Date: Sat, 17 Jun 89 19:06:41 EDT
From: shirono@ssd.harris.com (Roberto Shironoshita)
Subject: WANTED: DVI --> DataProducts 2655

[ This is a copy of an article I have just posted to USENET.  My apologies ]
[ if anybody has already seen it. ]

< Some time ago, I posted a request for info on a tool to convert DVI >
< files to RIPrint.  Since I have not received any type of replies (not >
< even the "I need one, too" type), and our news setup was somewhat flakey >
< at the time, I have decided to post my request a second time.  My >
< apologies if you have already seen my request. >

Around here we have both Imagen and DataProducts printers.  We have tools
to convert DVI to imPRESS, so I can send stuff to the Imagens.  It gets to
be a pain, however, if the output in question is more than a few pages
long; the paper trays on the Imagens are rather small.  The DataProducts,
on the other hand, have larger paper trays.  My desire is to send large
outputs to the DataProducts (things like the GNU Emacs manual, the GNU
Emacs Lisp manual, the GNUS manual, and the like).  I cannot do this,
unfortunately, until I find a tool that will take my DVI file and convert
it to something the DataProducts will understand.  The DataProducts in
question is a 2655.

I would appreciate any information that anyone out there might have.

Oh, yes, in case it matters, the target machine is a Harris HCX-9, running
CX/UX (a dual-universe version of UNIX, with V.3, 4.2 and 4.3).

Thanks.

Roberto

                               ||   Internet: shirono@ssd.harris.com
     Roberto Shironoshita      ||
      Harris Corporation       ||             ...!novavax---\
   Computer Systems Division   ||   UUCP:     ...!uunet-------!hcx1!shirono
                               ||             ...!mit-eddie-/

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are my own; they in no way reflect the
            opinion or policies of Harris Corporation.

Date: 17 Jun 89   23:52 PST
From: SCHAAD%SLACVM.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU
Subject: HP DeskJet for output from TeXtures (MAC)

I am interested to know if anybody has already used the HP DeskJet (or
DeskJet +) to  print output from TeXtures (MAC's TeX version). If YES,
what software was used? Any problems?

Does anybody see any reason why it should/ shouldn't work?

If it  works, it's probabely THE 300 dpi output device for people who can
not afford a laser printer.

Markus W. Schaad (SCHAAD@SLACVM)

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 17:04:55 EDT
From: jsg@arbortext.com
Subject: Using high-resolution PostScript printers

The recent flurry of comments on TeXhax about printing on high-resolution
PostScript printers prompts me to contribute some of the advice we often
give ArborText's customers who use DVILASER/PS.

There are a couple of ways to reduce the amount of bitmap information in
a PostScript file.  Using DVILASER/PS and perhaps other drivers one can
incrementally download fonts, downloading only those bitmaps that are
actually used.  Particularly for math fonts and display fonts, this
elimination of unused bitmaps can make a vast difference both in the
amount of PostScript that is sent to the printer and in the amount of
printer memory required to print the document.

Another method is to take advantage of the fact that at ordinary reading
distances, the human eye doesn't resolve more than about 600 or 700 dots
per inch.  The higher resolutions provided by typesetting equipment is
there, not to provide higher quality text at true size, but to allow the
production of high-resolution halftones, and to maintain quality if printed
output is later photographically enlarged.  If you configure your driver
to use, say, 746 dpi bitmaps, letting the PostScript interpreter scale up
to 1270 dpi, the printed result will be indistinguishable from the result
of sending full-resolution bitmaps to the printer.  Because the size of a
bitmap varies as the square of the resolution, the lower-resolution bitmaps
will be 35% of the size of the higher-resolution ones, another vast
difference in PostScript file size.

The best way to keep the size of PostScript files small, however, is
to do as much as possible with printer-resident PostScript fonts.
Obtaining tfm files for these need not be a problem.  Along with
DVILASER/PS we provide tfm files for all of the LaserWriter+ fonts,
and we also provide a program to convert other Adobe font metric files
to tfm files.  Similar programs are also available in the public-domain.
Even math will be printable with pure PostScript fonts when Adobe
releases its Lucida Math fonts with their full TeX character sets.
Lucida Math is quite distinctive, however, and people may think twice
about using it alongside anything but the Lucida text fonts.

For people who are partial to Computer Modern, it is also possible
to use the new PostScript outline versions of the Computer Modern fonts
that have been produced by Barry Smith of Blue Sky Research.  The advantages
of these are that they are relatively small (cmr10 occupies about 63000
bytes as a PostScript file, and about half that in the printer's memory),
once downloaded they print very rapidly, and they can reside on a printer's
hard disk.  Their disadvantages are that they only work well at high
resolutions (bitmapped versions of Computer Modern still look better
on 300 dpi printers), and like other true PostScript fonts they are not
subject to incremental downloading (they must be downloaded in their
entirety prior to a print job that uses them).  Currently only 20 of
the most commonly used Computer Modern fonts are available as outlines,
although more are in the works.  Blue Sky sells Macintosh versions,
and ArborText distributes the same fonts on other media.

John Gourlay
ArborText, Inc.
jsg@arbortext.com
(313) 996-3566

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 16:48:51 CET
From: Joachim Lammarsch <RZ92%DHDURZ1.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: TeX-Euro distribution list

Dear TeX friends,

to communicate with other TeX users there are a lot of possibilities:

 TUGboat
 TeXhax
 UKTeX
 TeXmag

These are all digests and the UKTeX is the only one which appears weekly
(TUGboat three or four times a year, TeXhax in uncertain periods and
TeXmag sporadicly).

Three further lists are used in Europe (EARN):

 GUT
 TEX_D-L
 TEX_D-PC

These are lists, which distribute each note (mail) separately. The languages
which are used, are French and German. That's all I know.

In my opinion no real European list exists distributing each note (mail) sepa-
rately and at once. Therefore I am trying to start a list for use in whole
Europe. The language should be different (not only English, French or German).
To my mind onyone should use the language which is necessary to solve his
problem. For example a Spanish TeX user having a question concerning only
Spanish affairs means it's only about interest for Spanish people. Then he
can (should) use his own language. On the other side he can use the
English language hoping for more help. I suppose that the most TeX users in
Europe are understanding this language.

So we'll be able to use English as the only language, but considering
that Europe is a multilingual continent, we should also use the other ones
if it will be useful.

I have named the list

    TEX-EURO

and it is installed at the

    LISTSERV at DHDURZ1

For subscribing you should send the command

    SUB TEX-EURO your_name

to your nearest listserver or to LISTSERV@DHDURZ1.

The list is thought for use in Europe, but all TeX users outside are in-
vited to join to it, if they are interested in it.

I hope that TEX-EURO is a possibility for all the TeX people in Europe, all
the European national groups to get in touch for a better cooperation.

With kind regards
Joachim Lammarsch
(Chairman DANTE)
Acknowledge-To: <RZ92@DHDURZ1>

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 89 21:32:08 +0200
From: Rene' Seindal <seindal@diku.dk>
Subject: Initex vs. virtex

Is there a way, from within a macro package, to see whether it is being loaded
by initex, or by virtex.  The plain macros have been loaded, before the
package is loaded.

Rene' Seindal (seindal@diku.dk).

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 18:39:47 BST
From: Martin Ward <martin%EASBY.DURHAM.AC.UK@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Re: Equation numbers with \cases

> I would like to be able to format an equation with two parts as shown
> below:
>
>                       /
>                       | x,    x<<1;                         (1a)
>               f(x) =  |
>                       | 1/x,  x>>1.                         (1b)
>                       \
>
> The bracket after the = sign is meant to be a large {.  This is similar
> to the output of the \cases command, except that I want equation numbers
> on the right of each part.  If I try
>
>   $$f(x)=\cases{x,&$x\ll0$;\eqno(1a)\cr 1/x,&$x\gg1$.\eqno(1b)\cr}$$
>
> the equation numbers get stuck right after the equation, i.e., they are
> not right justfied.  Sticking \hfil or \hfill before the \eqno does not
> help.

The \hfil doesn't do anything because TeX is setting each component of the
cases in a hbox to its natural width. The natural width of hfil is zero
so it has no effect. For the equation no. to appear at the right margin the
\eqno command must be on the outermost level where the width TeX is using
is the whole line. The solution is to put both numbers together as the
eqno of the whole \cases construct thus:

$$ f(x)=\cases{x,&$x\ll0$;\cr 1/x,&$x\gg1$.\cr}
\eqno \hbox{(1a)}\atop \hbox{(1b)} $$

If the items in the cases construct are large the numbers might not appear
in the right place, you can shift them around by adding an appropriate
\vrule or \vphantom.

			Martin.

My ARPANET address is:  martin%EASBY.DUR.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
OR: martin%uk.ac.dur.easby@nfsnet-relay.ac.uk  UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!easby!martin
JANET: martin@uk.ac.dur.easby    BITNET: martin%dur.easby@ac.uk

Date: Fri, 16 Jun 89 16:01:54 EDT
From: jsv@cs.brown.edu
Subject: Problem with spacing above and below environments

I'm a long-time pure TeX user, now using LaTeX often.
I'm trying to get LaTeX to handle the spacing above and below
list environments like it is supposed to (but doesn't).
If several list environments (including theorems, etc.)
come one after another, with no blank lines in the source code
between the end of one and the start of the next,
then the spacing between the last line of one and the beginning line
of the next should be \topsep + \parskip.  But I'm getting
extra spacing sometimes (though not always), which might
be coming from LaTeX thinking that there is a blank line before
the new environment or perhaps from some extra stretch coming
from somewhere.  In either case that's a bug.

If there is a figure defined, then sometimes there's a lot of extra
spacing before one of the following environments, even
though there are no  blank lines in the source code between
environments.  I've tried putting comment characters immediately
after the \end statment of the environments, hoping that that would
suppress an extraneous CR, but that doesn't work.

LaTeX is supposed to use the \addvspace mechanism for its list
environments, which is supposed to make spacing uniform and not add up
because of redundant spacing commands.

Obviously there's a problem. There's no reason why
LaTeX shouldn't work right and take advantage of TeX's power
to produce precisely correct spacing.  Any ideas/fixes?

Prof. Jeff Vitter                   email: jsv@cs.brown.edu
Dept. of Computer Science           phone: (401) 863-7646
Brown University                    FAX:   (401) 863-7657
Providence, R.I. 02912-1910

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 09:12:14 PDT
From: Mathieu Federspiel <statware!mcf@CS.ORST.EDU>
Subject: Registered trademark

%   In TeXhax, Volume 89 #48, "David F. Rogers" <dfr@cad.usna.mil>
% presents some attempts at a TeX registered trademark.  I have the
% need for the same symbol, and developed a modification of the LaTeX
% \copyright command.  This command works reasonably well, the only
% problem being that the `R' does not always appear centered in the
% circle.  This may be due to the limited fonts available on my
% system.

\newcommand{\rtrademark}{{\raise1.1ex\hbox{{\ooalign{\hfil\raise.40ex\hbox{\rtmf R}\hfil\crcr\mathhexbox20E}}}}}

Mathieu Federspiel                  mcf%statware.uucp@cs.orst.edu
Statware                            {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!statware!mcf
260 SW Madison Avenue, Suite 109    503-753-5382
Corvallis  OR  97333  USA

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 89 15:39:58 BST
From: David Osborne <cczdao%clan.nottingham.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK>
Subject: Microsoft `Rich Text Format'

using a copy of MS Word 3 on a Mac recently, i saved the document in
RTF (`Rich Text Format') and was surprised to see how LaTeX-like it looked.
i have vague recollections of someone mentioning a connection between
the two;  i don't suppose there's a RTF->LaTeX translator to be had anywhere?

dave

           David Osborne|   JANET: d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan
 Cripps Computing Centre|  BITNET: d.osborne%uk.ac.nott.clan@ukacrl.bitnet
University of Nottingham|Internet: d.osborne%uk.ac.nott.clan@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
  Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK|  (Phone: +44 602 484848 x2064)

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 89 23:12 PDT
From: <ASND%TRIUMFER.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: Test for null

Cliff Bergman asks for a macro to test if its parameter is null.
Of course they have to nest properly inside other ifs.
Here are two versions, one is just the \ifnull he asked for
and the other gives two macros--one checking for null parameters
while the other checks for blank parameters:

%  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
%     \ifnull : check for a null parameter.
%               Use in another macro according to:
%               \ifnull{#n}\then null_stuff \else non-null_stuff \fi
\let\then\iftrue
%
\def\ifnull#1\then{\def\P@rtoch@ck{#1}\ifx\P@rtoch@ck\empty}
%   (use \@empty for \LaTeX)
%
% - - - - - - - - - - A L T E R N A T I V E L Y - - - - - - - - - - -
%     \ifnull  and
%     \ifblank : check if parameter is null (empty) or blank (empty or spaces)
%               Use in another macro according to:
%               \ifblank{#n}\then blank_stuff \else non-blank_stuff \fi
%               or \ifnull...
\let\then\iftrue
%
\def\ifnull #1\then{\Ifbl@nk.#1\then}%    this retains spaces
\def\ifblank#1\then{\Ifbl@nk#1.\then}%    this omits spaces
%
\def\Ifbl@nk#1#2\then{\def\P@rToCh@ck{#2}\ifx \P@rToCh@ck \empty}
%   (use \@empty for \LaTeX)
%
%
%                                   Donald Arseneau
%                                   asnd@triumfcl.bitnet
%                                   arseneau@mtsg.ubc.ca

Date: 16 Jun 89 1313
From: e38006@d1.Dartmouth.EDU (GOODLOE)
Subject: Needed: AMS fonts

I wish to obtain the AMS fonts in MF form for use with my PC. If anyone
can assist me it would be greatly appreciated.
                                               Alwyn E. Goodloe
                                               PO Box 4206
                                               Woodbridge Va. 22194
                                         e-mail:goodloe@d2.dartmouth.edu

%%%
%%%  BITNET: send a one-line mail message to LISTSERV@xxx
%%%         SUBSCRIBE TEX-L <your name>    % to subscribe
%%%      or UNSUBSCRIBE TEX-L
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest