvax.asu.edu>
Subject: PC executables for dvi->ps programs

I have obtained SBTeX for the PC, and am trying to install the
needed support programs.  In particular, I need a postscript driver,
and before trying to port dvialw or dvi2ps to the PC, I was wondering
if anyone else has already done this.  Is there an anonymous ftp
site where executable (preferably in arc format) versions of either
dvialw or dvi2ps are available?  If not, does anyone have a version
they would be willing to email?
				Thanks,
				Darryl Morrell
				internet: morrell@enuxva.eas.asu.edu
				bitnet: ATDRM@ASUACVAX

Date: 2 Jun 89 16:42:00 CST
From: "DAVE CARGO" <dscargo@cim-vax.honeywell.com>
Subject: TeX or LaTeX firewalls

At  my  piece  of  Honeywell we are building a forms publishing application
using  LaTeX.  Currently the input comes from a sequence of forms extracted
from  a  data  base. The extraction could be of many forms (100 in a recent
case).  If  the  text  in  the  bodies  of  the  forms contains errors, the
formatting  process can stop partway through a formatting run. (The text is
often produced by people untrained with TeX or LaTeX.) Is there some way to
inform  LaTeX  that  it  can  skip ahead to the end of a form containing an
error and start on another form and not give up on the rest of the file? If
LaTeX can't do it, can TeX?

David S. Cargo (DSCARGO@CIM-VAX.HONEYWELL.COM)

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 89 10:59:26 PDT
From: John Lee <jslee@nrtc.northrop.com>
Subject:  Variable displaymath sizing

I have a document that has a hard baselineskip=19.580pt. Every line
must be an increment of 19.58pt. If a line exceeds that height,
vspace is added to reach the next 19.58pt incremental.

I've solved the problem of singular line displaymath by setting
4 displayskip variables. This doesn't work for tall equations,
such as ones where \left( and \right) are used.

This application would be similar to legal documents where line
numbers occur at the left margin which correspond to a line of text.
Manually typed documents rarely line up precisely, especially
multi-copy pages.  (This due to circumferential differences of the
pages as they wrap around the typrewriter platen).

That excuse doesn't work for a flat printing laser printer.
Are there more settings I should set to accomplish this?

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 89 12:07:18 edt
From: mmatlack@andrew.ge.com (Mike Matlack, 609/866-6612)
Subject: Summary: including FrameMaker figures with dvi2ps

A few weeks ago I wrote:
>I am having problems including FrameMaker figures into dvi2ps output.

Thanks for all who responsed.

To summarize, including FrameMaker figures in dvi output should be done as
follows:

	open a Framemaker doc.  the doc should be taller than it is wide,
	otherwise the figure will come out as a landscape drawing (rotated
	90 degrees)...bug or feature?  The width of the doc should be the
	width of your page as defined in your LaTeX document.  draw the
	figure at the bottom of the page and save the document to a
	postscript file, my-pict.ps

	pass the document through fm2tex (below) which uses fm2tex.sed
	(below), to generate a filtered file, my-pict.tps

	edit a LaTeX file, including the lines:

	    \begin{figure}
	    \special{psfile=my-pict.ps}
	    \vspace{4.0in}
	    \caption{my caption}
	    \label{fig:my-pict}
	    \end{figure}

	latex the file, and then run dvi2ps (part of TeX distribution),
	piping the output to lpr

Note that in the \special command you may have to specify a vertical
offset equal to the (intended) height of the figure, i.e.

	    \special{psfile=my-pict.ps voffset=-4.0}

or use the scaling/translatrion filter below.

The filters were sent to me by Dan Smith of MSU. (thanks, Dan!) who got
them from "someone in Germany".

MikeM
mmatlack@atl.ge.com or mmatlack%atl.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
...!mcnc!ge-rtp!ge-dab!atl.ge.com!mmatlack

%----- cut here -----
### fm2tex ###
#
#   Prepare frame maker PostScript file for use with tex
#
if ($1 == "") then
	echo " "
	echo Prepare FrameMaker Postscript output for use with tex:
	echo ------------------------------------------------------
	echo " "
	echo The first and only argument must denote the PostScript
	echo output file \(omit the .ps extension\).
	echo " "
else
	echo Converting $1.ps ...
	sed -f $HOME/bin/fm2tex.sed $1.ps >$1.tps
	echo Ready. Converted file resides in $1.tps
endif
%------- cut here ----
### fm2tex.sed ###
#
#   prepare frame maker PostScript file for use with tex
#   ----------------------------------------------------
#
#   delete print command
#
s/^[ \	]*showpage$//
#
#   insert scaling and translation
#
/^\%\%EndSetup/i\
1.0 1.0 scale\
0 0 translate
%---- cut here ----
### fmscale ###
#
#   scale FrameMaker picture for tex
#
if ($1 == "") then
	echo " "
	echo Scale and translate FrameMaker pictures for TeX:
	echo ------------------------------------------------
	echo " "
	echo The first and only argument must denote a FrameMaker-
	echo Postscript output file that has been converted with
	echo fm2tex \(omit the .tps extension\).
	echo Input scaling and translation each as requested,
	echo typing two numbers separated with spaces.
	echo " "
else
	echo Patching $1.tps ...
	echo " "
	echo -n "scale factor [hor. vert.]: "
	set sc=$<
	echo -n "translation  [hor. vert.]: "
	set tr=$<
	sed "/^\%\%BeginSetup/,/^\%\%EndSetup/s/^.*scale/$sc scale/"\
            $1.tps >$1.sps
	sed "/^\%\%BeginSetup/,/^\%\%EndSetup/s/^.*translate/$tr translate/"\
            $1.sps >$1.tps
	rm -f $1.sps
	echo Ready.
endif

