Date: Thu 22 Jun 89 07:41:37-EST
From: bbeeton <BNB@VAX01.AMS.COM>
Subject: TeX Users Group

I keep seeing references to TUG that connect it to the American Math
Society (AMS).  While AMS was instrumental in the founding of TUG,
and for many years TUG rented office space in the AMS headquarters
building, there has been no official connection between the two
organizations for quite a few years now.  The AMS still holds the
trademark to TeX, because Knuth assigned it to AMS; similarly, Knuth
assigned the copyrights to the TeXbook and the Metafontbook to the
AMS (the other volumes of Computers & Typesetting are copyright by
Addison-Wesley, Knuth's publisher of long standing).  TUG is the
publisher of record of TUGboat, the TeXniques series (which includes
the PiCTeX manual), and various other items.  I am an employee of
the AMS, not of TUG.  However, TUGboat is entirely independent of AMS
in terms of editorial control, although some AMS facilities are used
for production (a service for which TUG pays standard rates), and my
part in the process is done, as much as possible, on my own time.

While a number of AMS employees and members are active in TUG, the
two organizations remain quite separate, and I would like to see the
confusion ended.
					-- Barbara Beeton

Date: 19 Jun 89 10:09 GMT
From: Slaby <Slaby@urz.ku-eichstaett.dbp.de>
Subject: Annual Meeting of German TeX Users

%=============================================================================

                  First Announcement and Call for Papers

                  8th Annual Meeting of German TeX Users
                   October 11--13, 1989, Eichstaett, FRG

%=============================================================================

This year's Annual Meeting of German TeX Users will take place at the
Catholic University of Eichstaett
          from Wednesday, October 11, to Friday, October 13, 1989.
The conference will be organized by the Computing Center of the Catholic
University of Eichstaett and the recently founded German TeX Users Group
DANTE e.V.

Starting with the general meeting of DANTE on Wednesday afternoon, several
tutorials on TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont will be organized on Thursday;
finally, papers and discussion groups on all TeX-related problems will
be scheduled on Thursday and Friday.

If you are interested in participating in this conference and/or if you
plan to present a paper, please send the attached pre-registration form
to the address given below.
Further questions or suggestions for this meeting should be directed to
Joachim Lammarsch (rz92@dhdurz1.bitnet), the 1. Chairman of DANTE, or to
Dr. Wolfgang A. Slaby (slaby@urz.ku-eichstaett.dbp.de)

Please give copies of this form to your colleagues,
as the mailing list is incomplete.

%=============================================================================

                 8. Annual Meeting of German TeX Users
                         Pre-Registration Form

%=============================================================================

Name   _______________________________________________________________________

Affiliation   ________________________________________________________________

Address   ____________________________________________________________________

Telephone   __________________________________________________________________

E-mail   _____________________________________________________________________

Please tick where appropriate:
    _
   |_|  I plan to participate in the 8. Annual Meeting of German TeX Users

    _
   |_|  I should like to present a paper; preliminary title:
        (abstract of ca. 1 page is enclosed)

    _
   |_|  I am interested in discussion groups on:

    _
   |_|  I intend to participate in the exhibition with these products:
        (exhibition area required: ..... qm)

Send to:            Dr. Wolfgang A. Slaby
                     Catholic University Eichstaett
                     Computing Center
                     Ostenstr. 24
                     D-8078 Eichstaett, F.R. Germany
                     Telephone: (08421) 20-214
                     e-mail: slaby@urz.ku-eichstaett.dbp.de  (DFN X.400)

%=============================================================================

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 11:59:02 EDT
From: caia@EAGLE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Page referencing in Plain TeX

I'm a novice TeX user...  Is there a way to automatically reference a page in
Plain TeX.  For example I'd like to say "see page x for more info." and have
x be filled in automatically.

Caia Grisar
MIT Information Services

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 89 21:15:05 -0500
From: Scott W. Fischer <fischer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu>
Subject: Boxed example environment

Hello-
     I'm trying to define an EXAMPLEBOX environment.  I would like to use
it in either one of the following two ways.

\examplebox{box caption}{contents of box, pictures, lists,
                         unlimited possibilities}
or

\begin{examplebox}[box caption]
contents of box
pictures
lists
etc
\end{examplebox}

The output I would like would be an outlined box with arbitrary contents with
either the caption left justified on the first line of the box, or centered
below (and outside) the box.  Eventually I would like to have the examples
automatically numbered, but that is a separate problem.

Using example 21.3 of The TeXbook, I can get what I want if I assign
the contents of the box to a box register and then use the first style
of calling.  If, however, I just place the contents of the box, rather
than the register name, in the second pair of {} I get errors for
having too many "}"s.  I haven't been able to even come close with
defining a boxed in environment.

Any help, suggestions, similar style fragments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

   /\      /\   || Scott Fischer  (612) 625-0876 || ADA, C, Pascal, Fortran
  //\\ .. //\\  || 4-192 EE/CS, 200 Union St. SE || phones, cabling, network
 ///\((  ))/\\\ || Minneapolis, MN 55455         || diag, documentation --
  / <  `'  > \  || EM: fischer@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu || Slave labor does it all.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 13:06:25 EDT
From: jdavies@bayou.mc.duke.edu (NBSR Systems Manager)
Subject: Needed: bul style

Howdy,
	I've been searching for the  "bul" style for AMStex. This style
	is mentioned on page 20 of "Joy of Tex", but I have not been
	able to locate it in any of the usual archives. It's suppose
	to be the "accepted" style for the "Bulletin of the American
	Mathematical Society".

	Does anyone there know anything about it? Where I might get a copy
	of it?  Does AMS have an e-mail address? etc...  ANY information
	on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
		John Davies

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 13:17:04 EDT
From: Alan Rosselet <rosselet@lake.scar.utoronto.ca>
Subject: Lowercase script and blackboard fonts

I am looking for lowercase versions of the AMS script and blackboard bold
fonts; do they exist?

A. Rosselet
Univ. of Toronto
rosselet@lake.scar.utoronto.ca

Date: 27 Jun 89 14:43 GMT
From: GROTHMANN <GROTHMANN@urz.ku-eichstaett.dbp.de>
Subject: TeX printer fonts

dear tug,
i'm looking for a reference on tex's printer fonts.
where do i get information on the internal
structure of the font files?
I would like to write a program which could generate
characters, without making use of METAFONT.
thanks a lot for your help, yours
R. Grothmann, Ostenstr. 18, D-8087 Eichstaett, W-Germany.

Date: 19-Jun-89 at 18:09 MEZ
From: Eckart Meyer <I7100501%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  How to reach the Aston server from BITNET?

>The modified macro files, and documentation, can be found on the
>Clarkson server, or the Aston server.  You'll need TFMs for the Adobe
>fonts (a set is on Aston, there are others around), and a
>DVI->PostScript converter that can deal with Adobe fonts (again, one

I know about the clarkson server, but what is the Aston server and how
can I reach it from BITNET?
 Eckart

Eckart Meyer                                     Address:   Schleinitzstr. 23
Inst. f. Nachrichtentechnik                                 3300 Braunschweig
Technical University of Braunschweig                             West Germany
                                                 Phone:      +49 531 391 2454
BITNET:   I7100501@DBSTU1
Internet: I7100501%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

Date: Tue, 20 Jun 89 17:23:24 EDT
From: ras@needle1.bellcore.com (Raymond A. Schnitzler)
Subject: Re: BibTeX .bst cross reference generator

I have modified Rick Zaccone's handy create.xref nawk script
	to work with old-style awk.  It is now a full shell
	script which calls tr, sort, and awk (twice), though
	I am sure that there are cleaner ways to do this.

It seems to work, but has not been extensively tested.

Ray Schnitzler
Bellcore (Bell Communications Research)
Internet:  schnitz@bellcore.bellcore.com
Telephone (work) (201) 758-2320

%-----------remove anything before this line----------
#!/bin/sh

# This shell script will generate a cross reference listing of all of
# the functions in a BibTeX style file (.bst file).  I derived it from
# Rick Zaccone's new awk (nawk) script.  It's real handy if you intend
# to do any BibTeX style hacking.  It uses tr, sort, and old awk.

# Please send me any comments or bug fixes, as well as any blame, or
# style complaints.
#
# Ray Schnitzler
# schnitz@bellcore.bellcore.com
#
# Credit for the idea and any other nice things go to:
#
# Rick Zaccone
# zaccone@bknlvms.bitnet
# zaccone@rigel.bucknell.edu

# This awk script will create a list of functions and the line numbers
# on which they are used (for bibtex .bst files).
# If this file is named create.xref and is executable then
# to run: create.xref file.bst > xref
# Note that the first number for each entry is where the function is
# defined.  This script creates and destroys a temporary file called
# "create.xref.tmp".
# This is version 3.0.1, 6/20/89.  R.A. Schnitzler,
#	schnitz@bellcore.bellcore.com
# based on version 3.0, 5/5/89.  Rick Zaccone
#	zaccone@sol.bucknell.edu
#	zaccone@bknlvms.bitnet

tr "'{}" " " < $1  | awk '
BEGIN   {
        # braces, spaces and tabs are field separators.
#        FS = "[\{\} \t]+"
}

{
#  print $1;
  if ( $1 == "FUNCTION" ) {
    idx[$2] = $2 ": " NR;
#    print $1 "*" $2 "+" idx[$2] "(" NR ")" > "cre";
  } else {
    for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++)
      {
	if (index($i,"%"))
	  break  # ignore comments
	else if (idx[$i] != "")
	  {
	    idx[$i] = idx[$i] " " NR ;
#	    print $i "+" idx[$i] "(" NR ")" > "cre" ;
	  } ;
      }
  }
}

END   {
# Print results.   Wrap lines longer than 80 bytes.
  for (name in idx)
    if (idx[name] != "") {
      print idx[name] > "create.xref.tmp" ;
    }
} '

#echo "pass 1 complete"
sort create.xref.tmp | awk '
{
  if (length($0) < 80)
    print
  else{
    temp = "" ;
    line = "" ;
    for (i = 1; i <= NF; i++){
      temp = temp $i " " ;
      if (length(temp) >= 80){
	print line ;
	temp = "        " $i " " ;
      }
      line = temp ;
    }
    print line ;
  }
}'

rm create.xref.tmp

exit 0

Date: Wed, 21 Jun 89 16:25:09 CST
From: "Charles H. Franklin" <C38871CF%WUVMD.BITNET@UWAVM.ACS.WASHINGTON.EDU>
Subject: LaTeX Problem with Enumerate within Flushleft

I've encountered a strange problem using enumerate within a flushleft
environment. The letter (TeX source below) comes out formated as

           Dear Miss. Heavyhand,

           There are some important changes to note which I would
           like to point out for special attention. These are all
           marked on the galleys.

        1. The title should be ...

        2. There are several errors in the tables ...

           If you think we are wrong ...

           With deepest appreciation,
           {\etc}

    Why are the numbers for the enumerated list printed in the left
margin instead of at the left edge of the text area?  The real letter,
with the labels sticking out in the margin, is not likely to impress my
editor and convince her to restore my perfect prose!

The input TeX file, should you wish to check it is:
%=========================Begin Example=================================
\documentstyle[11pt]{letter}
\address{}
\signature{Charles H. Franklin}
\begin{document}
\begin{letter}{Miss. Edwina Heavyhand, Assistant Editor \\
{\em American Review of Everything} \\
Moo State University Press \\
East Lansing, MI  48210}
\opening{Dear Miss. Heavyhand,}

\begin{flushleft}

There are some important changes to note, which I would like to point
out for special attention. These are all marked on the galleys.
\begin{enumerate}

    \item The title should be {\sf A Review of Everything, with Notes on
Anything}. Your revised title, {\sf Much Ado about Nothing} seems to us
to miss the substance of the article.

    \item There are several errors in the tables, some of them
consequential. We've fixed the ones which fail to support our thesis.

\end{enumerate}

If you think we are wrong on some of these points, please give us a
call. Frankly, we can't imagine that, but then we couldn't imagine that
you would butcher our article in the first place.

With deepest appreciation,
\end{flushleft}

\closing{Best wishes,}
\end{letter}
\end{document}
\bye
%=========================End Example===================================

Thanks,

Charles Franklin
Washington University
Bitnet: C38871CF@WUVMD

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 89 09:35:44 -0400
From: lang@PRC.Unisys.COM
Subject: Needed: previewer for plain old terminals

Does anyone know of a TeX/LaTeX "previewer"
for plain old dumb terminals that would
work like nroff?  (I realize this wouldn't
really be a previewer, but I assume the intent
of the request is clear.)
I know of detex, but that doesn't really
do what I'm after.  Many thanks.

Francois-Michel Lang
Paoli Research Center, Unisys Corporation lang@prc.unisys.com (215) 648-7256
Dept of Comp & Info Science, U of PA      lang@cis.upenn.edu  (215) 898-9511

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 89 09:24:16 BST
From: ZLSIIAL%cms.manchester-computing-centre.ac.uk@NSFnet-Relay.AC.UK
Subject: Needed: CMS Tektronix previewer

We are using TeX 2.94 on a CMS system.  Our graphics terminals are
mostly PC's running Tektronix 4010 emulators and connected to the
CMS system through a 7171.  Does anyone have a TeX previewer which
works in such a setup?

Please respond to
               YMUMAL%UMIST.CN.PA@UKACRL
         or    YMUMAL@PA.CN.UMIST.AC.UK

                                   A. V. Le Blanc
                                   Regional Computer Centre
                                   University of Manchester

%%%
%%% Here is the BITNET re-distribution tree as shown in a recent
%%% REVIEW (The geography is guessed at from the subscription list)
%%%
%%%                        CLVM    TAMVM1      FINHUTC
%%%                           |    |     (Finland, UK, Scand, CERN)
%%%                           |    |           |
%%%  TeXhax ----> UWAVM ----- MARIST ----- EB0UB011 ----- BNANDP11
%%%                           |     (France,Italy,Spain)  (Belgium)
%%%                           |                |
%%%                        UBVM      HEARN --- DEARN
%%%                              (Netherlands) (Germany)
%%%
%%% Internet: send a similar one line mail message to
%%%           TeXhax-request@cs.washington.edu
%%% All submissions to: TeXhax@cs.washington.edu
%%%
%%% Back issues available for FTPing as:
%%%          machine:              directory:  filename:
%%%   JUNE.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU         TeXhax/TeXhaxyy.nn
%%%              yy = last two digits of current year
%%%                       nn = issue number
%%%
%%%\bye
%%%

End of TeXhax Digest