[comp.text] Problem in [twocolumn] w. textheigh

gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/16/89)

/* Written  2:50 am  Jul 16, 1989 by gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:uiuc.tex */
/* ---------- "Problem in [twocolumn] w. textheigh" ---------- */
Hi,

I have a problem with \textheight under \documentstyle[twocolumn]{article}
in LaTeX.  I am trying to get IEEE Transaction style text format.
But the two columns become different in their length.

Is this a known bug?  I recall that I've seen some postings about this.  But
at that time I did not pay any attention.

Thanks for any help.

                  Hugh

                  gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
		  song@ardent1.ceg.uiuc.edu

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:uiuc.tex */

burns@bobcat.gatech.edu (James E. Burns) (07/18/89)

In article <113600009@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  2:50 am  Jul 16, 1989 by gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:uiuc.tex */
>/* ---------- "Problem in [twocolumn] w. textheigh" ---------- */
>
>I have a problem with \textheight under \documentstyle[twocolumn]{article}
>in LaTeX.  I am trying to get IEEE Transaction style text format.
>But the two columns become different in their length.
>
>                  Hugh
>
>                  gsg0384@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>		  song@ardent1.ceg.uiuc.edu
>
>/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:uiuc.tex */

You did not describe exactly what you did with \textheight, but
my guess is you simply changed it directly.  The problem is that
there are other `hidden' parameters in \LaTeX which has effect
in two column mode (\@colht and \@colroom).  These should be
reset if \textheight is changed.  (Similarly, \linewidth,
\oddsidemargin and \evensidemargin should be reset if \textwidth
is changed.)  I have a style called fullpages which does this
(and a bit more).  I will be happy to email a copy if you wish.

jim burns

James E. Burns    (404) 894-3816
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332-0280
CSNet & ARPA :  burns@GATech.edu
uucp:	...!{akgua,allegra,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,seismo,ulysses}!gatech!burns