[comp.text] .pic files

swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) (07/21/89)

I received some *.pic files with a bunch of
*.tex files. They seem to be some type of ASCII
drawing specification file. Can anyone clue me in
to what utility is used to generate an output file
from these sources.

Also, what is psfig?

thanks

--
Glenn L. Swonk		CCI Computers
(714)458-7282		9801 Muirlands Boulevard

beck@utgard.cs.cornell.edu (Micah Beck) (07/22/89)

In article <32442@ccicpg.UUCP> swonk@ccicpg.UUCP (Glen Swonk) writes:
>I received some *.pic files with a bunch of
>*.tex files. They seem to be some type of ASCII
>drawing specification file. Can anyone clue me in
>to what utility is used to generate an output file
>from these sources.

PIC is the language of a preprocessor for troff.  The way I'd recommend
using it in  a LaTeX document is to use the TransFig package.  PIC is
translated into an intermediate form, from which many LaTeX-compatible
formats can generated.  TransFig is available via anonymous FTP
from svax.cs.cornell.edu:~ftp/pub/ftp/transfig.tar.Z, or from the
Clarkson archive server (sun.soe.clarkson.edu).

>Also, what is psfig?

PSFig is macro package for including PostScript figures in TeX documents.
It leaves appropriate space in the TeX document, does scaling and positioning.

Micah Beck
beck@cs.cornell.edu
Cornell CS Dept