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 18:20 EDT
From: "Jerry Leichter (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU)"
       <LEICHTER@Venus.YCC.Yale.Edu>
Subject: Bug in "boxedminipage" style file

The boxedminipage style file in the LaTeX style file archives has a bug:  It
neglects to leave \fboxsep's worth of separation between the text and the
surround at the top and bottom of the text.

Enclosed is a fixed version.
							-- Jerry

%	boxedminipage.sty
%
% adds the boxedminipage environment---just like minipage, but has a
% box round it!
%
% The thickneess of the rules around the box is controlled by
% \fboxrule, and the distance between the rules and the edges of the
% inner box is governed by \fboxsep.
%
% This code is based on Lamport's minipage code.
%
% Fixed, 7 Jun 89 by Jerry Leichter
%	Leave \fboxsep worth of separation at top and bottom, not just at
%	the sides!
%
\def\boxedminipage{\@ifnextchar [{\@iboxedminipage}{\@iboxedminipage[c]}}

\def\@iboxedminipage[#1]#2{\leavevmode \@pboxswfalse
  \if #1b\vbox
    \else \if #1t\vtop
	     \else \ifmmode \vcenter
		       \else \@pboxswtrue $\vcenter
		    \fi
	  \fi
  \fi\bgroup % start of outermost vbox/vtop/vcenter
    \hsize #2
    \hrule\@height\fboxrule
    \hbox\bgroup % inner hbox
      \vrule\@width\fboxrule \hskip\fboxsep \vbox\bgroup % innermost vbox
	\vskip\fboxsep
	\advance\hsize -2\fboxrule \advance\hsize-2\fboxsep
	\textwidth\hsize \columnwidth\hsize
	\@parboxrestore
	\def\@mpfn{mpfootnote}\def\thempfn{\thempfootnote}\c@mpfootnote\z@
	\let\@footnotetext\@mpfootnotetext
	\let\@listdepth\@mplistdepth \@mplistdepth\z@
	\@minipagerestore\@minipagetrue
	\everypar{\global\@minipagefalse\everypar{}}}

\def\endboxedminipage{%
	\par\vskip-\lastskip
	\ifvoid\@mpfootins\else
	  \vskip\skip\@mpfootins\footnoterule\unvbox\@mpfootins\fi
	\vskip\fboxsep
      \egroup % ends the innermost \vbox
      \hskip\fboxsep \vrule\@width\fboxrule
    \egroup % ends the \hbox
    \hrule\@height\fboxrule
  \egroup% ends the vbox/vtop/vcenter
  \if@pboxsw $\fi}

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 01:05:00 PDT
From: Jonathan_Thornburg@mtsg.ubc.ca
Subject: Re: extra space after LaTeX "alleqno.sty" usage -- bug fixed

I recently posted a query to TeXhax on extra space appearing in the
output following use of a document style option "alleqno.sty".  A
local TeX expert has found a fix.  All that's needed is to change
the first \def in the style file to
\def\mygobbletoken{\afterassignment\ignorespaces\let\myjunktoken= }%%%

  Jonathan Thornburg
  Dept. of Geophysics & Astronomy         thornburg@mtsg.ubc.ca
  The University of British Columbia    userbkis@ubcmtsg.bitnet
  Vancouver   BC   V6T 1W5     userbkis%ubcmtsg@um.cc.umich.edu
  Canada                    ubc-vision!ubcmtsg.bitnet!thornburg

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 13:37:01 EDT
From: Claude Laurendeau 7029 <ireqs3!laurend>
Subject: Controlling page parameters within LaTeX

Hello !

We are having some problems controlling locally page parameters within
LaTeX.  We must produce single documents that switch back and forth
between portrait and landscape orientation.

The printing is done on a postscript printer and is controlled by
DVIPS from ArborText.  The physical orientation switching is done
by \specialbop macro.

How can I change the page parameters withing a document; those
parameters being:
   . \oddsidemargin
   . \evensidemargin
   . \textwidth
   . \footskip
         .
         .

