[comp.text] Upright varepsilon

ben@tasis.utas.oz.au@munnari.oz (Ben Lian) (07/19/89)

Sigh. Here goes. You can really tell I'm a fairly new TeX user....

It MUST be possible to get an upright \varepsilon the same size as the
capital Greek characters. I am trying to do $T_{\Sigma,\upvarepsilon}$,
where \upvarepsilon is a command which gives me what I want.
I seem to recall having seen something in the TeXbook showing how to
coerce TeX into slanting characters to the left. Getting the upright
\varepsilon the right size if obviously no problem.

Ben Lian

Benjamin Y H Lian             ACSnet: ben@tasis.utas.oz
Dept. of EE & CS              ARPA  : ben%tasis.utas.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
University of Tasmania        BITnet: munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben@
GPO Box 252C                          uunet.uu.net
Hobart, Tasmania 7001         UUCP  : {enea,hplabs,mcvax,uunet,ukc}!
A U S T R A L I A                     munnari!tasis.utas.oz!ben

Tel:  +61-02-202380           Fax:  +61-02-202713

"Fortunately the computer virus did no harm to our records.  It was
immediately devoured by all the bugs in our programming."

-- Cartoon, CW Australia

Horne-Scott@cs.yale.edu (Scott Horne) (07/19/89)

In article <962@diemen.cc.utas.oz>, ben@tasis (Ben Lian) writes:

> Sigh. Here goes. You can really tell I'm a fairly new TeX user....

As were all of us at one time....

> It MUST be possible to get an upright \varepsilon the same size as the
> capital Greek characters. I am trying to do $T_{\Sigma,\upvarepsilon}$,
> where \upvarepsilon is a command which gives me what I want.
> I seem to recall having seen something in the TeXbook showing how to
> coerce TeX into slanting characters to the left. Getting the upright
> \varepsilon the right size if obviously no problem.

What you probably saw in _The TeXbook_ was ``unslanted italic'' in Chapter 4.
Well, that was obtained by a special font (which in turn was obtained by
setting the slant to zero in the regular italic font).

This can't be achieved in TeX.  To achieve what you want, you'll need to learn
METAFONT.

But you probably shouldn't use the upright \varepsilon.  What you may want is
a sort of script `E'.  Something similar can be obtained with `{\cal E}'.

					--Scott

Scott Horne                              Hacker-in-Chief, Yale CS Dept Facility
horne@cs.Yale.edu                         ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
Home: 203 789-0877     SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520
Work: 203 432-1260              Summer residence:  175 Dwight St, New Haven, CT
Dare I speak for the amorphous gallimaufry of intellectual thought called Yale?