[comp.text] automatic document indexing

dbf@myrias.uucp (David Ferrier) (07/08/89)

Does anyone know of anything for troff that will allow me
to specify the words or phrases I want to index, then generate
an alphabetical index consisting of these words and phrases with
the pages where they appear in the document?
--
David Ferrier                            | computer:
Edmonton, Alberta                        | a million morons

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (07/08/89)

From article <615853968.29896@myrias.uucp>, by dbf@myrias.uucp (David Ferrier):
> Does anyone know of anything for troff that will allow me
> to specify the words or phrases I want to index, then generate
> an alphabetical index consisting of these words and phrases with
> the pages where they appear in the document?

Such tools, subj and ndx, are in DWB 2.0 (and Eroff).

Ken Greer
Elan Computer Group, Inc.
{ames,hplabs,uunet}!elan!kg
415-964-2200

jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Jingbai Wang) (07/13/89)

In article <615853968.29896@myrias.uucp> dbf@myrias.uucp (David Ferrier) writes:
>Does anyone know of anything for troff that will allow me
>to specify the words or phrases I want to index, then generate
>an alphabetical index consisting of these words and phrases with
>the pages where they appear in the document?

I have created something called `indexor' in C for introducing index
entries and glossary entries in a Scribe .mss file (for all the four
Scribe @index, @indexentry, @seealso, @indexsecondary commands) and
LaTeX \index command. It can be setup for any program like troff. It
was designed for VMS, DOS and UNIX with an ANSI terminal, but I haven't
fully tested it out on UNIX. The program itself is a part of my Scribe
TEC.mak database package (distributed freely, and very powerful). If
you are interested, I will make it available. If I find time to debug
it on UNIX (BSD first), I will do it shortly.

JB Wang

jbw@pittvms.bitnet
jbw@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu

bsa@telotech.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (07/21/89)

I assembled some klugey stuff for troff -mm (should work under other macro
packages, but the index formatting macros produce -mm-like output).  Ask and
ye shall receive.

++Brandon