Actually we strongly believe that the solution belongs to the
world of output routines

If you have an answer to this problem or any suggestion, please
mail.

For convenience please include your phone number.

Claude Laurendeau
IREQ, Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
Montreal, Quebec,  Canada
mail: laurend@ireqs3.uucp
tel.: (514) 652-8029

Date: Thu, 8 Jun 89 15:26 +01
From: "ERIC CORNELIS, FNDP, DPT MATH, +32 81 229061 (EXT. 2760)"
 <ECORNELIS@BNANDP51>
Subject: Footnotes after each chapter(section, ....) with LaTeX

Does somebody know how I can gather together all the footnotes of a section
(chapter, subsection, ...) at the end of this section (chapter, ...) ?

                Beforehand, thank you for your help.

                Yours TeXly

                                Eric CORNELIS
                                FuNDP
                                (University of Namur)
                                Dpt of Mathematics
                                Rempart de la Vierge 8
                                B-5000 NAMUR (Belgium)

                                E-mail : ECORNELIS@BNANDP51
                                E-mail : ECORNELIS@BNANDP51.BITNET
                                         ECORNELIS@CC.FUNDP.AC.BE

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 12:48 EDT
From: John Lavagnino <LAV%BRANDEIS.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX in the TLS

Our area of interest is mentioned briefly in a recent article about
the state of academic publishing: John Sutherland, ``The making of
codices and careers,'' *Times Literary Supplement*, number 4495, May
26--June 1, 1989, pages 580 and 585.  I quote from page 585:

  The computerization of the academic profession has happened
  remarkably quickly (particularly if one recalls the same
  profession's almost century-long resistance to the typewriter). And
  since the early 1980s, there have been public-domain or low-cost
  typesetting programs available---notably Donald Knuth's TEX
  [sic]---which are wholly adaptable to the desk-top computer. Via
  what are called Device Independent Output Files (DVIs) and laser
  printers (or phototypesetters if there is one handy), it is now
  feasible for authors to set their own books and send proofs for
  examination to the publisher. In this way the academic author can
  reappropriate many primary editorial and design functions and still
  have the coveted press imprint on the finished work. In my subject
  (English literature) I like to think that the scholars who are doing
  most to unsettle things are not Yale's or Duke's theorists but
  relatively unknown pioneers of photocomposition like Thomas C.
  Faulkner, whose *Anatomy of Melancholy* will be published by OUP;
  Peter Shillingsburg, whose collected works of Thackeray will come
  from Garland Press; or G. W. Pigman III, who is editing the
  collected poetry of George Gascoyne for OUP.

[Sutherland argues that this is not an innovation but a return to
tradition: that nineteenth-century authors were usually involved in
those ``primary editorial and design functions,'' and that OUP didn't
stop authors from ``going into OUP's printing shop to collaborate
daily with `their' compositor'' until the 1940s.]

Date: Wed, 7 Jun 89 15:46:41 EDT
From: Michael D. Prange <prange@erl.mit.edu>
Subject: Rotating figure captions

I would like a macro which will generate rotate a figure caption by 90
degrees and place it along the right or left edge of the page.  The
page number should be in its normal place along the bottom of the
page.  It doesn't have to be fancy.  I'm willing to give the exact
placement of the caption as an argument of the macro.  I'm outputing
to a postscript printer, so I suspect that I need two \special
commands, one before the caption to set things up, and one after to
say "Ok, take that and rotate it."  However, I don't know enough
postscript or TeX to implement the macro myself.  Can anyone offer me
any help?

Michael

P.S.  I don't subscribe to TeXhax, so please reply directly to me.

Date: Wed, 07 Jun 89 18:09:11 EDT
From: INHB000 <INHB%MCGILLC.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Peter Golde`s remarks concerning 12pt declaration

As a result of Peter Golde's remarks (on the fact that 12pt declaration
in LaTeX didn't change the size of the large operators and how to fix
it), I have realized that that explains not only why some of my
operators in 12pt style have been looking a bit emaciated, but also the
arrowheads on my \vectors are also too small.  The problems were both
much worse when I tried to make some slides using \LARGE.  The large
operators and the arrowheads are totally out of scale.  His fix did the
job for the operators and for arrowheads, the lines

\font\tenln=line10 \@magscale1 \thinlines
\font\tenln=line10 \@magscale3 \thinlines

respectively, added to the style file fixed them up perfectly.  There is
a downside.  I imagine that these declarations increased the size of the
smallest line that could be drawn, since that would be smaller in the
smaller font.  It would be best to allow the smaller size to be used for
the line fonts, while the arrowheads would be done in the large size.
This would require going into latex.tex and making some changes.  I will
perhaps do this sometime, if it seems warranted.

The reason for executing \thinlines is that it performs a \let that is
otherwise unaltered by the new definition of \tenln.

On another front, after having received one TeXhax a day for two weeks
or so, I have received one in the past two weeks.  I think it was #47.

Michael Barr

%%%
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest