[comp.text] Parallel itemize itwems

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (07/13/89)

I would like to produce 2-3 across items
in a LaTeX document. Similar to what follows.

o apple		o bike		o book1
o pear		o car		o book2
o orange	o plane		o book3

Where the "o" represent bullets.

I've seen this in some documents.
Do they do this with a \item with \hspace ?

Any help is appreciated.
--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (07/14/89)

In article <31351@ccicpg.UUCP> swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
| I would like to produce 2-3 across items
| in a LaTeX document. Similar to what follows.
|
| o apple	o bike	o book1
| o pear	o car	o book2
| o orange	o plane	o book3
|
| Where the "o" represent bullets.

This isn't itemize, but it should work...

\begin{tabular}{@{$\bullet$}l@{$\bullet}l@{$\bullet}l}
	apple	& bike	& book1 \\
	pear	& car	& book2 \\
	orange	& plane	& book3
\end{tabular}

Add spacing as desired.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Dirk Grunwald) (07/14/89)

the following should do it, although not as cleanly as desired.
you can put extra space between the columns using @ notation;
see the latex guide

\begin{tabular}{llllll}
o & apple	&  o & bike	&  o & book1
o & pear	&  o & car	&  o & book2
o & orange	&  o & plane	&  o & book3
\end{tabular}
--
Dirk Grunwald -- Univ. of Illinois 		  (grunwald@flute.cs.uiuc.edu)

leichter@CS.YALE.EDU (Jerry Leichter (LEICHTER-JERRY@CS.YALE.EDU)) (07/15/89)

In article <31351@ccicpg.UUCP>, swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes...
>I would like to produce 2-3 across items
>in a LaTeX document. Similar to what follows.
>

>o apple	o bike		o book1
>o pear		o car		o book2
>o orange	o plane		o book3
>
>Where the "o" represent bullets.
>
>I've seen this in some documents.
>Do they do this with a \item with \hspace ?
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>--
>Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
>(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard
>			Irvine, CA 92718
>uunet!ccicpg!swonk

There are (at least) three different ways to do this; they differ partly in
how you view what you are doing:

a)  If you are viewing the three columns as independent itemized lists, you
	should build the lists in three minipages, storing the results into
	saveboxes, and then place the three saveboxes on the page.  Note
	that if some item in one list is longer than the corresponding items
	in the others, they won't line up - the three columns are really
	independent.

b)  If you are just viewing this as a kind of "picture", forget about itemize
	and do it as either a tabular or tabbing environment.  (tabular is
	probably the more appropriate, since it looks as if you are thinking
	of this as having two dimensions of organization.  Insert the bullets
	yourself - the @{text} option will be helpful.

c)  If you are viewing this as a list - most likely in the order (apple, bike,
	book1, pear, ...) - then you could define a new list environment to
	lay things out in multiple columns.  This is the hardest approach, but
	it may be the most appropriate in some situations.

							-- Jerry