[comp.text] alpha testers needed for groff

jjc@jclark.UUCP (James Clark) (07/20/89)

I'm looking for a few people to alpha test groff, a troff I've been
writing for GNU.

Groff is written in C++. It is designed to be compatible with troff's
macros and preprocessors; it doesn't yet have any of its own.  It uses
TeX tfm font metric files, and can produce both TeX dvi output and
PostScript.

So I'm looking for people who:

* have the current version of g++ (1.35.1-) working and know C++ (you
  might be able to port it to cfront 2.0, but I haven't tried);

* have troff running, know troff well and have plenty of troff
  macros and documents which they can try out;

* have TeX and Metafont running (you might be able to manage without
  them if you have a PostScript printer); and

* are prepared to devote time and effort to installation and testing.

Be warned that there is no documentation yet, so you will need to be
prepared to use the source.

James Clark
jjc@jclark.uucp
uunet!mcvax!ukc!jclark!jjc

rick@pcrat.uucp (Rick Richardson) (07/21/89)

In article <JJC.89Jul20121433@jclark.UUCP> jjc@jclark.UUCP (James Clark) writes:
>I'm looking for a few people to alpha test groff, a troff I've been
>writing for GNU.

James:
	We've talked before concerning groff, my point being that
not supporting ditroff device independant format is a lossage for
groff, since indexers and high quality output postprocessors
won't be able to be used.  I'd consider adding ditroff output
to groff myself.  I've got TeX up here (but we never use it),
and Metafont (which we do use), and put G++ up during a time
when it wasn't stable.
	I'd like to see the source to evaluate for myself the
probability of adding ditroff output format.

-Rick
--
Rick Richardson | JetRoff "di"-troff to LaserJet Postprocessor|uunet!pcrat!dry2
PC Research,Inc.| Mail: uunet!pcrat!jetroff; For anon uucp do:|for Dhrystone 2